gena

Gentlemen Prefer Cubes

jedimasterben

I'm just gonna leave this here.

20130512-IMG_0118.jpg

• Like 2

Arkayology

Do you wear and awesome hat and carry a whip? Are you terrified of snakes? And do you often run into boobytraps on your digs? If you answer yes to all of those, than that makes you Indy! Pretty awesome set-up for grad school though! I'm getting my PhD in engineering and I do not get to go to Peru.

I do have a fedora that I wear when I travel and excavate, but the I think the bull whip comes with the PhD lol. I also don't have to worry about snakes in my region of study, it is more about the scorpions and llamas. A PhD in engineering will make you more money in the long run than being an archaeologist, that is certain. Sure, I get the travel, but if it wasn't for my fiancé, I would be a hobo with a fish tank.

• Like 5

Spirofucci

I think I gave Ark the nick name of Indy a while back and suggested that he keep a bull whip above his tank.......:)

• Like 2

gena

...and it seems like just yesterday that you were rockin' a NC12 *wipes back a tear*

I am so excited to see you're working on a new tank! I will be watching for sure!

Doesn't it??? LOL Thanks for checking in...yay for you following along. :happydance:

I'm a 4th year archaeology graduate student. 3 more to go for the ph.d. I've been working/excavating down in Peru for the last 4 years, as well as several other countries. Does that make me Indy?

If you are rethinking your lighting, I would look into getting a Kessil A150W LED. It is cheap ($225+gooseneck arm), it will light the entire tank, no replacing bulbs, lots of reefers have had success with them. That being said, if you don't want to keep much more than softies and LPS, the fixture you have listed is fine IMO.

What an exciting career. What's the coolest thing you've discovered? Does that make you Indy? YES...and more cuz, you're a real person. Lucky fiance....sorry for all the single ladies on here that you are taken ;)

I'm 99.9% sure I'm going to go with that T5 fixture I mentioned. But there's always that .1% chance I could change my mind LOL.

Do you wear and awesome hat and carry a whip? Are you terrified of snakes? And do you often run into boobytraps on your digs? If you answer yes to all of those, than that makes you Indy!

Gena, you know I'd pick LEDs, but like I've said, the T5s obviously work fine for you so if you want to go that route than I'll support that :) Just think of all the money you have to spend on bulbs every 6 months on a 6 bulb fixture...

Hilarious!

I know you love the LEDs. You've done amazing work with them and you are part of the reason why I would even consider getting them!

I do have a fedora that I wear when I travel and excavate, but the I think the bull whip comes with the PhD lol. I also don't have to worry about snakes in my region of study, it is more about the scorpions and llamas. A PhD in engineering will make you more money in the long run than being an archaeologist, that is certain. Sure, I get the travel, but if it wasn't for my fiancé, I would be a hobo with a fish tank.

Fedoras are sexy. My husband can rock a fedora. People compliment him all the time on his hats.
  • Like 2

gena

I have updates!!!! omgomgomg

First some photos that I promised

Rocks for Jordon ;) This is the 10# of rock I just bought from KPA for the cube.

051713no5_zps31a6d331.jpg

The stand after filling in the nail/screw holes and smoothing seams, and sanding:

051713no6_zps0a1b8ef6.jpg

These photos I took today from my 28g tank. All of this will be transferring into the 45g cube.

Marilyn and Joe

108fdc6c-b8b0-4dbb-b066-4f6484bc0342_zps

Space Monsters

bd53e25c-5a0f-4c3d-b7e7-c895a84da5dc_zps

I knew I was saving this beauty for something. Can't wait to put it on the rocks in the cube!!!!

051713no3_zpse659ba39.jpg

523bf0e5-c8da-4340-b801-0d94fbbac80b_zps

Ok....now for updates!!!!!

The tank is ORDERED!!!! omgomgomg

But....slight change of plans. It was going to be a huge hassle to order the Marineland 45g cube. So....instead I custom ordered a tank through my LFS.

It will be a Visio 45g cube. Same dimensions 24x24x18 and it should be done by next week :happydance:

It will have black silicone, which I LOVE the looks of.

It won't be rimless. Sorry rimless lovers!!!!! I guess I'm old-fashioned when it comes to my aquariums. I just like the rim...call me crazy LOL.

It will have Starphire glass on the front pane.

I think that's it. It will be drilled as planned for my sump. And they will even paint the back black for me...one less thing for me to worry about. I'm so excited!!!!

