Top Shelf Aquatics

Gentlemen Prefer Cubes

gena

Goodness! I'm bummed to hear this, but at the same time, a new setup is always exciting even if its a downgrade. I'm all for making life easier with the tanks. Personally I find having a sump to be much lower maintenance than an AIO and Lily really can't get to any of the equipment, but if the kittens could get into your stand then I could see how that would be an issue.

Have you considered doing a custom AIO? I've never really loved the shape of the cube AIO tanks, but you could do something like a 20L and add the AIO chambers at one end.

If you go this route and decide to get rid of the clams and SPS, put me on the list to buy your huge squamy and the bali slimer :)

• Replies 7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
HarryPotter

I thought Dukes of Hazard when I read Duke and Daisy :). Too cute!!!!!

So I promised new photos after all that kitten talk. By the way, we get to see them again on Saturday :wub:.

IMG_0125_zpstypvrq8e.jpg

IMG_0124_zpsb5jsornm.jpg

IMG_0129_zpsgurbaeev.jpg

IMG_0133_zps1tfymvvn.jpg

IMG_0134_zpsovdnb9oy.jpg

By the way guys...seriously thinking of downsizing this tank. Getting rid of the sump, and making things a lot easier. I have a lot on my plate lately. With my crested gecko venture. New kittens on the way. My current tank setup is a kitten owner's worst nightmare LOL. Too much for them to get into.

I'm thinking an AIO. With super easy corals. This means no more SPS. No more monticaps :(. No more clams :(. It's a big decision to make but it's most likely going to happen. Just have to decide what stays and what goes. I may combine a few things from the 8g tank with the downsized tank.

What's a good AIO to go with? I don't even know anymore. It's been so long. Maybe I could do a 20L tank? I don't want to have to buy any new equipment.

What a big PITA to figure this all out. My tank is just so overgrown now and something has to give :).

I vote the JBJ RL-45, but thats just because I like it :)

Hey if you ever have TOO much coral, I could always take some off your hands!

Goodness! I'm bummed to hear this, but at the same time, a new setup is always exciting even if its a downgrade. I'm all for making life easier with the tanks. Personally I find having a sump to be much lower maintenance than an AIO and Lily really can't get to any of the equipment, but if the kittens could get into your stand then I could see how that would be an issue.

Have you considered doing a custom AIO? I've never really loved the shape of the cube AIO tanks, but you could do something like a 20L and add the AIO chambers at one end.

If you go this route and decide to get rid of the clams and SPS, put me on the list to buy your huge squamy and the bali slimer :)

I would LOVE if you got the big squammy!!!!!! And of course the slimer :). Would you be able to drive down here? Ideally I want to get it all done in the next 3 weeks!

The thing is, I don't want to put much money into this. If I did a 20L it'd be just a Petco 20L and then stick an AC filter on the back. Have only softies and LPS and be done with it. I'd get rid of it all but I'd be sad to say goodbye to Pinky and Bogart. They are the only reason I would keep something going. I love my clownfish too, even though they never come out anymore :angry:. So those are the only fish I would keep. Oh and the GBGs.

I vote the JBJ RL-45, but thats just because I like it :)

Hey if you ever have TOO much coral, I could always take some off your hands!

Well, 45g isn't enough of a downgrade :). Thanks for the suggestion though :flower:

I would LOVE if you got the big squammy!!!!!! And of course the slimer :). Would you be able to drive down here? Ideally I want to get it all done in the next 3 weeks!

The thing is, I don't want to put much money into this. If I did a 20L it'd be just a Petco 20L and then stick an AC filter on the back. Have only softies and LPS and be done with it. I'd get rid of it all but I'd be sad to say goodbye to Pinky and Bogart. They are the only reason I would keep something going. I love my clownfish too, even though they never come out anymore :angry:. So those are the only fish I would keep. Oh and the GBGs.

I'm not going to be down that way until probably more towards the end of the summer when Eddie moves, but I'd totally pay for shipping if you'd be willing to do it. I could also mail you an empty insulated box with packing supplies if you don't have any. I've been looking for another large clam but everyone just gets those tiny 1.5" ones lately. With the new predator tank, nitrates can be an issue, so I probably can't have many SPS. However, clams seem to do really well with some nitrates in the water and actually help to filter it all out so I'd love to have another big showpiece one. I don't think it should be too bad to just USPS overnight them. We can pm about this if you want :)

My 30 gallon that won TOTM was just a HOB AC70 filter with chemipure and purigen. No skimmer or any of that. Its such a simple setup and then you don't have the back chambers to clean, which annoyed me to no end with my seahorse tank. A 20L from Petco with your current light and a filter would probably be nice for your small fish and some nice easy corals.

