inTank Media Baskets

NJKayakAngler's JBJ Cubey build

NJKayakAngler

NJKayakAngler

Wanted something small and all in one. After reading mixed reviews about this tank I figured why not give it a try. The tank will be kept stock with no mods except a heater and filter media.

JBJ Cubey 3 gallon

Grey Sand about 3 lbs

4 lbs. real reef rock (very purple)

Thank was started today so will be waiting up the cycle. Then adding corals and possibly a small goby

Will post pictures once it clears up.

NJKayakAngler

Here are a few pictures I kept it simple and went with one single piece of live rock.

Close up of the rock.

post-77538-0-35517700-1368963886_thumb.jpg

post-77538-0-62891500-1368963908_thumb.jpg

post-77538-0-91108900-1368964101_thumb.jpg

NJKayakAngler

Well I made a modification today to hopefully help the surface flow and remove the surface dirt put a Hydor flo on ther tank works great with the low flow of the pump also since everything came from my esablished tank so far no cycle so I added a few zoa frags to see how they do.

IMG_1318_zps43bb3bfe.jpg

IMG_1317_zpsb4a50c0a.jpg

NJKayakAngler

Have been testing daily with perfect results and the Zoa frags are doing great so I added a bar goby and a 2 polyp frag of Rastas to the tank. I did remove the hydor flo as it kept sticking in one spot do to low flow I guess. Very happy with the color from the LEDs but not sure if they are strong enough.

• 2 months later...
  • 2 months later...

Yeah I wasn't too impressed with those tanks, especially for the crazy high price tag they have. I used one to set up a pico at the store I was working at, the lights kept colt and zoas decently. Shoddy build quality, very cheap materials, no surface skimming overflow (it built up crazy film on the water), doesn't even include filter media (for a $130 three gallon tank that's a bit ridiculous), after a week or two the screws holding the led fixture to the lid rusted. The pros were that it did look good and it had practically zero evaporation.

If someone were to ask me about whether I'd recommend that tank it would be a flat out "no."

You did have a good looking set up going. Too bad the tank crapped out on you.

NJKayakAngler

I have decided to rebuild this tank I bought a new eheim pump and have been working on a new 3 watt Cree LED set up also going to try and build some kind of way to skim the surface. I really liked the look of this system set up

I have decided to rebuild this tank I bought a new eheim pump and have been working on a new 3 watt Cree LED set up also going to try and build some kind of way to skim the surface. I really liked the look of this system set up

When I was setting up the display at the store I immediately wanted to get my dremel and just cut a shallow U notch above the little overflow they already have in there to allow for some surface skim. Of course I couldn't do it, but that's what I would have done.

Other things I'd do to the tank is extend the hose coming off the pump so it can be dropped down to the bottom of the chamber. That little table they have the pump sitting on is kinda silly and unneeded.

Other than that, a lighting upgrade, but I don't know how you could do it and still keep the look of the tank, I'd end up pulling the lid off and running it with a par30 or 38 over it. I suppose you could make something from acrylic and keep the hinge so you can still use the door arms it already has.

NJKayakAngler

I will post pics as I build to make it easier to understand the lighting. I can tell you on thing I will be able to keep SPS in this tank without a problem.

• 2 weeks later...
NJKayakAngler

Well all the mods started today. I made a custom overflow box and sealed off the lower intake hole. Tomorrow will be adding sand and water also some rock and then give it a week before coral

NJKayakAngler

Added the live sand and salt water today and man does the overflow box make a huge difference. Will post a few pics once the tank clears up.

You'll have to use an image hosting site. Trying to use attachments here won't last long, you'll end up running out of space soon. I use Flickr myself.

Imgur works, too. Just don't submit them to the imgur public gallery

I used Imgur for a while. The problem with that site is if you don't subscribe they'll start hiding your photos. That's why I switched to Flickr.

Can I use that from an iPad?

I can use Flickr from my phone no problem.

• 2 weeks later...
NJKayakAngler

Well after a really stupid move on my part I killed a bunch of my zoas the water I added was fresh and not salt so after adding a couple frags last week without testing and wondering why after the next day everything was melting I figured it out so I just resarted the tank and added rock finally

post-77538-0-43792200-1387119085_thumb.jpg

• 3 weeks later...
NJKayakAngler

Tank is doing great but the rock being dead rock is taking awhile to cure and cycle the tank so I haven't added anything yet I'm hoping to start this new year off with this tank and actually add corals within a day or two

• 1 month later...
NJKayakAngler

Tank finally fully cycled and is starting to look pretty good. I will be adding some clean up crew and a few frags this weekend. Do you think 3- 3watt LEDs will be overkill on this tank? Honking 1 cool white, 1 royal blue, and 1- UV

Archived