Premium Aquatics Aquarium Supplies

Eucheuma Spinosum macro care/What to expect

venturalvn

venturalvn

Just bought some Eucheuma Spinosum macro algae as an add on to an online order, and while I love the way it looks I have no idea how to care for it.

I tried to look it up but didnt seem to find much, so maybe there's a better common name to use?

Anyways it smelled pretty bad out of the bag after shipping, but kinda just like seaweed at the beach smells. Is this normal?

Whats with trimming it? Do I just prune it like a plant?

Is this even a good macro to have for display??

Thanks!

20130517_172845.jpg

Eucheuma spinosum is an annual plant that prefers cooler temperatures, good flow and moderate to high light. It reproduces by essentially breaking apart and scattering its remnants in the current. I've found one decent government text online describing cultivation techniques. I've given up on keeping the plant long term.

venturalvn

Eucheuma spinosum is an annual plant that prefers cooler temperatures, good flow and moderate to high light. It reproduces by essentially breaking apart and scattering its remnants in the current. I've found one decent government text online describing cultivation techniques. I've given up on keeping the plant long term.

Thanks. The bag was pretty warm when it was delivered so hopefully it doesnt rot away over the next couple days.

It seems to do okay in my tank. I keep them in semi-low lighting in a low-flow area.

Thanks. Its low flow and half way up the tank with par38 LEDs 10-12" off the water. In your experience is that detrimental positioning?

And what temp do you keep your tank?

venturalvn

Ok good. What does it look like when it melts? Will it turn pale and you have to cut it away or will it simply disintegrate?

venturalvn

Well this stuff had a pretty big die off. Not sure if it was because it was shipped with very little water or if it was from the heat during the shipping or if this is normal. In any case when I opened the bag it smelled awful and I assumed there would be a die off anyways, but this was bigger than I expected. Probably only about 10% of it left after the weekend.

It also leeched something into the water over the weekend that the other corals in the water didn't like. Nothing showed on the "main" water param tests, but after I removed the macro and did a water change everything snapped back into perfect shape.

I've cut off all the death and tried to save what was left, but I don't have high hopes.

Archived