Top Shelf Aquatics

Gentlemen Prefer Cubes

gena

So much going on over there with kittens and the tank that I can't keep up. Its exciting!

a) I am so thrilled that I am getting the squamosa and the slimer! Thanks for taking the extra effort to ship them to me! I can't wait to see them in person on Wednesday. :)

b ) Tiny kittens :wub: I bet you guys really can't wait to have them home. I can't wait to see photos of them watching the tank :)

c) Teal is my favorite color so I love that idea! Plus it will go so well with the white background. Post a photo as soon as you get the stand painted, please! I also want to see the 20L with the white background.

d) I'm sure the transfer will all be fine in the same day as long as you keep some of the current live rock and make sure any new live rock you get isn't out of water for too long to cause die off. I did my last transfer really quickly and it all went fine. The fish are actually really easy once you get all the corals and rocks out. They're easy to catch in an empty tank and then just put them all in their own bucket. They'd be fine in a bucket overnight if needed as long as you put in an air stone or powerhead to agitate the water surface and a heater. When I did my last transfer, Eddie and I drained the water out of the tank so there was only a few inches of water for the fish and then carried the tank across the room and set it on the floor. Then we put the water back in. That way I could take my time setting up the new tank and the fish and rocks and corals all got to stay in the tank they were used to instead of the stress of buckets. I just threw a heater and my MP10 onto the tank in the meantime. Then you can set up the new tank and then transfer everything in when you're ready. Then you can empty the old tank and clean it up for sale.

• Replies 7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

So much going on over there with kittens and the tank that I can't keep up. Its exciting!

a) I am so thrilled that I am getting the squamosa and the slimer! Thanks for taking the extra effort to ship them to me! I can't wait to see them in person on Wednesday. :)

b ) Tiny kittens :wub: I bet you guys really can't wait to have them home. I can't wait to see photos of them watching the tank :)

c) Teal is my favorite color so I love that idea! Plus it will go so well with the white background. Post a photo as soon as you get the stand painted, please! I also want to see the 20L with the white background.

d) I'm sure the transfer will all be fine in the same day as long as you keep some of the current live rock and make sure any new live rock you get isn't out of water for too long to cause die off. I did my last transfer really quickly and it all went fine. The fish are actually really easy once you get all the corals and rocks out. They're easy to catch in an empty tank and then just put them all in their own bucket. They'd be fine in a bucket overnight if needed as long as you put in an air stone or powerhead to agitate the water surface and a heater. When I did my last transfer, Eddie and I drained the water out of the tank so there was only a few inches of water for the fish and then carried the tank across the room and set it on the floor. Then we put the water back in. That way I could take my time setting up the new tank and the fish and rocks and corals all got to stay in the tank they were used to instead of the stress of buckets. I just threw a heater and my MP10 onto the tank in the meantime. Then you can set up the new tank and then transfer everything in when you're ready. Then you can empty the old tank and clean it up for sale.

Tomorrow's the day to pack them up :scarry:. I'm sure they'll do fine though. Let's hope FedEx cooperates too :). Thanks for the moving tips. I'm sure I'll incorporate some of that into what I end up doing. Once the clam and slimer are on the way to you I can really get things moving. Working on the stand today. But have a BBQ to go to at 1 so that's going to eat into my stand time. I really love the cabinet I picked up! Actually Derek found it. Not sure exactly what it was used for initially. It's probably from the 80s. Solid wood. I LOVE that it has two drawers. Can put my supplies in there. Nice big open space below. It's ideal. Looking forward to picking out the teal shade too :happydance:.

I'm just really looking forward to everything about this new build :happydance:.

AHH you work too fast!!! I only check in every two days and you've already gotten everyone sold!! :tears:

I have some grape and seasons greeting monticap left though!

I have some grape and seasons greeting monticap left though!

Did you update your sale page with your pieces for sale? I think I need to snatch some up before I can't get official Genacap!!

That reminds me to go bug Eddie to make the Fedex label for us today. I'll email it over to you later today. Honestly, I'm not too stressed. We've got a nice big box so you can send them in plenty of water and they're only going within the same state. Plus the weather here is so perfect for shipping right now.

I love Memorial Day BBQ's. Have fun!

