Premium Aquatics Aquarium Supplies

What are these slug like things?!?

geoffgarcia

geoffgarcia

where to start...

at first there was just one...

this slug like critter, a snail w/o a shell looking thing, all white slight hint of brown (not really)

I didn't think anything of it....

Over the past 3 months more and more have  been coming outta the wood work (or maybe they are reproducing?

I see them mostly on the glass, and 85% of the time I see them its when I come down at night and turn on the lights to see whats going on in there, and they all rush back under the rocks....

I'll try to take some pics, but my camera SUCKS!!!

any clue what these could be? should I take em out and try to get rid of them?

Guest AbSoluTc

Beleive it or not, they are good!  I have the same situation, just 100x more :)  I have white, brown and black.  The black ones seem to reproduce like madd!  The white ones are a little slower, but they do grow.  Some of mine you can see inside of them, their little tummies or hearts or whatever the red thing is.  No, they are not flatworms :)  They are beneficial and appear to a hellofalot better job of cleaning the glass than any snail I have had.  They move quick - especially when the lights come on.  Only a couple of brave souls stay out!

Stomatella was my first thought too, but geoffgarcia said they don't have a shell. As far as I know, all Stomatellas have a flat shell. Of course it could be that the shell blended in to the point where it was difficult to discern.

Joe, yeah, that's what I figured.  The shells are quite easy to miss if you're not looking for them.  That's part of the reason I posted links to some pics...just to make sure it's the same thing.  But I don't know what else they'd be...slug-like, multiplying, come out at night, move pretty quickly for snails.  Who knows.  Guess we'll see what he says.

Carinya

Archived