Today I got all the sanding done on the stand. Tomorrow I will put the Kilz primer on. Sunday I will probably paint the stand my purple color. I picked up the purple paint today and I'm in :wub:

I'm going to need to rig a light holder for my new T5 fixture. I'll go the route of Indiana Jones with the pipes, but I'm going to paint it a green shade instead of typical black. My tank set up will be so colorful LOL. Don't worry...it's gonna look great :D

• Like 13

Felicia

Sounds like a lot of fun! Money isn't the important thing as long as you like what you do! :)

I know you love the LEDs. You've done amazing work with them and you are part of the reason why I would even consider getting them!

I'm flattered :blush: Your tank looks great under the T5's, so I'm ok with you going that route. That fixture you have picked out looks sleek and will look awesome hanging above the tank.

Exciting updates! So many things to comment on...

1) The rocks look nice! Is that your old 10 gallon that was the frag tank? That is a nice looking little tank! Maybe you need a frag tank again... :lol:

2) Stand is looking great and I can't wait to see it purple! All the colors are going to be so fun! I like it!

3) New photos are gorgeous as usual. You featured some corals I haven't noticed as much before. I don't know how I missed those space monster zoas. Any chance I could get you to make me a frag of those for when I stop by in June? I'll trade you a frag of one of the zoas you wanted for those :D I'd only need a small frag, like 2-4 polyps.

4) Yay! So glad the tank is ordered! omgomgomg Custom is going to be so awesome with that starfire glass. Its going to be so nice having it already drilled and the back painted and everything. So easy! So how long is it supposed to take before you get it?

Oh, and I forgot! I love the black silicone. I didn't realize how awesome it looks until I got my little FW cube tank. Great choice!

banshee

Yay progress! I'm kind of sad our tanks won't be identical twins though. I can't wait to see your setup all running with the rock. I love KPA rock but I couldn't bring myself to buy enough to fill my whole tank and start over.

gena

Sounds like a lot of fun! Money isn't the important thing as long as you like what you do! :)

I'm flattered :blush: Your tank looks great under the T5's, so I'm ok with you going that route. That fixture you have picked out looks sleek and will look awesome hanging above the tank.

Exciting updates! So many things to comment on...

1) The rocks look nice! Is that your old 10 gallon that was the frag tank? That is a nice looking little tank! Maybe you need a frag tank again... :lol:

2) Stand is looking great and I can't wait to see it purple! All the colors are going to be so fun! I like it!

3) New photos are gorgeous as usual. You featured some corals I haven't noticed as much before. I don't know how I missed those space monster zoas. Any chance I could get you to make me a frag of those for when I stop by in June? I'll trade you a frag of one of the zoas you wanted for those :D I'd only need a small frag, like 2-4 polyps.

4) Yay! So glad the tank is ordered! omgomgomg Custom is going to be so awesome with that starfire glass. Its going to be so nice having it already drilled and the back painted and everything. So easy! So how long is it supposed to take before you get it?

Oh, and I forgot! I love the black silicone. I didn't realize how awesome it looks until I got my little FW cube tank. Great choice!

Yep..it's the old 10g that was a frag tank and then became a macro garden :)

I will try to make a frag of the space monsters for you! I've never done it before!!!! omgomgomg

I'm doing my water change tomorrow so maybe I can get it done then with plenty of time for them to heal for you.

They said I'll most likely have it by Friday next week. But possibly into the following week. :D

Yay progress! I'm kind of sad our tanks won't be identical twins though. I can't wait to see your setup all running with the rock. I love KPA rock but I couldn't bring myself to buy enough to fill my whole tank and start over.

I know :( That's the only bummer! But the dimensions will be the same. And mine will have the rim like yours so they will be very similar :)

Oh and Felicia....today I bought some eye goggles/protection for the sanding I had to do. The dust was going everywhere and getting into my eyes. After I picked my son up from school we stopped at the hardware store and I bought those and a nose/mouth mask. I'll use both items when I try to frag the SM zoas :) LOL

• Like 4

Felicia

I will try to make a frag of the space monsters for you! I've never done it before!!!! omgomgomg

I'm doing my water change tomorrow so maybe I can get it done then with plenty of time for them to heal for you.

They said I'll most likely have it by Friday next week. But possibly into the following week. :D

I'm sure you can manage. Let me know if you need any advice and I can try to explain how to do it. I'm just waiting on my zippers and pink hippos to grow out a bit more and then I'll make you small frags of both of those. I'll make sure I frag them a week or two before I drive down so that they're healed up for you. Oh, and I meant to tell you the CAR polyp vanished :( It was open and doing well and then one day it was just gone. It must have come off the glue somehow and floated away. Ugh! I was sooo excited about that one. I'll keep my eye out for another frag.

Oh, that's soon! Yay! So excited to see how the new tank looks!