Sounds like a really cool cabinet. I love finding older furniture and fixing it up. I can't wait to see the shade of teal you pick out.

Oh my, I go away for a week and you've started a whole new tank :blink:

We'll miss both of the old ones but I can't wait to see what you do with the 20L. Especially the whole "low maintenance" thing :)

Did you update your sale page with your pieces for sale? I think I need to snatch some up before I can't get official Genacap!!

I haven't. I have some really nice big pieces (but not too big) of the idaho grape available! Let me know if you want it. It's $10 per frag plus shipping. $18 priority or $45 overnight. You would be getting a bigger than normal sized piece.

Oh my, I go away for a week and you've started a whole new tank :blink:

We'll miss both of the old ones but I can't wait to see what you do with the 20L. Especially the whole "low maintenance" thing :)

I surprised the heck out of a lot of people :lol:.

Wat? New tank?

Yep :). Down-sizing. Getting two kitties in a few weeks and rather than try and kitten proof my existing system, I'm taking it out and going super easy. 20L with HOB filter and mp10. That's it :). Softies and LPS.

Today is stand painting day.

And a little Nora-kins to start the day. I was sent this picture yesterday :wub:.

Screen%20Shot%202015-05-27%20at%208.09.2

There is so much "awwww" in this thread lately. What a little cutie!

Can we get some photos of stand painting? Pretty please! :D

Squamy clammy is drip acclimating right now omgomgomg

There is so much "awwww" in this thread lately. What a little cutie!

Can we get some photos of stand painting? Pretty please! :D

Squamy clammy is drip acclimating right now omgomgomg

I just put a coat of primer on. As soon as the teal goes on, I will grab some pictures :).

Went to my LFS and got some new live rock. I think this weekend (Sunday) I might be able to do the transfer!!!! We shall see. I know I'm ready now :lol:.

It is exciting :happydance:.

Got a coat of paint on before dark yesterday and just did another this morning. I think one more will do it! It's called "Ocean Slumber" :lol:.

Screen%20Shot%202015-05-28%20at%2010.52.

Screen%20Shot%202015-05-28%20at%2010.53.

And my collection of kitty stuff so far :)

Screen%20Shot%202015-05-28%20at%2010.52.

And my little Nicky and Norakins :wub:. This photo was sent to me last night. They really love each other....

Screen%20Shot%202015-05-27%20at%2010.00.

Love it! The name of the color is perfect. I'm getting vintage Florida beach house from it, which is awesome! The white background on the tank will look amazing with that color!

Awwwwww! You're killing me with the snuggling kittens photos! Those two are adorable together!

Nice kitten supply collection. That's a petco cat tree right? Lily has had two of those now. She had the smallest one first and then I ordered the medium one to upgrade hers and petco accidentally sent me the big one, so that's what she has now.

Oh! And squammy clammy is alive and well. Made a point to check on it before I left for work this morning. :)

Love it! The name of the color is perfect. I'm getting vintage Florida beach house from it, which is awesome! The white background on the tank will look amazing with that color!

Awwwwww! You're killing me with the snuggling kittens photos! Those two are adorable together!

Nice kitten supply collection. That's a petco cat tree right? Lily has had two of those now. She had the smallest one first and then I ordered the medium one to upgrade hers and petco accidentally sent me the big one, so that's what she has now.

Oh! And squammy clammy is alive and well. Made a point to check on it before I left for work this morning. :)

Third coat was the charm. I'm feeling the vintage Florida Beach house vibe too LOL. I really love how it turned out! Can't wait to get all the hardware on so I can really see how it looks. Picked up new live sand today. I'll probably add a bit of my old sand for the bacteria. I like fresh new sand for new setups.

The cat tree was from Amazon. I want to get another one too...a little taller. Not sure where I'll put it though :lol:.

Yay for squammy clammy...that name LOL.

For the first time it hit me what I'm doing here. I got in my car and the song "Season's" by Future Islands was playing. OMG....I about cried. When I hear that song, I think of my tank. Cuz of this video:

Now I don't know if I can sell my clowns. Maybe I'll see how they do in the 20L.

New live sand is always so much better. Sand gets so gross! I always get new sand when I start over.

