gena

Gentlemen Prefer Cubes

gena

Wow... Big! My nano urchins have grown and colored up a lot too. Are all urchins potential coral eaters??

I think he looks bigger than he actually is. The body, not including the spines, is about the size of a quarter. But he was itty bitty when I first got him so he has eaten a lot in my tank LOL.

Love that sexy sleek looking sump. I need to step up to something like that. Trigger systems are so nice. You have my dream skimmer. I love how the pump is on the bottom of the base and dosent take up extra room. I have to follow yours and see how it skims and than pull the trigger on one if you have good results. Wow your getting closer, are you thinking about the plumbing yet?

Thanks, Zia! The skimmer seems to be built like a tank. Very nice quality. I can't wait to put it to work!!!! The nice thing is, I don't have to think about plumbing. I'm hiring my LFS to do it all for me. :lol:

I had a Blue Tux urchin

I loved that lil guy, I really want another one.

Those are so pretty! I don't like that they want to carry things around with them all day though LOL.

Hey Gena :wub:

urchins looks creepy to me, I was in Puetro Rico once and at low tide you see hem everywhere on the rocks on the shoreline. I knew they looked pesky.

Hi, airman :wub: I've been stung by two urchins before. Two nice red welts on my leg. A wave pushed me into a huge bed of urchins when we went to St. Croix. I think the Caribbean is FULL of those long spine urchins!

I absolutely love the purple stand!! You're tank is stunning as well.

Thanks so much!!!! I love it too :happy:

This is going to be so awesome! When is your tank coming in? How's the cycling of the rock going?

Thanks, S!!!! If all goes well, it will be in tomorrow. But...he's going to paint the back black for me and then deliver and install so not sure when that will be. Sometime next week as long as the tank was ready this week. Last week the starphire pane had a scratch so they had to redo it.

I think the cycling rock may be done! I'm going to test it today! I have a bunch of GHA growing on the glass walls of the tank but doesn't look like it's growing so much on the rock itself. This happened when I bought my first batch of this rock. I'm glad it's getting the unsightly phase over with in the little tank.

• Like 3

Felicia

So you're getting a 2 headed frogspawn frag :) Same price of course, you just get an extra head for free. I needed to trim the frogspawn to make sure it wouldn't touch the new gorg and the head I needed to cut was almost done splitting in two, so you get a freebie head :D

• Like 3

gena

So you're getting a 2 headed frogspawn frag :) Same price of course, you just get an extra head for free. I needed to trim the frogspawn to make sure it wouldn't touch the new gorg and the head I needed to cut was almost done splitting in two, so you get a freebie head :D

Yay!!!!! You are awesome!!!! :happydance: I need to get a grand total from you. I'll just pay you cash when you come down here. Can't wait :D

So, I can now say I am an official cycle-pro. I've cycled enough tanks to now know when the cycle is complete, just by looking at it..LOL. I had a feeling my rock was cycled. It wasn't just this past Saturday. Sure enough, I tested today, and found this.... :happydance:

test-2_zps75e205f7.jpg

Now I just need my new tank!!!!! :D

• Like 8

Felicia

Yay!!!!! You are awesome!!!! :happydance: I need to get a grand total from you. I'll just pay you cash when you come down here. Can't wait :D

I can't wait to come by and see your tank! So exciting! :)

The grand total comes to $30. Its $10 for the frogspawn, $5 for the two mushrooms (I'll do both for $5 since I'm bringing you really small ones - granted you won't have to wait too long for them to get huge), and $15 for a nice sized frag of green slimer. The pink hippos and pink zippers are free in exchange for the space monsters, which I'll just get a new frag of from you sometime down the road. No hurry!

Also, that's awesome that its all cycled! You're such a pro at cycling tanks now! I can't wait until you can start putting everything in that new tank! Oh, and I meant to tell you, the live sand I added to the frag tank didn't cause any kind of cycle I could detect. So you should be good to go with the sand.

• Like 3

Stkef9

You may already be set on a light fixture but look into the ever grow d120 or in your case you could go with a larger model. That one has 55 3 watt LEDs white, blue, green and red LEDs with optics with 2 dimmable drivers for the colors. The d120 covers a 24x24 area. Saw this one at the lfs on a nice tank and it looked awesome!! I'm gonna be putting this on my 20x20x18 and run it 4-5 inches off the water. On my tank it will give me about 6 watts per gallon.

• Like 1

Stkef9

Ohh and would you post your results with that skimmer? I'm looking into getting that for my 20 long sump I'm setting up. Thanks!

• Like 1

jedimasterben

You may already be set on a light fixture but look into the ever grow d120 or in your case you could go with a larger model. That one has 55 3 watt LEDs white, blue, green and red LEDs with optics with 2 dimmable drivers for the colors. The d120 covers a 24x24 area. Saw this one at the lfs on a nice tank and it looked awesome!! I'm gonna be putting this on my 20x20x18 and run it 4-5 inches off the water. On my tank it will give me about 6 watts per gallon.

