gena

Gentlemen Prefer Cubes

eitallent

I have two of the 27" 160w 16K I think it is the 420R. Because it is programmable I figured I can run them at 80% and still have enough light to grow what I plan to get. With more power than I need I will probably never need them to run at 100% and perhaps extend the life of the LEDs.

I would recommend the 160w for you too, Gena. You can run them at any intensity you want and if you ever need more light you can bump it up without having the expense of upgrading to a stronger light fixture.

Hi!!!! :flower:

Very interesting info on the razor!!!! What model do you have? What you said here has me second guessing my lighting choice :lol: I'm sooo confused!!!! I like the T5 for growth, and I like LEDs for growth, color, and cost. So obviously LED outweighs T5!!!! I'm just scared from my experience with the panorama pros!!!!! My mushrooms hated them (besides rics) and they burned out!!! LOL.

• Like 1

Felicia

For Felicia :D

spacemonsters_zpsa25a28fa.jpg

I cheated. I pulled the rock out and realized I could just pop the original frag plug off the rock. You are getting 6 polyps!!!!! They go for like $45 a head!!!!! They grow so fast that the space they were in will fill in, in no time :) So here they are...waiting for you!!!!

Wow! Gena, you are WAY too generous. Those look gorgeous. I've never seen them with such long skirts. How long have you had them and where did you get them? I can't believe I missed when you added them to the tank. You'll be getting most of the stuff you wanted for free now as a trade :) Thanks so much for making a frag for me! I'll either have to swing by real quick on my way home from my stay in Santa Barbara on June 14th (since the zoas can't be in my hotel room without a tank for 3 days) or I'll have to have you priority mail them to me. I'll PM you to work out the details :)

Glad to hear you're considering an LED fixture! Those new Maxpspect fixtures seem pretty awesome.

• Like 1

JDH

If you are looking at the Razor, I would recommend the 16k model, as it can be adjusted to look more 10k, as well as bluer, where the 10k model looks a little too 'yellow' due tot he full spectrum, and less blue. Good choice BTW!

You can always adjust the intensity for your lovely shrooms :happy:

• Like 1

Deckoz2302

Hmmmm this is interesting

jgpico

You should throw a frag plug in the spot where you pulled the one with those zoas out and keep a rotation going to sell or trade to people. I would definitely take a frag if you were to do that.

gena

I have two of the 27" 160w 16K I think it is the 420R. Because it is programmable I figured I can run them at 80% and still have enough light to grow what I plan to get. With more power than I need I will probably never need them to run at 100% and perhaps extend the life of the LEDs.

I would recommend the 160w for you too, Gena. You can run them at any intensity you want and if you ever need more light you can bump it up without having the expense of upgrading to a stronger light fixture.

I saw in my Marine Depot catalog that the 20.5" effective coverage is 30"x20" and Maximum coverage is 36"x24". The 27" effective coverage is 40x20" and the maximum is 48"x24". My cube is 24"x24" so I think the 20.5" is the fixture that would work best for me. The 27" would be longer than my tank. But what you are saying makes perfect sense. I just think it might not look as good!

Wow! Gena, you are WAY too generous. Those look gorgeous. I've never seen them with such long skirts. How long have you had them and where did you get them? I can't believe I missed when you added them to the tank. You'll be getting most of the stuff you wanted for free now as a trade :) Thanks so much for making a frag for me! I'll either have to swing by real quick on my way home from my stay in Santa Barbara on June 14th (since the zoas can't be in my hotel room without a tank for 3 days) or I'll have to have you priority mail them to me. I'll PM you to work out the details :)

Glad to hear you're considering an LED fixture! Those new Maxpspect fixtures seem pretty awesome.

I got them at the beginning of this year or right after Christmas...something like that. They are from Cultivated Reef. They have really taken off since I fixed my salinity issue!

Yeah....I'm excited about LEDs now LOL.

If you are looking at the Razor, I would recommend the 16k model, as it can be adjusted to look more 10k, as well as bluer, where the 10k model looks a little too 'yellow' due tot he full spectrum, and less blue. Good choice BTW!

You can always adjust the intensity for your lovely shrooms :happy:

That's what I'm going to do...the 16K. I saw in the Maxspect Razor owners thread that you have one. I never pay much attention to people's lighting until I'm in the market for some LOL. So awesome we'll be sporting the same light :D

Hmmmm this is interesting

:D Thanks for dropping by!!!!! You reef wisdom is ALWAYS appreciated around here!!!!!

You should throw a frag plug in the spot where you pulled the one with those zoas out and keep a rotation going to sell or trade to people. I would definitely take a frag if you were to do that.

Will do! Excellent idea!!!!

Got a lot of painting done today....2 coats. Looks like it's going to take about 4 or 5 coats since it's a darker color...but WOW!!!! I LOVE IT!!!!! I swear when I first started painting I smelled fresh berries LOL. The color looks like mashed berries...it's so pretty! I'll do two more coats tomorrow.