• Like 1

gena

I'm sure you can manage. Let me know if you need any advice and I can try to explain how to do it. I'm just waiting on my zippers and pink hippos to grow out a bit more and then I'll make you small frags of both of those. I'll make sure I frag them a week or two before I drive down so that they're healed up for you. Oh, and I meant to tell you the CAR polyp vanished :( It was open and doing well and then one day it was just gone. It must have come off the glue somehow and floated away. Ugh! I was sooo excited about that one. I'll keep my eye out for another frag.

Oh, that's soon! Yay! So excited to see how the new tank looks!

I'm going to see if I can pull the rock out to frag. I think it would be easier that way. That rock is a little wobbly anyways which would make it really difficult to frag in the tank! I wish I could just slice them as close to the rock as I can get. Do you have to get part of the rock with it?

Felicia

I'm going to see if I can pull the rock out to frag. I think it would be easier that way. That rock is a little wobbly anyways which would make it really difficult to frag in the tank! I wish I could just slice them as close to the rock as I can get. Do you have to get part of the rock with it?

If its too much work or is going to tear anything up, then don't worry about it. But I would love a frag if you think you can make one :)

You don't have to get any rock. If you're very careful, you can just cut the mat around the polyps you want and then just sort of peel the mat up. Its easier to damage the polyps that way, but if you're careful it works really well. That's actually how I normally make frags now. Its easier than sawing off some rock.

• Like 1

gena

If its too much work or is going to tear anything up, then don't worry about it. But I would love a frag if you think you can make one :)

You don't have to get any rock. If you're very careful, you can just cut the mat around the polyps you want and then just sort of peel the mat up. Its easier to damage the polyps that way, but if you're careful it works really well. That's actually how I normally make frags now. Its easier than sawing off some rock.

I'm going to give it a shot! The way it grows is not like a mat. The polyps have all pretty much separated from each other. I think I can get in there pretty easily if I don't have to get any rock with it. Just have to find my scalpel!!!!

banshee

Awww man! I want cool frags! :D

• Like 1

Felicia

Ok, yeah from the photo they look like they grow a lot like my Devils Armors. If you can just slice at the very base of the polyp and try to minimize any damage to the polyp, then you don't have to get any rock with it. It should be pretty easy. :)

• Like 1

frags

Don't listen to all these t5 haters :D You will love the ati fixture. I have a 6 bulb 24w and the thing puts out some serious Par and the colors in brings out is amazing, but not much shimma! I wonder with the type of coral that you are growing you would not need a 6 bulb 4 should be fine? I guess with the dimmable version that won't matter. You mentioned somethin to hold the light, the ATI fixture comes with a hangin kit that I think is wicked. You can see it in my build thread on page 3 I think.

Careful on the dimmable version they are saying it can eat up the bulb life, you have to breakin a dimmable ati fixture so you don't eat up the bulbs from ramping the light up and down. They say something like a 100 hrs at full power before you dim. You could save yourself hundreds with a sunpower non dimmable and adjust intensity with raising the fixture that is really easy to do on the light hangin kit! You could also use less bulbs.

• Like 1

gena

Awww man! I want cool frags! :D

What you talking about? (in my best Arnold Jackson voice LOL) You have tons of cool frags!!!! I want your cool frags!!!!

Ok, yeah from the photo they look like they grow a lot like my Devils Armors. If you can just slice at the very base of the polyp and try to minimize any damage to the polyp, then you don't have to get any rock with it. It should be pretty easy. :)

Will do!!! I'll let you know how it goes!!! They grow really fast too!!! Your Devils Armor already has a new head and 2 more growing :happydance:

Don't listen to all these t5 haters :D You will love the ati fixture. I have a 6 bulb 24w and the thing puts out some serious Par and the colors in brings out is amazing, but not much shimma! I wonder with the type of coral that you are growing you would not need a 6 bulb 4 should be fine? I guess with the dimmable version that won't matter. You mentioned somethin to hold the light, the ATI fixture comes with a hangin kit that I think is wicked. You can see it in my build thread on page 3 I think.

Careful on the dimmable version they are saying it can eat up the bulb life, you have to breakin a dimmable ati fixture so you don't eat up the bulbs from ramping the light up and down. They say something like a 100 hrs at full power before you dim. You could save yourself hundreds with a sunpower non dimmable and adjust intensity with raising the fixture that is really easy to do on the light hangin kit! You could also use less bulbs.

Oh cool...thanks for all this great info!!! I'll go check out your thread!!!!

The cool thing about the dimmable is you can simulate dusk to dawn which is pretty cool. I guess I need to do even more research on it.

• Like 1

Felicia

Will do!!! I'll let you know how it goes!!! They grow really fast too!!! Your Devils Armor already has a new head and 2 more growing :happydance:

Good luck! They're super pretty. I can't believe I hadn't noticed them in your tank before. That's great that the Devils Armor frag is doing so well. It grows quickly in my tank, so I was hoping it would in your tank as well. How's the red hornet frag doing, btw?