I don't really even know where to begin on this post. Those lights are inefficient and look pretty terrible, in addition to having little control. Watts per gallon didn't make sense with halides or T5, and it still doesn't make sense with LEDs.

• Like 2

Stkef9

I don't really even know where to begin on this post. Those lights are inefficient and look pretty terrible, in addition to having little control. Watts per gallon didn't make sense with halides or T5, and it still doesn't make sense with LEDs.

Just curious what makes you think they are inefficient. I saw them in action at one of the better SW specific fish stores in my area and they looked pretty efficient to me. They were growing sps quite well with the fixture about 20" off the bottom. And with the couple red and green LEDs they make coral pop. Idk I've only been into SW for a little over a month so it's hard to sift through what is true and what's bs. I wish I had a picture of that tank to show the fixture and all. It looks like a pretty quality light and comes with a 3 year warranty

• Like 1

jedimasterben

Just curious what makes you think they are inefficient. I saw them in action at one of the better SW specific fish stores in my area and they looked pretty efficient to me. They were growing sps quite well with the fixture about 20" off the bottom. And with the couple red and green LEDs they make coral pop. Idk I've only been into SW for a little over a month so it's hard to sift through what is true and what's bs. I wish I had a picture of that tank to show the fixture and all. It looks like a pretty quality light and comes with a 3 year warranty

I'm not sure you know what efficiency is.

I'd estimate the white LEDs at around 120lm, 140lm for the cool white, at 2.5w power consumption. Compare this to a true high-power LED at 250-350lm at 3w power consumption, or in the bigger Bridgelux (real Bridgelux, not fake 'bridgelux' like in the Evergrow lights) 1500lm+ at 11w or so.

I have five LEDs, one 4000K Bridgelux BXRA 1350B at 30w, and four 450nm Luxeon M at 11w (less than 70w pulled from the wall) with WIDE reflectors that hits around 450 PAR at 24", which is more than the Evergrow panels, and has as much coverage as one. If I put narrower reflectors and hang the fixture another 12-18" up, I can still have the same coverage with around 50% more PAR or so.

THAT is efficiency.

Any blue LED will make corals fluoresce. The Evergrow fixtures struggle with actual coloring - specifically reds, oranges, pinks. Notice that under those fixtures, corals like that simply just don't look right, and when placed back under better lighting, they look normal. Red and green LEDs do absolutely nothing.

• Like 2

Lalani

Is this thing built yet?

• Like 5

Stkef9

I'm not sure you know what efficiency is.

I'd estimate the white LEDs at around 120lm, 140lm for the cool white, at 2.5w power consumption. Compare this to a true high-power LED at 250-350lm at 3w power consumption, or in the bigger Bridgelux (real Bridgelux, not fake 'bridgelux' like in the Evergrow lights) 1500lm+ at 11w or so.

I have five LEDs, one 4000K Bridgelux BXRA 1350B at 30w, and four 450nm Luxeon M at 11w (less than 70w pulled from the wall) with WIDE reflectors that hits around 450 PAR at 24", which is more than the Evergrow panels, and has as much coverage as one. If I put narrower reflectors and hang the fixture another 12-18" up, I can still have the same coverage with around 50% more PAR or so.

THAT is efficiency.

Any blue LED will make corals fluoresce. The Evergrow fixtures struggle with actual coloring - specifically reds, oranges, pinks. Notice that under those fixtures, corals like that simply just don't look right, and when placed back under better lighting, they look normal. Red and green LEDs do absolutely nothing.

You are correct to assume that I don't know much about efficiency of lighting. I looked for specs on the actual LEDs themselves but I can't find the site I previously saw. I too understand that they are sales people there to make a buck so it's hard to get answers like you posted on what is really a quality item. What would you recommend then for a quality but somewhat affordable setup?
  • Like 1

Zia

O yea, it's Friday :naughtydance: Now go get your tank fingerscrossed

• Like 5

gena

I can't wait to come by and see your tank! So exciting! :)

The grand total comes to $30. Its $10 for the frogspawn, $5 for the two mushrooms (I'll do both for $5 since I'm bringing you really small ones - granted you won't have to wait too long for them to get huge), and $15 for a nice sized frag of green slimer. The pink hippos and pink zippers are free in exchange for the space monsters, which I'll just get a new frag of from you sometime down the road. No hurry!

Also, that's awesome that its all cycled! You're such a pro at cycling tanks now! I can't wait until you can start putting everything in that new tank! Oh, and I meant to tell you, the live sand I added to the frag tank didn't cause any kind of cycle I could detect. So you should be good to go with the sand.