I'm not going to be down that way until probably more towards the end of the summer when Eddie moves, but I'd totally pay for shipping if you'd be willing to do it. I could also mail you an empty insulated box with packing supplies if you don't have any. I've been looking for another large clam but everyone just gets those tiny 1.5" ones lately. With the new predator tank, nitrates can be an issue, so I probably can't have many SPS. However, clams seem to do really well with some nitrates in the water and actually help to filter it all out so I'd love to have another big showpiece one. I don't think it should be too bad to just USPS overnight them. We can pm about this if you want :)

My 30 gallon that won TOTM was just a HOB AC70 filter with chemipure and purigen. No skimmer or any of that. Its such a simple setup and then you don't have the back chambers to clean, which annoyed me to no end with my seahorse tank. A 20L from Petco with your current light and a filter would probably be nice for your small fish and some nice easy corals.

I'm really leaning toward a 20L. I'll still keep my old stand and use the bottom for fish supply storage. I think I'll run out to petco either today or tomorrow.

This clam is HUGE. I'd need a lot of water and a BIG box and bags to ship it. It would worry me to do it :scarry:.

ditto on the "if youre trying to get rid of corals" thing...

go 20 long! that's what I have.

It is? I didn't even realize LOL. Is it 30" long?

Hmmmmm...I wonder if the clam would fit in the new 20L????? LOLOLOL. Maybe I might see :).

5 weeks old tomorrow :wub:

Fab%205%205.7.15%20copy_zpsllshhicm.jpg

The foster parent is supposed to get in touch with me soon and we'll do in-home adoption. The hard part will be just picking two :).

I like the big gray one on the right. Seems to be the smart one in the group. Albert-Einstein-albert-einstein-genius-s

By the way. Let me know if you decide you need to get rid of some livestock. I'm only an hour away, and always feelin' spendy!

I like the big gray one on the right. Seems to be the smart one in the group. Albert-Einstein-albert-einstein-genius-s

By the way. Let me know if you decide you need to get rid of some livestock. I'm only an hour away, and always feelin' spendy!

The orange one seems to be the smartest :).

I have a ton to get rid of. None of the Zs and Ps, I don't think. But several SPS pieces. No names and some named. I have a big ORA spongodes on a rock that has Zs and Ps on it. Then I have a Blue acro, a pink/green acro. A forest fire digitata. Those clams ;). I posted an ad on craigslist. $60 for the squamosa, $30 for the maxima, make an offer on the others. Need equipment? I'll have that too LOL. Oh fish too. The Blue Star wrasse $20, firefish $5, Circus goby pair $40.

:tears:

Why so sad?

So, I went to my LFS and bought a 20L. I decided to go with Visio again...which is the same brand as my cube. I've been really happy with the quality.

Now to figure out what color to paint the background????

Definitely can't keep the clam. Nor do I want to. To make this ultra low maintenance the clam has to go. I'm hoping I won't have to dose.

This 20L is a really neat size. Nice and long but not too big. I'm anxious to get things rolling :).

Why so sad?

So, I went to my LFS and bought a 20L. I decided to go with Visio again...which is the same brand as my cube. I've been really happy with the quality.

Now to figure out what color to paint the background????

Definitely can't keep the clam. Nor do I want to. To make this ultra low maintenance the clam has to go. I'm hoping I won't have to dose.

This 20L is a really neat size. Nice and long but not too big. I'm anxious to get things rolling :).

Woah! You're fast like me! When I decide I'm going to do something, I do it fast. Just like the predator switch over with my tank. Eddie makes fun of me for this, but once my mind is made up I want to do it asap haha. A 20L is a nice size. I prefer black backgrounds personally, but blue is nice too.

jedimasterben

I wouldn't paint the background but add a peel n stick clear diffuser like myself and hey have, it's pretty badass :)

thecoralbeauty

Mine is 30 inches long. I love the size too. Nice and shallow, but lots of space.

