gena

Gentlemen Prefer Cubes

phoenix91

Wow an upgrade, I can't wait to see how this turns out, and i love the stand colour!

• Like 1

banshee

Love the stand! Definitely clear coat it so it stays beautiful!

• Like 1

jgpico

That stand is soo cool!!! This is going to look so great once it is up and running. I'm super excited to see it.

• Like 1

gena

That stand is sexy.

Thanks, Ben!!!!

That stand is sexy!!!!! Great job!

It's up to you but, you'll end up dripping a lot of salt water on the top and probably the sides and the inside will tend to be moist in there.

If you want, you can use the spray satin and it won't really change the finish unless you want a more glossy look. In general the more glossy the easier it is to clean. I assume you plan to have this tank and stand a very long time so if it were me I'd varnish it.

And yes you can put it right over that paint. :)

Can't wait to see a tank on top of it!!!!!!

Thanks, Mark!!!!! I do plan to have it a very long time :) You and Banshee have convinced me to put a varnish on it. I may run out tonight and pick some up. How long after painting do you typically wait before varnishing? The paint still feels a little sticky on the stand!

That looks sweet!

Thanks, Jordon!!! Did you see my rock? LOL

That is a beautiful color Gena! I'm glad you were brave and went with a bright, fun color. I really love how it turned out!

Thanks, Felicia!!! Seems as I'm getting older I'm getting more into color. I used to be a beige, gray, black type of person but color is just so much more fun :) It really did turn out perfectly!!!!!

Wow an upgrade, I can't wait to see how this turns out, and i love the stand colour!

Hey!!!! Great to see you around again!!!! Thanks so much :D

Love the stand! Definitely clear coat it so it stays beautiful!

You and Mark have convinced me :)

That stand is soo cool!!! This is going to look so great once it is up and running. I'm super excited to see it.

Thanks, JG!!!!! I can't wait to see it up and running myself!!!!

Got my skimmer and return pump today :happydance: I haven't even opened the box yet LOL. I'll get around to it.

Question for the fuge/lighting experts. Tell me what light I should run on my refugium in the sump???? More yellow spectrum? You can even link me to the exact fixture I should get :D

• Like 1

Chadf
I can't wait to order my LED light!!!! :)

This build went south in a hurry :)

• Like 2

frags

Hope the LEDS work out for ya.... fingerscrossed I hope they give they same par, color and growth that an ATI T5 fixture is proven too. :happydance:

• Like 1

gena

This build went south in a hurry :)

Hope the LEDS work out for ya.... fingerscrossed I hope they give they same par, color and growth that an ATI T5 fixture is proven too. :happydance:

I knew I would upset the T5 lovers out there!!!! Sorry guys!!!! LOL I'm very curious to see what a REAL LED fixture will be like on my tank. I only have experience with the panorama pros. We all know their history. I can always switch back to T5 if need be ;)

I have that light too! I didn't even consider using it because I didn't think it would be enough light. I'll have to try it and see. I can always use it in combination with something else.

I see people use those metal clip on light fixtures from Lowes/HD. What bulb would I run in one of those?

Felicia

If you want to use one of those clip on lamps from Home Depot you could just run a PAR 30 or 38 bulb in it. They're not too expensive and then you'd be all LED :)

• Like 1

gena

Are you doin a display fuge or just strictly macros? I you're trying to just grow macros I'd go with something like this bulb. It is similar to what I'm putting over my fuge. http://www.reefbreeders.com/fuge-lite_leds.html

Oh...nice!!!! Well, I was hoping to have a frag rack in the fuge as well for some softies that I trim here and there. Thanks for the link!!!!!!

If you want to use one of those clip on lamps from Home Depot you could just run a PAR 30 or 38 bulb in it. They're not too expensive and then you'd be all LED :)

I could keep coral and macros this way!!!! Great suggestion!!!!!

My T5 loving followers are going to disown my thread. I hope they still stick around :flower:

• Like 1

Felicia

My T5 loving followers are going to disown my thread. I hope they still stick around :flower:

Maybe they'll convert when they see how beautiful your new all-LED tank is :D

• Like 3

Spirofucci

Yep wait till the paint dries, but it shouldn't take that long. Put it outside or in the garage where it might be hotter and drier.....

• Like 1

JDH

Did I see the rock?! Of course; that's some great rock you have there :D

So you all decided on the Razor?

• Like 1

~LadyBug~

I love that stand! The color is awesome :wub:

• Like 1

Mr. Microscope

New Cube! Woohoo! Looks like the build is coming along well. I'm looking forward to seeing more. Good luck!

• Like 1

fewskillz

Awesome! Not helping me hold off on building my 93 cube until we buy a house, it's calling my name from the spare bedroom.

Love that cabinet. Great job so far Gena!

• Like 1

FishDooD65

Looking good!

• Like 1

gena

Yep wait till the paint dries, but it shouldn't take that long. Put it outside or in the garage where it might be hotter and drier.....

It's been outside on my patio. Seems like it's just about completely dry! It's losing that sticky feeling.

Did I see the rock?! Of course; that's some great rock you have there :D

So you all decided on the Razor?