I forgot to mention I got my sump yesterday!!!! I haven't even pulled it out of the box yet. We had friends over last night and I was so busy painting, etc. today, that I haven't gotten the chance yet....but I'm admiring it in the box. WOW...it's such a nice sump!!!! It's very nicely constructed. It will take up almost the entire length of the stand. I'll have room in front of (or behind) the sump though for my ATO bucket. We ended up having to make the stand smaller because otherwise we wouldn't have been able to fit it through the door LOL. I believe the dimensions are 36x30 instead of the 36x36 that I originally wanted.

• Like 6

Felicia

That's a great idea to put a rock or plug back in that spot where the zoas came from. I think you should start selling some of your nice stuff to help fund this upgrade. My frag sales are how I got my RODI, ATO, heater controller, and now the MP10. Maybe next I'll have to sump my tank :D But seriously, those space monsters would be in high demand. You should sell them! Zoas are the way to go for easy things to sell. They are much easier to ship than SPS corals too.

I'm so excited that you're leaning towards LEDs now! Those Maxspect fixtures are so thin and sleek and I LOVE that they're full spectrum. I kind of wish I had thrown in some green, red, and UV when I made my fixture. Its going to look so great over that new tank!

I can't wait to see the color on the stand! And I want to see photos of that new sump when you get it out of the box! Sooo much awesome new stuff!

• Like 1

jedimasterben

I'm so excited that you're leaning towards LEDs now! Those Maxspect fixtures are so thin and sleek and I LOVE that they're full spectrum. I kind of wish I had thrown in some green, red, and UV when I made my fixture. Its going to look so great over that new tank!

Green wouldn't do anything (even cool white LEDs contain too much green), red (deep red, in the 660nm range) doesn't actually do a whole lot like I originally thought, it's needed only for specific colors, and you can actually get better results using a warm white LED, and UV is actually damaging to corals and won't give any fluorescence or other pigments (as their protective UV coating is clear), the best for that is in the 425-430nm range as it is the peak of chlorophyll a and a lot of fluorescent proteins.

What all you have on it right now?

• Like 3

Spirofucci

i don't know crap about lights either, but I am of course a big fan of LED's for all the reasons you already know. If I didn't get the Pro, I would have gotten that Razor.......mainly because it looks sexy and even Benny like them........:)

• Like 3

ajayjack

So this is where all the action is now... All the itches have been scratched?

• Like 2

Felicia

Green wouldn't do anything (even cool white LEDs contain too much green), red (deep red, in the 660nm range) doesn't actually do a whole lot like I originally thought, it's needed only for specific colors, and you can actually get better results using a warm white LED, and UV is actually damaging to corals and won't give any fluorescence or other pigments (as their protective UV coating is clear), the best for that is in the 425-430nm range as it is the peak of chlorophyll a and a lot of fluorescent proteins.

What all you have on it right now?

Well this is all good to know! I got my fixture before the big push for full spectrum so I never thought to use anything but white and blue. Now it seems like people are putting every color under the rainbow in their fixtures. I'm super happy with the color I get from my fixture and the growth and color of my corals, so I'm really happy with my DIY fixture as a whole. I was just thinking maybe I was missing some parts of the spectrum for even better growth. Good to know that I'm not really.

My fixture is 36 LEDs. 18 are royal blues, 9 are 10000k whites, and 9 are 4500k whites. At the time that I made my fixture most people were pushing for a 50/50 ratio of royal blues and cool whites. I went with the warm/neutral whites as well because I don't like the cool windex color you get with just cool whites. I'm glad I got them though because they have a much fuller spectrum than the cool whites. Here are the spectrums for the exact LEDs I have.

Royal blues

RoyalblueSpectrum.jpg

10000k whites

10000KSpectrum.jpg

4500k whites

http://s289.photobucket.com/user/alatarie/media/946015_10103509564651121_1178829406_n.jpg.html'>946015_10103509564651121_1178829406_n.jp

Sorry for so much LED talk on your thread, Gena. I figure JMB explaining to me may help you with picking your fixture :)

Spirofucci

Well this is all good to know! I got my fixture before the big push for full spectrum so I never thought to use anything but white and blue. Now it seems like people are putting every color under the rainbow in their fixtures. I'm super happy with the color I get from my fixture and the growth and color of my corals, so I'm really happy with my DIY fixture as a whole. I was just thinking maybe I was missing some parts of the spectrum for even better growth. Good to know that I'm not really.

My fixture is 36 LEDs. 18 are royal blues, 9 are 10000k whites, and 9 are 4500k whites. At the time that I made my fixture most people were pushing for a 50/50 ratio of royal blues and cool whites. I went with the warm/neutral whites as well because I don't like the cool windex color you get with just cool whites. I'm glad I got them though because they have a much fuller spectrum than the cool whites. Here are the spectrums for the exact LEDs I have.

