gena

Gentlemen Prefer Cubes

Felicia

Of course they do!!!! Plus....I've had a crush on you since I was 8 years old LOL ;)

Me too! This would be me if I was in Indiana Jone's class :lol:

tumblr_lk0ev72vwS1qdhps7o1_500.gif

Sorry that your tank didn't get ordered yet, Gena! At least they're working on it. I want them to hurry it up though! I want to see this tank!

• Like 6

eitallent

Anticipaaaation! :lol:

Arkayology

This just made my day lol.

Me too! This would be me if I was in Indiana Jone's class :lol:

tumblr_lk0ev72vwS1qdhps7o1_500.gif

• Like 5

gena

This just made my day lol.

Ok...so I know you are a teacher/professor from reading your tank thread. Are you REALLY Indiana Jones????? LOL

Got my rock today. It's in the temporary holding tank for cycling. There was a HUGE (dead) worm at the bottom of the box. Thank goodness it didn't survive...OMG! I found the cutest tiny little crab (dead) at the bottom of the box too :( He was super tiny.

Worked on the stand today. Filled all the nail/screw holes in, and smoothed out the seams. I'll probably sand the whole thing tomorrow. I can't wait to start painting!!!!!

• Like 3

Felicia

I'm glad your rock came! I'm also glad you didn't end up with a LIVE giant worm. Its also probably good the crab didn't make it either because HH crabs can be pretty destructive to corals if they're the bad kind. It would have eventually gotten big and could have been a pain to catch later.

gena

Did the Store owners's Girlfiend called you yet? Excited to see the tank!!

Today was her day off so I didn't expect to hear from her, and I didn't. I'll contact her tomorrow, if she doesn't call me first. I hope to have an update tomorrow :)

Sump, skimmer, and return pump are on the way :D

• Like 1

JDH

omgomgomg OMG! What an upgrade! Can't wait for more pics *hint hint*

gena

I'm glad your rock came! I'm also glad you didn't end up with a LIVE giant worm. Its also probably good the crab didn't make it either because HH crabs can be pretty destructive to corals if they're the bad kind. It would have eventually gotten big and could have been a pain to catch later.

Yeah...I know. It was just so cute!!!! LOL. There was also a shrimp looking thing. I don't think it was a mantis. It was still a little bit alive, kicking it's legs very weakly. Oh, and one of those oh what are they called...I had one with the last shipment of rock. They get really big in the wild. I don't think it's amphipod but it's something like that. Starts with a "c" I think. It was still alive!!! When I removed the paper towel from the rock it was looking right at me :lol: I quickly knocked it off the rock and smooshed it. Felt really bad too but didn't have a choice. Poor thing.

omgomgomg OMG! What an upgrade! Can't wait for more pics *hint hint*

omgomgomg I know!!!!! :lol: As soon as I have something to take a picture of, I'll post it. Actually, I took a picture of my new rock. I'll post that in here tomorrow. It's really very boring but at least it's a picture!!!!!! :D
  • Like 1

1.0reef

You should get some LED's, T5HO's are nice, but LED's are the equivalent to dog makeup. A.K.A. Da shhhhheeeeeiiiiiiit

gena

You should get some LED's, T5HO's are nice, but LED's are the equivalent to dog makeup. A.K.A. Da shhhhheeeeeiiiiiiit

I still have time to decide. I haven't bought any lights yet. The thing is, my favorite coral is mushrooms and they just don't need the crazy lighting LOL.

mejamis

But you can turn down the intensity right? Best purchase but of course they are $$$$

• Like 2

JDH

i like rocks :lol:

• Like 2

gena

But you can turn down the intensity right? Best purchase but of course they are $$$$

Yeah...true! My brother would be so proud if I went with a radion LOL. I just really like the looks of T5. I wish I could borrow a nice LED setup to compare the two before making a purchase!!!! The fixture I want is like $500 which isn't that much less than a Radion.

mejamis

What type/brand do you like best? personally i like radions but they are whackkkk expensive

• Like 1

1.0reef

Razors are better and cheaper

• Like 1

FishDooD65

What type/brand do you like best? personally i like radions but they are whackkkk expensive

radions....yikes!!!!! to expensive for my blood, lol. reefbreeders value LED fixtures are $179 and a great bang for the buck and they are dimmable. two of them for under $500

• Like 1

gena

This is the T5 I was leaning towards. 6 bulbs.

ATI 24 Inch Dimmable SunPower T5 High-Output Fixture w/ Controller

http://www.marinedepot.com/ATI_24_Inch_Dimmable_SunPower_T5_High_Output_Fixture_w_Controller_24_Inch_T5_Fluorescent_Light_Fixtures-ATI-UZ3301-FILTFIT54U-vi.html

reefbreeders value LED fixtures are $179 and a great bang for the buck and they are dimmable. two of them for under $500

I'll definitely do some research before I make my decision. I think lighting is the hardest decision for me to make!!!!!

I'm also afraid to change lighting on my corals when they are doing so well under T5.

• Like 1

FishDooD65

I'll definitely do some research before I make my decision. I think lighting is the hardest decision for me to make!!!!!

I'm also afraid to change lighting on my corals when they are doing so well under T5.

i can completely understand that but if you keep softies, lps, and zoas/palys they will be fine in almost anything you give them. you will be successful. plus having the higher intensity of lighting with LEDs you will be able to keep anything even a clam or SPS. all in good time and patience... thats the key!

• Like 1

Felicia

That's a pretty sleek looking T5 fixture, Gena!

• Like 1

Spirofucci

New tank with all new stuff! So exciting! Deciding on just the right light is going to be very tough! I know you know what your bro and my self would recommend!!!!!

• Like 2

BattleAthletics

Razor is huge, but sleek. Go for the ATI fixture. Thats the bomb. B)

• Like 1

wankreas

...and it seems like just yesterday that you were rockin' a NC12 *wipes back a tear*

I am so excited to see you're working on a new tank! I will be watching for sure!

• Like 2

Arkayology

Ok...so I know you are a teacher/professor from reading your tank thread. Are you REALLY Indiana Jones????? LOL

I'm a 4th year archaeology graduate student. 3 more to go for the ph.d. I've been working/excavating down in Peru for the last 4 years, as well as several other countries. Does that make me Indy?

If you are rethinking your lighting, I would look into getting a Kessil A150W LED. It is cheap ($225+gooseneck arm), it will light the entire tank, no replacing bulbs, lots of reefers have had success with them. That being said, if you don't want to keep much more than softies and LPS, the fixture you have listed is fine IMO.

• Like 2

Felicia

I'm a 4th year archaeology graduate student. 3 more to go for the ph.d. I've been working/excavating down in Peru for the last 4 years, as well as several other countries. Does that make me Indy?

Do you wear and awesome hat and carry a whip? Are you terrified of snakes? And do you often run into boobytraps on your digs? If you answer yes to all of those, than that makes you Indy! Pretty awesome set-up for grad school though! I'm getting my PhD in engineering and I do not get to go to Peru.

Gena, you know I'd pick LEDs, but like I've said, the T5s obviously work fine for you so if you want to go that route than I'll support that :) Just think of all the money you have to spend on bulbs every 6 months on a 6 bulb fixture...

• Like 3