Thanks :D Yep....I decided on the Razor...I will be getting it. Just need to order it!!!!

I love that stand! The color is awesome :wub:

Thanks, Anna!!!!!

New Cube! Woohoo! Looks like the build is coming along well. I'm looking forward to seeing more. Good luck!

Thanks, Mr. M!!!!

Awesome! Not helping me hold off on building my 93 cube until we buy a house, it's calling my name from the spare bedroom.

Love that cabinet. Great job so far Gena!

Thanks so much!!!! LOL....I don't know how you do it. It would be torture to have an empty 93g cube sitting in a room just waiting for me :)

Looking good!

Thanks, fishdood :D

So I went and picked up varnish for the stand. I'll put a couple of coats on tomorrow and then a third on Friday. I wanted to give it one more day for the paint to cure, just to be safe. I also got hinges for the doors.

I went to Petco today and bought my sand. I got two different grades because they didn't have two of the same grades. Both are the live sand in the bags. I find it hard to believe you can really just add this sand and not have a cycle in a new tank. That's what the bag says!!!! LOL

They had a bunch of banggai cardinals at Petco. They looked great too! I'm definitely going to get one or a pair eventually.

Finally opened my box from BRS with the skimmer and return pump. The return pump box looks like it's been to hell and back, but the pump looks fine. I hope it works fine. It's not like I can test it out right now. The skimmer box is shrinkwrapped and looks perfect. I haven't actually opened THAT box yet :lol: My life is so busy LOL. Tomorrow is the last day of school. Things should get a little more relaxed now. I can't wait to be able to sleep in again :happydance:

• Like 4

Felicia

Gena, if it makes you feel any better, I used 30 lbs of that live sand in bags when I switched everything over to the 30 gallon and I didn't have a cycle. If you remember, I used dry rock so I just moved everything over just a couple days after putting the sand, rocks, and water in the tank. That worked out ok, so I think you'll be fine. I also plan to add some of that bagged sand into my 10 gallon frag tank this weekend. It better not start a cycle! I'll let you know if I have any issues.

• Like 1

gena

Gena, if it makes you feel any better, I used 30 lbs of that live sand in bags when I switched everything over to the 30 gallon and I didn't have a cycle. If you remember, I used dry rock so I just moved everything over just a couple days after putting the sand, rocks, and water in the tank. That worked out ok, so I think you'll be fine. I also plan to add some of that bagged sand into my 10 gallon frag tank this weekend. It better not start a cycle! I'll let you know if I have any issues.

Oh wow....that's great to hear then! I'm really nervous about the transfer. Last time I checked my parameters on the rock curing in the 10g, ammonia was off the charts!!!! That was on Saturday. I'm glad I bought the rock ahead of time to get a jump start on the curing process.

Definitely let me know how adding the sand in the frag tank goes.

• Like 1

Felicia

Oh wow....that's great to hear then! I'm really nervous about the transfer. Last time I checked my parameters on the rock curing in the 10g, ammonia was off the charts!!!! That was on Saturday. I'm glad I bought the rock ahead of time to get a jump start on the curing process.

Definitely let me know how adding the sand in the frag tank goes.

Will do! I was supposed to add it last weekend and got WAY too busy for it. Its a long weekend this weekend so I should have no excuses. Its just going to be a lot of work, so I only want to do it when I have a lot of time. I'll monitor levels afterwards and let you know if I see anything. My plan is to move all the frags, fish, shrimp, hermit, and snails into buckets and then add the sand. I'll wait a bit for the sand to settle and then I'll put everything back in the tank. I'm going to have issues if there's any kind of cycle because its not like I can keep everything in buckets for days.

• Like 1

ccapasso

Hooray upgrade!

Just read through everything and wow! Nice looking stand!

Very excited to see how this progresses.

• Like 1

Spirofucci

Hey Gena! Be sure to read the directions on the varnish......some of them you can and should put all three coats on the same day within a a couple of hours, if not I think you have to wait 48 hours for the next coat.

• Like 1

ajayjack

That stand is sexy!!!!! Great job!

It's up to you but, you'll end up dripping a lot of salt water on the top and probably the sides and the inside will tend to be moist in there.

If you want, you can use the spray satin and it won't really change the finish unless you want a more glossy look. In general the more glossy the easier it is to clean. I assume you plan to have this tank and stand a very long time so if it were me I'd varnish it.

And yes you can put it right over that paint. :)

Can't wait to see a tank on top of it!!!!!!

You could also put a piece of marble on the top, to help with spills. Spiro's right though. The inside of my stand is very humid.

I knew I would upset the T5 lovers out there!!!! Sorry guys!!!! LOL I'm very curious to see what a REAL LED fixture will be like on my tank. I only have experience with the panorama pros. We all know their history. I can always switch back to T5 if need be ;)

I have that light too! I didn't even consider using it because I didn't think it would be enough light. I'll have to try it and see. I can always use it in combination with something else.

I see people use those metal clip on light fixtures from Lowes/HD. What bulb would I run in one of those?

I'm using a clip on fixture from like walmart with a ~5600k spectrum LED bulb.

• Like 2