All sounds great! I have exciting news below... :happydance:

Ohh and would you post your results with that skimmer? I'm looking into getting that for my 20 long sump I'm setting up. Thanks!

Thanks for the lighting suggestion!!!! But...see my update below :) I'll definitely let you know how it goes with the skimmer. :D

Is this thing built yet?

:lol: see below LOL

O yea, it's Friday :naughtydance: Now go get your tank fingerscrossed

Yippee....TGIF!!!!!

OK.....great news!!!!!! I stopped by my LFS and the tank is coming in today!!!!! It's probably at my LFS right now. It just wasn't there yet when I stopped by but it was supposed to be on the truck for delivery today!!!! AND...he's going to paint it tonight and deliver it tomorrow after 6pm omgomgomg

AND.....I was able to order my RAZOR today!!!! That is already out with UPS but I didn't think they delivered on Saturday so it will be here on Monday omgomgomg

So while I won't have it all set up and running with water in time for Felicia's visit...she'll be able to at least see it all set up without water!!!! :happydance:

Getting closer!!!!!

My Dr. Tim's came in today along with my Furminator for the cats. WOW! What a brush! I only got around to furminating one cat. Unbelievable how much fur that thing pulls out!!!! BTW...my cat that was sick has done a 180. He has kidney failure and was down to 7.9 pounds. We changed his diet and he gets a laxative everyday and he's now up to 9.4 pounds and climbing!!!!! I have no concerns now that we'll lose him this year. He's like his old self again :wub:

• Like 5

Stkef9

Nice! Looking forward to seeing this up and running. I have a furminator for my Siberian husky and it is amazing! Only problem is I can bruch him for at least an hour and still pulling out his warm coat.

• Like 1

gena

Nice! Looking forward to seeing this up and running. I have a furminator for my Siberian husky and it is amazing! Only problem is I can bruch him for at least an hour and still pulling out his warm coat.

Thanks! I can't wait to post photos of it up and running!!!

Tell me about it....I furminated for what felt like forever and there is still a lot left to pull out. Plus a whole other cat to work on too LOL.

Zia

+1

Cant wait to see this baby get delivered. Based on your current nano. Ill go out on limb and cast my vote now, for totm :D To early......lol

I luv our cat but hate her shed and we also use the furminator and there great.

Well were impatiently waiting on your tank delivery how bout a reptile update :)

• Like 1

gena

+1

Cant wait to see this baby get delivered. Based on your current nano. Ill go out on limb and cast my vote now, for totm :D To early......lol

I luv our cat but hate her shed and we also use the furminator and there great.

Well were impatiently waiting on your tank delivery how bout a reptile update :)

Too much beer tonight? :lol: But thanks :D

I can do a reptile update! Alduin (or Aldi as I call him) is doing great! He's very healthy. Here he is :D

aldi_zps4689ad0f.jpg

• Like 9

Zia

I can do a reptile update! Alduin (or Aldi as I call him) is doing great! He's very healthy. Here he is :D

So splain me this. How does a cat and that bug eyed cutie co exists under the same roof. I guess that was big reason for not allowing my daughter to get one. Those suction cup feet are so cool. But she wants one sooo bad.

• Like 1

gena

So splain me this. How does a cat and that bug eyed cutie co exists under the same roof. I guess that was big reason for not allowing my daughter to get one. Those suction cup feet are so cool. But she wants one sooo bad.

So far neither the dogs nor the cats have taken the slightest interest in him/her. I think they just haven't noticed him yet. He's very stealthy, unlike a noise making and attention grabbing rodent. My son wanted a rat or a lizard. I insisted on the lizard LOL.

The lady at my LFS that raises these guys says her dogs walk around with these little guys on them. I wouldn't trust my dogs with that though. My dogs are crazy LOL. Our brittany spaniel has caught himself more than one squirrel in the yard. And my little bichon would probably think it's a toy and start chewing it up :o

• Like 4

Felicia

I am so excited that I get to see the tank all set up on Monday!!! Yay! Everyone should be very very jealous! Gena, I meant to tell you that I saw Christina (she's a member here on N-R) the other day since she works at one of the LFS's that I go to. I mentioned to her that I was going to see your tank and she was sooo jealous. Her and I had a whole conversation about how amazing you are with reef tanks and how quickly you can make them look so lush a gorgeous. :D

I am so glad to hear that your cat has made a recovery and is doing well! Also, Aldi is adorable! I love his bug eyes. I think Lily would be fine with one of those. She's probably just ignore it. My cats growing up in Florida were outdoor though and they used to hunt and kill all kinds of lizards, skinks, and snakes. I definitely wouldn't trust them with one of those guys. So I guess it depends on the cat or dog's personality.

I have a couple photos for you from my tank photo session tonight.

