post-79745-0-13719200-1368996471_thumb.jpeg

post-79745-0-21972700-1368673769_thumb.jpg

post-79745-0-03358500-1368674699_thumb.jpg

post-79745-0-46436800-1368674752_thumb.jpg

post-79745-0-36004000-1368674896_thumb.jpg

• Replies 298
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Oh yes. Recommendations for Filter Media? I heard it's a sin to stick to the stock media that IM provides. And I am no sinner.

I did some research and stumbled upon Stevie T's Media Basket. I don't think there's one available for the Nuvo 24 yet. And I'm almost certain the baskets for Nuvo 16/30/38 won't fit in the 24.

everyone here seems to use some combo of filter floss and other stuff that I can't think of off the top of my head. I haven't gotten my hands on any yet (after getting a new filter and so on for my tank)

That tank looks sweet, though. Can't wait for you to get it going.

God damn these Nuvos are nice. Glad to see you have an undamaged tank in your hands, finally. The Razor looks absolutely stunning above it too - what are you using to hang it on the tank? I want to go to there. :wub:

Throw that shitty media basket out and message Stevie T. I'm sure he's working on a basket for the 24. IMO for filtration you should:

Either do very frequent water changes or get an airstone skimmer (PicO, Gnome, Mame)
Run GAC. In one of the new IM media reactors if you can afford it, with some GFO. Otherwise GAC in a bag.
Physical filtration? I use Coralife pads, they seem dense and are easy to cut. Stevie T could hook you up too. I'd also recommend purigen in a bag somewhere in there.

I'd also recommend purigen in a bag somewhere in there.

that's the one I was trying to remember. XD

God damn these Nuvos are nice. Glad to see you have an undamaged tank in your hands, finally. The Razor looks absolutely stunning above it too - what are you using to hang it on the tank? I want to go to there. :wub:

Throw that shitty media basket out and message Stevie T. I'm sure he's working on a basket for the 24. IMO for filtration you should:

Either do very frequent water changes or get an airstone skimmer (PicO, Gnome, Mame)

Run GAC. In one of the new IM media reactors if you can afford it, with some GFO. Otherwise GAC in a bag.

Physical filtration? I use Coralife pads, they seem dense and are easy to cut. Stevie T could hook you up too. I'd also recommend purigen in a bag somewhere in there.

The Razor came with a really sleek tank top mount and a hanging kit. I might hang it higher when i set it up so i can get more coverage.

Already contacted Stevie T's through his website. :)

Yeah I've been looking at getting both the IM Skimmer and the Media reactor. Perfect fit in the dedicated chambers.

Thanks for the recco. So I can just simply mix GAC and GFO together?

Id do floss, carbon, purigen. Run carbon/gfo mixed if you go with the minimax reactor.

not to hijack Jay's thread, but what do I run in my little ac20? :/ I just got it but all I have is the stuff it came with. I wasn't sure what to get for it. I don't really have anything in my tank right now, though.So I'm not too worried about things just yet.

what's his site?

Id do floss, carbon, purigen. Run carbon/gfo mixed if you go with the minimax reactor.

Seems like Purigen is the way to go. And Purigen it is.

The minimax reactor has been getting some rave reviews. How do you like yours?

The Razor came with a really sleek tank top mount and a hanging kit. I might hang it higher when i set it up so i can get more coverage.

Yeah I've been looking at getting both the IM Skimmer and the Media reactor. Perfect fit in the dedicated chambers.

Thanks for the recco. So I can just simply mix GAC and GFO together?

Yeah, carbon is much softer than gfo so you cant have them tumble or the carbon would be turned into dust, also gfo will clump up if you dont let it tumble so that is why you run them mixed. I have the minimax and i love it.

not to hijack Jay's thread, but what do I run in my little ac20? :/ I just got it but all I have is the stuff it came with. I wasn't sure what to get for it. I don't really have anything in my tank right now, though.So I'm not too worried about things just yet.

what's his site?

Hijack all you want.