I like your setup... very mature and filled in nicely. Sad to see it torn down!

Awww..thanks :). At least I won't have to wait for this new 20L to mature. It will pretty much be an instant reef. I think I'll combine the 8g with the 45g and just have one tank.

Woah! You're fast like me! When I decide I'm going to do something, I do it fast. Just like the predator switch over with my tank. Eddie makes fun of me for this, but once my mind is made up I want to do it asap haha. A 20L is a nice size. I prefer black backgrounds personally, but blue is nice too.

Impulsive is the word :). But I've been thinking about doing this for awhile...just haven't told anyone :). The kittens were definitely the final push for me.

I wouldn't paint the background but add a peel n stick clear diffuser like myself and hey have, it's pretty badass :)

The wall behind my tank is ugly (IMO) though and doesn't that show through the clear diffuser? I have wood paneling. Where do you buy it?
jedimasterben

The wall behind my tank is ugly (IMO) though and doesn't that show through the clear diffuser? I have wood paneling. Where do you buy it?

Have you seen what is behind hey's tank? :lol:

17081069683_0cf4f71145_b.jpg

Home Depot, but Lowes should carry it, as well as probably most hardware stores. It's about $35 for the roll of it. http://www.homedepot.com/p/Artscape-36-in-x-72-in-Etched-Glass-Decorative-Window-Film-01-0122/100616371?AID=11210757&PID=3952736&SID=i9xj0iwtz80004xp001rw&cm_mmc=CJ-_-3952736-_-11210757&cj=true

HarryPotter

Home Depot, but Lowes should carry it, as well as probably most hardware stores. It's about $20 for the roll of it.

Bamboo wallpaper?

I have a solid black (AIO) background, but have two blue paintings symmetrically placed above the tank. It really accentuates it IMO

IMG_0583_zps9lavhitb.jpg

Home Depot, but Lowes should carry it, as well as probably most hardware stores. It's about $35 for the roll of it. http://www.homedepot.com/p/Artscape-36-in-x-72-in-Etched-Glass-Decorative-Window-Film-01-0122/100616371?AID=11210757&PID=3952736&SID=i9xj0iwtz80004xp001rw&cm_mmc=CJ-_-3952736-_-11210757&cj=true

Yeah, that's why I said the background would be seen through it LOL. But I LOVE Hey's wallpaper....my wood paneling, not so much LOL. What about painting it white? Wouldn't that have almost the same effect as the window film?

oh, and is it easy to apply?

Bamboo wallpaper?

I have a solid black (AIO) background, but have two blue paintings symmetrically placed above the tank. It really accentuates it IMO

I've always done black and will probably go with that again :).

I actually like white. Hadn't seen it too much, but have you seen Ikoechle's tank (The Nautilus [85 shallow])? Its pretty with the white background and overflow box.

16056909972_441cc87755_z.jpg

http://www.nano-reef.com/topic/352763-the-nautilus-85-shallow-new-fts-and-katropora/page-3

Oh..I haven't :wub: That looks fantastic! Maybe I'll go white then!!!! I'll probably have to scrape it more often though? But if I don't rock-pile, I should be good to get back there :).
HarryPotter

I actually like white. Hadn't seen it too much, but have you seen Ikoechle's tank (The Nautilus [85 shallow])? Its pretty with the white background and overflow box.

16056909972_441cc87755_z.jpg

http://www.nano-reef.com/topic/352763-the-nautilus-85-shallow-new-fts-and-katropora/page-3

But when Coraline grows and actual time passes (The tank looks brand new- rocks bright white, etc) you may lose the precision and overall look of the immaculate "Whiteness"

But when Coraline grows and actual time passes (The tank looks brand new- rocks bright white, etc) you may lose the precision and overall look of the immaculate "Whiteness"

I don't think you'll see the rock in my tank...it's so covered with coral :lol:. But I hear what you are saying. Having the white will force me to clean it more often, for sure. But I don't think it will be an issue. I'm thinking I'll go white just for a change of pace. All of my tanks have had black backgrounds :).

I wonder if anyone sells a white HOB filter?

jedimasterben

Unless you have my tank which has some kind of anti-coralline hex on it. :)

Yeah you'll have to clean the glass more, but that should be ok. I'm OCD about scraping the back glass on my tank anyways and I have a black background. The white is really nice! But yeah, not sure about a white filter.

Archived