Pink Hippos

http://s289.photobucket.com/user/alatarie/media/IMG_2624Edit.jpg.html'>IMG_2624Edit.jpg

Bali Green Slimer

http://s289.photobucket.com/user/alatarie/media/IMG_2629Edit.jpg.html'>IMG_2629Edit.jpg

• Like 5

BeardedReeferLLC

Build is looking great Gena.

• Like 1

surgicalsense

Can not wait ... so much amazing fun build going on here :happy:

• Like 1

gena

I am so excited that I get to see the tank all set up on Monday!!! Yay! Everyone should be very very jealous! Gena, I meant to tell you that I saw Christina (she's a member here on N-R) the other day since she works at one of the LFS's that I go to. I mentioned to her that I was going to see your tank and she was sooo jealous. Her and I had a whole conversation about how amazing you are with reef tanks and how quickly you can make them look so lush a gorgeous. :D

I am so glad to hear that your cat has made a recovery and is doing well! Also, Aldi is adorable! I love his bug eyes. I think Lily would be fine with one of those. She's probably just ignore it. My cats growing up in Florida were outdoor though and they used to hunt and kill all kinds of lizards, skinks, and snakes. I definitely wouldn't trust them with one of those guys. So I guess it depends on the cat or dog's personality.

I have a couple photos for you from my tank photo session tonight.

Pink Hippos

IMG_2624Edit.jpg

Bali Green Slimer

IMG_2629Edit.jpg

:blush: Thank you and Christina!!!!! I wish an NR member worked at my LFS. So cool! Maybe I should recruit the people that run my LFS LOL.

omgomgomg those corals!!!!! I'm so excited to get them from you!!!!! I can't believe I'm going to have my very own green slimer!!!!!!! It's my favorite growth pattern of all SPS. Those corals look absolutely gorgeous too!!!!!! Thank you!!!!!!

Build is looking great Gena.

Thanks so much :happy: Won't be long now. The tank is in the house!!!!!

Can not wait ... so much amazing fun build going on here :happy:

Me neither!!!!!

I have my tank!!!! :wub: It's even better than I imagined it would be. :happydance:

Now that I'm seeing it in person I can better imagine what sort of scape I will do. I'm thinking an L shape with 2 islands. The back is painted but I'm thinking the left side, that is closest to the wall, and won't be as easily seen, I may cover with a non-permanent black backing. So this left side and the back will be where I place my L shape with the rock. Then 2 islands in addition to that! I can't wait to start playing with it!!!!! I have so much more space, it's unbelievable. PLUS...I have my huge sump with fuge space. I've never been more excited about a build before LOL.

The tank isn't plumbed yet. They sent the wrong size bulkhead so either Monday or Wednesday he'll come back to set up all the plumbing. Not sure when I'll do the transfer. Probably next week. omgomgomg

• Like 2

surgicalsense

Now that I'm seeing it in person I can better imagine what sort of scape I will do. I'm thinking an L shape with 2 islands. The back is painted but I'm thinking the left side, that is closest to the wall, and won't be as easily seen, I may cover with a non-permanent black backing. So this left side and the back will be where I place my L shape with the rock. Then 2 islands in addition to that! I can't wait to start playing with it!!!!! I have so much more space, it's unbelievable. PLUS...I have my huge sump with fuge space. I've never been more excited about a build before LOL.

The tank isn't plumbed yet. They sent the wrong size bulkhead so either Monday or Wednesday he'll come back to set up all the plumbing. Not sure when I'll do the transfer. Probably next week. omgomgomg

Who is assisting with the plumbing?

I am sure the scape will look really great!

This is really fun! I can not wait until I can really see your tank in person again :happy:

Felicia

:blush: Thank you and Christina!!!!! I wish an NR member worked at my LFS. So cool! Maybe I should recruit the people that run my LFS LOL.

omgomgomg those corals!!!!! I'm so excited to get them from you!!!!! I can't believe I'm going to have my very own green slimer!!!!!!! It's my favorite growth pattern of all SPS. Those corals look absolutely gorgeous too!!!!!! Thank you!!!!!!Thanks so much :happy: Won't be long now. The tank is in the house!!!!!

You're very welcome! You just have the blue thumb with tanks! Yeah its pretty cool that 2 of the girls that work at one of the LFS's are Nano-Reef members. You should get the people at your LFS to join Nano-Reef. Its fun to see what they're tanks at home look like.

I'm glad you like them! The pink hippos have gotten brighter under my LED lights. I love the pink and green color scheme on them. I love my slimer colony as well. They seem to be an underappreciated SPS variety. I love how they grow out in long shoots instead of staying as a compact colony and its such a bright pop of color in the tank. I didn't get your Pink Zippers in the photo because they were back behind another frag, but they're doing really well also and I bet you'll love them. I gotta decide what to bring you as a surprise this time... :D

I'm glad to hear that they're going to have the tank all set up for you soon! With your lights on the way, that means that you get to get water in that tank really soon! :happydance:

• Like 2