Oh ok. It must be the Petco one sold through Amazon because it looks just like Lily's old cat tree. Now she has a gigantic one because she's spoiled rotten. Luckily I only have space for one. I'm sure those two kittens will be just fine with the one for quite a while.

Eddie is ridiculous...that name cracks me up and now I can't resist calling the clam that.

I LOVE that video. Thanks for posting it again. Its fun that its from a year ago. Nice to see the changes and growth. Don't be too upset! That tank had a nice long run and now its time for something exciting and new! How big are the clowns? I bet they'd do fine in the 20L. It would more just mean they'll increase the bioload, so you may have to do more frequent water changes with them in there. Honestly though, I had 2 clowns, a midas blenny, a coral beauty, a YWG, a firefish, 2 neon gobies, and probably something I'm forgetting in a 30 gallon with all HOB equipment and didn't have any problems. You should be fine keeping the clowns :)

Btw, squammy clammy looks so much smaller in that video! I forget, when did you get the clam? I'm curious how long you had it. Also, how big was it when you go it? I'm just so impressed you managed to grow it to such a ridiculous size! Photos to come later this evening. I'm just waiting for it to get dark so I don't have reflections from the windows on the tank.

thecoralbeauty

LOVE the new color (and it's name)- can't wait to see the whole thing put together!

Also, your old tank was beautiful, but it's also pretty great knowing that pieces of it live on in other's tanks! (like mine!)

New live sand is always so much better. Sand gets so gross! I always get new sand when I start over.

Oh ok. It must be the Petco one sold through Amazon because it looks just like Lily's old cat tree. Now she has a gigantic one because she's spoiled rotten. Luckily I only have space for one. I'm sure those two kittens will be just fine with the one for quite a while.

Eddie is ridiculous...that name cracks me up and now I can't resist calling the clam that.

I LOVE that video. Thanks for posting it again. Its fun that its from a year ago. Nice to see the changes and growth. Don't be too upset! That tank had a nice long run and now its time for something exciting and new! How big are the clowns? I bet they'd do fine in the 20L. It would more just mean they'll increase the bioload, so you may have to do more frequent water changes with them in there. Honestly though, I had 2 clowns, a midas blenny, a coral beauty, a YWG, a firefish, 2 neon gobies, and probably something I'm forgetting in a 30 gallon with all HOB equipment and didn't have any problems. You should be fine keeping the clowns :)

Btw, squammy clammy looks so much smaller in that video! I forget, when did you get the clam? I'm curious how long you had it. Also, how big was it when you go it? I'm just so impressed you managed to grow it to such a ridiculous size! Photos to come later this evening. I'm just waiting for it to get dark so I don't have reflections from the windows on the tank.

The female clown is a beast...she's at least 3". I probably shouldn't hang onto them but I'm torn. The clam I got 9-17-13.

The day squammy went in my tank. I think she was 3":

091713no2_zps456d98cb.jpg

and a bit after settling in:

091913no3_zpsbd870b97.jpg

LOVE the new color (and it's name)- can't wait to see the whole thing put together!

Also, your old tank was beautiful, but it's also pretty great knowing that pieces of it live on in other's tanks! (like mine!)

Thanks, Morgan! I'm really happy with the color. Hopefully SOON I can get things going. Thinking about cleaning out the sump tomorrow along with the skimmer and reactor. Leaving that offline and sticking an HOB filter on the tank with the mp10s should be fine.

If I have time tomorrow I'll start that. The sump is going to be a mess to clean and it would help to break it up into two days instead of doing it all in one day :).

Thanks for finding the date and the old photos. I was curious how long it took to get that big. Can't believe you got it to grow that much in 1 year and 8 months! I've had my squamosa since Oct. 2013 but its only grown like 3/4 inch. It started out pretty small, around 2" or a little less. However, my derasa started out around 2" and is not about 4" a year later, so its been growing much faster. Not sure why one of mine grows fast and the other doesn't.

Hmmm, yeah 3" is a big clown. They don't swim that much though, so its not like the clown would really be cramped. I thinks its just a bioload question.

Keep the clowns. I had 2 in my Elos mini and they did just fine. My mom has 2 clowns in her Biocube 14. 1 of them is 3 inches or bigger they just host the back wall not like they swim much :lol:

Archived