• Like 1

jedimasterben

Be very careful with that starphire panel. If I did it over again, I would not have ordered a starphire tank. The glass scratches if you so much as talk mean about it a little.

• Like 3

gena

Good luck! They're super pretty. I can't believe I hadn't noticed them in your tank before. That's great that the Devils Armor frag is doing so well. It grows quickly in my tank, so I was hoping it would in your tank as well. How's the red hornet frag doing, btw?

The red hornet frag has one new head. Initially the mat started branching out and I thought a head was going to form, but it never did. Then one day a head popped out on the other side. I think it will grow faster when it gets more light.

Be very careful with that starphire panel. If I did it over again, I would not have ordered a starphire tank. The glass scratches if you so much as talk mean about it a little.

Oh...good to know, thank you!!!! I didn't know it was so scratchable! I have a little scratch on my current tank from a tiny sand pebble that got stuck between my scraper and the glass wall. I'll be extra careful with the new tank!

brad908

What? I don't have a single scratch on either of my tanks. Are you cleaning the glass with sand paper?

jedimasterben

What? I don't have a single scratch on either of my tanks. Are you cleaning the glass with sand paper?

... you mean that's not how you do it?!?!

But seriously, the glass on my tank is super soft, and I hear that it is just starphire/low iron in general.

surgicalsense

Just the excitement alone

• Like 1

eitallent

Gena, I have really missed reading and posting to your threads. Kids are home from school so we are really busy.

I see that everything is going smoothly. Hooray! Your stand is beautiful. It is going to be even more so after you paint it. I really am looking forward to reading how you like the equipment you have chosen. I think you did well on your choice for a tank. I like the rimmed tanks too. The black silicone will look sharp!

The rock looks great. You are so lucky that the worm died. Yuck!

Your pictures are great as usual. Marilyn and Joe look vibrant and so sweet. :wub:

I wanted to let you know that I am really liking the razors. I got some Zoa and Paly frags that were 2 to 4 polyps each that are all budding several new polyps. Also, the mushrooms I got from several LFS have really become colorful and gorgeous under those Razor LEDs. The PS Gorgs are actually growing right before my eyes. Just thought you would like to know, as a fellow softy lover, that LEDs are really doing well for all my softies.

I will try to get some new pictures for the 125g on my thread. But I wanted to post here first just to say hello.

Hello! :)

• Like 2

gena

Gena, I have really missed reading and posting to your threads. Kids are home from school so we are really busy.

I see that everything is going smoothly. Hooray! Your stand is beautiful. It is going to be even more so after you paint it. I really am looking forward to reading how you like the equipment you have chosen. I think you did well on your choice for a tank. I like the rimmed tanks too. The black silicone will look sharp!

The rock looks great. You are so lucky that the worm died. Yuck!

Your pictures are great as usual. Marilyn and Joe look vibrant and so sweet. :wub:

I wanted to let you know that I am really liking the razors. I got some Zoa and Paly frags that were 2 to 4 polyps each that are all budding several new polyps. Also, the mushrooms I got from several LFS have really become colorful and gorgeous under those Razor LEDs. The PS Gorgs are actually growing right before my eyes. Just thought you would like to know, as a fellow softy lover, that LEDs are really doing well for all my softies.

I will try to get some new pictures for the 125g on my thread. But I wanted to post here first just to say hello.

Hello! :)

Hi!!!! :flower:

This time of year always slows down around here. Kids home from school, beautiful weather that draws you outdoors, vacations :happy:

Things are moving right along! Primer is on the stand, gonna put the color on today :happydance:

Very interesting info on the razor!!!! What model do you have? What you said here has me second guessing my lighting choice :lol: I'm sooo confused!!!! I like the T5 for growth, and I like LEDs for growth, color, and cost. So obviously LED outweighs T5!!!! I'm just scared from my experience with the panorama pros!!!!! My mushrooms hated them (besides rics) and they burned out!!! LOL.

I just looked them up. What if I did this:

Maxspect 20.5 Inch Razor R420R 16,000K LED Light Fixture. It's 120 watts. Would 10K or 16K be better? I hate light shopping!!!!

Damn....AJ just texted me a pic. of his powerball numbers. He got 4 out of the 6 for $100. Had he gotten all five of the reg. numbers right he would have won a cool mil!!!!!! We only got one number right LOL.

• Like 3

gena

For Felicia :D

spacemonsters_zpsa25a28fa.jpg

I cheated. I pulled the rock out and realized I could just pop the original frag plug off the rock. You are getting 6 polyps!!!!! They go for like $45 a head!!!!! They grow so fast that the space they were in will fill in, in no time :) So here they are...waiting for you!!!!

• Like 7