Here's his site.

http://www.mediabaskets.com

I posted a little review in my thread but short story, I love it. Everything you could want in a nano reactor, one of the best purchases I've made lately.

Yeah, carbon is much softer than gfo so you cant have them tumble or the carbon would be turned into dust, also gfo will clump up if you dont let it tumble so that is why you run them mixed. I have the minimax and i love it.

Sweet! I'm gonna get myself some minimax!!!

what's his site?

I would definitely do the intank media basket, little pricey but its a good thing to have. Also for your media I wouldnt run anything it came with (including the sponge), get yourself some filter floss and replace it every couple of days. Run purigen and carbon in a mesh bag if you can. Water changes will be your friend.

Btw i love your tank, with a 36" length you can really come up with some killer aquascapes..

I would definitely do the intank media basket, little pricey but its a good thing to have. Also for your media I wouldnt run anything it came with (including the sponge), get yourself some filter floss and replace it every couple of days. Run purigen and carbon in a mesh bag if you can. Water changes will be your friend.

Btw i love your tank, with a 36" length you can really come up with some killer aquascapes..

Here's a stupid question. Should I start using the media reactor during tank cycling of after the tank is cycled?

I have some crazy ideas for Aquascaping. Will sketch up a plan and propose it to you guys. Let me know what you think.

I already am running it, but like I said, there's really nothing in my tank. some feather dusters, a snail now, 2 hh bivalves. other than that, nothing because of what happened a few weeks ago. I'm trying to figure out where to get filter floss and such. I've never even seen it x_x

Tristan's setup is what I base my recommendations on (and what I purchased for my custom pico setup)

I guess Tristan's Da Man!

I already am running it, but like I said, there's really nothing in my tank. some feather dusters, a snail now, 2 hh bivalves. other than that, nothing because of what happened a few weeks ago. I'm trying to figure out where to get filter floss and such. I've never even seen it x_x

Girl! Amazon! You can get anything on Amazon. I buy my toothpaste in bulk from Amazon.

ZROGST recommended Caralife Pads. Amazon selling it cheap right now.

http://www.amazon.com/Coralife-Energy-Savers-ACL01219-Fluorescent/dp/B000256AD4/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1368680791&sr=8-1&keywords=coralife+pads

And I believe any generic filter floss should work. Here.

http://www.amazon.com/Acurel-LLC-100-Percent-Polyester-8-Ounce/dp/B000YJ4BMU/ref=sr_1_1?s=pet-supplies&ie=UTF8&qid=1368680979&sr=1-1&keywords=filter+floss

Girl! Amazon! You can get anything on Amazon. I buy my toothpaste in bulk from Amazon.

ZROGST recommended Caralife Pads. Amazon selling it cheap right now.

http://www.amazon.com/Coralife-Energy-Savers-ACL01219-Fluorescent/dp/B000256AD4/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1368680791&sr=8-1&keywords=coralife+pads

And I believe any generic filter floss should work. Here.

http://www.amazon.com/Acurel-LLC-100-Percent-Polyester-8-Ounce/dp/B000YJ4BMU/ref=sr_1_1?s=pet-supplies&ie=UTF8&qid=1368680979&sr=1-1&keywords=filter+floss

thanks. I just don't have any money in my account right now. I'll have to go put my cash into my account in a bit or tomorrow. :P I'm also feeling lazy right now. (really tired despite having just drank a double shot energy drink. meh)

wow, I take that back! I have a few $$ left in my account - god only knows where it came from because I've been broke for a while XD I have enough for the 14 oz bag of the filter floss.

wow, I take that back! I have a few $$ left in my account - god only knows where it came from because I've been broke for a while XD I have enough for the 14 oz bag of the filter floss.

There you go! Thank the digital gods for Amazon.

There you go! Thank the digital gods for Amazon.

and thank YOU! <3

oh and thank amazon for my free trial of prime, just in time to help me out with my reefing needs.

Honestly I never even used my nuvo baskets. I've got two mini max reactors that I tumble my media in. Carbon and zeolites that's it. No sponge to clean up and build nitrates on. :)

Archived