Royal blues

RoyalblueSpectrum.jpg

10000k whites

10000KSpectrum.jpg

4500k whites

946015_10103509564651121_1178829406_n.jp

Sorry for so much LED talk on your thread, Gena. I figure JMB explaining to me may help you with picking your fixture :)

Geez, don't you know LED's are no good???? :)

Felicia

Geez, don't you know LED's are no good???? :)

:lol: Don't get me started, Mark! I'm excited me may have a convert in Gena. I know if she decides to get an LED fixture she's never going to want to go back to T5s :D

• Like 4

Deckoz2302

Thats a lie....lol I love leds too...and I love t5s...combo fixtures.mmmmmm sexy time

• Like 4

1.0reef

For Felicia :D

spacemonsters_zpsa25a28fa.jpg

I cheated. I pulled the rock out and realized I could just pop the original frag plug off the rock. You are getting 6 polyps!!!!! They go for like $45 a head!!!!! They grow so fast that the space they were in will fill in, in no time :) So here they are...waiting for you!!!!

Can I split it with Felicia? I live like 1/2 an hour away! :)

• Like 1

gena

That's a great idea to put a rock or plug back in that spot where the zoas came from. I think you should start selling some of your nice stuff to help fund this upgrade. My frag sales are how I got my RODI, ATO, heater controller, and now the MP10. Maybe next I'll have to sump my tank :D But seriously, those space monsters would be in high demand. You should sell them! Zoas are the way to go for easy things to sell. They are much easier to ship than SPS corals too.

I can't wait to see the color on the stand! And I want to see photos of that new sump when you get it out of the box! Sooo much awesome new stuff!

The sump is STILL in the box :lol: I've just been so busy LOL.

So this is where all the action is now... All the itches have been scratched?

ummm....I guess so :D

:lol: Don't get me started, Mark! I'm excited me may have a convert in Gena. I know if she decides to get an LED fixture she's never going to want to go back to T5s :D

I haven't officially purchased the light yet...but I'd say I'm a convert :) You know what I'm looking forward to most?????? Being able to take a top-down photo again!!!!!

You'll have to take that up with her :D

The stand is DONE!!!!!! I put the last 2 coats on today. All together it took 4 coats of paint to get a nice even color. And it's gorgeous!!!!!!

Just need to get the hardware to put the doors on. I'll probably wait a few days before moving it into the house. It feels pretty sticky/tacky and probably will for quite a few days.

Sump is still in the box. It's packed so snuggly, I don't want to remove it until I'm ready to put it in the stand.

I think that's it for updates :D

• Like 3

Arkayology

I saw in my Marine Depot catalog

I wish my fiance looked in the MD catalog lol. When mine came in the mail, she was like "WTF is this? They have catalogs for fish crap now?" lol

• Like 5

Felicia

Hey! Once Gena ships it to me, I'll give it a while to grow out a bit and then I can make a frag for you.

LEDs LEDs LEDs!

I am so excited that you're saying you're an LED convert now!

I can't wait to see photos of the pretty purple stand!

• Like 3

1.0reef

Probably better, my tank is still dry

Spirofucci

I'm sure you did, but I would highly recommend putting a few coats of some kind of marine varnish over the paint, including the inside......

• Like 1

gena

I wish my fiance looked in the MD catalog lol. When mine came in the mail, she was like "WTF is this? They have catalogs for fish crap now?" lol

That's funny!!! :lol:

I love my MD catalog :D

Hey! Once Gena ships it to me, I'll give it a while to grow out a bit and then I can make a frag for you.

LEDs LEDs LEDs!

I am so excited that you're saying you're an LED convert now!

I can't wait to see photos of the pretty purple stand!

I can't wait to order my LED light!!!! :)

I'm sure you did, but I would highly recommend putting a few coats of some kind of marine varnish over the paint, including the inside......

I didn't! I wasn't planning to either. If I did I would just put it on the top of the stand and the interior. Can you varnish over water-based paint?????

I took some quick pictures with my iPhone, of the stand. I had a heck of a time with glare. I don't think the true color is coming through in the photos either but it's pretty close. I'm going to touch up some of the white interior where I accidently got some purple on it.

standpainted_zps65afa143.jpg

The color is called "Chilled Wine" but I think it should have been "Berrylicious" LOL

standpainted2_zps0d9ddc66.jpg

• Like 10

jedimasterben

That stand is sexy.

• Like 2

Spirofucci

That stand is sexy!!!!! Great job!

It's up to you but, you'll end up dripping a lot of salt water on the top and probably the sides and the inside will tend to be moist in there.

If you want, you can use the spray satin and it won't really change the finish unless you want a more glossy look. In general the more glossy the easier it is to clean. I assume you plan to have this tank and stand a very long time so if it were me I'd varnish it.

And yes you can put it right over that paint. :)

Can't wait to see a tank on top of it!!!!!!

• Like 3

JDH

That looks sweet!

• Like 1

Felicia

That is a beautiful color Gena! I'm glad you were brave and went with a bright, fun color. I really love how it turned out!

• Like 1