Top Shelf Aquatics

Gentlemen Prefer Cubes

gena

I like your name idea. I just throw stuff out there for fun. How often do they breed? And once you have babies, do they have to be separated?

• Replies 7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I like your name idea. I just throw stuff out there for fun. How often do they breed? And once you have babies, do they have to be separated?

Thanks! They can breed all year long but they need a cooling period or they will breed to death. It's too stressful for the female

to lay eggs continuously...she uses up all her calcium reserves. They lay eggs every 3-5 weeks and the incubation period is up to 3 months

depending on what temperature you keep them at. Cooler temp is longer than warm temp. But cooler temps make stronger geckos and produce more females...which is desirable.

There are definitely more male geckos produced it seems.

I only have one breeding age pair. Our original female Alduin (Aldi) and Snickerdoodle (Snickers) the male.

This is Snickers:

IMG_3410_zpsz3syqqoj.jpg

And Aldi:

IMG_3417_zpsxaou1qlr.jpg

Won't they make a cute couple???? :wub:

Those are some plump Cresties. My favorite of all the geckos, they are like the clown fish of the gecko world; friendly, hardy, funny and cute!

I think they're an awesome pair. Each has very distinct characteristics so I know I'm curious to see what kinda youngins' are born.

Those are some plump Cresties. My favorite of all the geckos, they are like the clown fish of the gecko world; friendly, hardy, funny and cute!

Yeah...I feed them Big Fat Geckos smoothie mix. It works LOL. Aldi is like 52g and Snickers is 36g. She's a bit bigger than him. You described them exactly. They are the sweetest little things EVER :wub:.

I think they're an awesome pair. Each has very distinct characteristics so I know I'm curious to see what kinda youngins' are born.

It's possible their babies will look nothing like them. Or they could be carbon copies. It will be fun to see what they produce :).

Thanks! They can breed all year long but they need a cooling period or they will breed to death. It's too stressful for the female

to lay eggs continuously...she uses up all her calcium reserves. They lay eggs every 3-5 weeks and the incubation period is up to 3 months

depending on what temperature you keep them at. Cooler temp is longer than warm temp. But cooler temps make stronger geckos and produce more females...which is desirable.

There are definitely more male geckos produced it seems.

I only have one breeding age pair. Our original female Alduin (Aldi) and Snickerdoodle (Snickers) the male.

This is Snickers:

IMG_3410_zpsz3syqqoj.jpg

And Aldi:

IMG_3417_zpsxaou1qlr.jpg

Won't they make a cute couple???? :wub:

Ok, these two are cute. I didn't actually think I would think they are cute, but they really are!

Ok, these two are cute. I didn't actually think I would think they are cute, but they really are!

I'm as in love with them as I am with my reefs :).

I used to breed gargoyle geckos from the same family. The female can carry viable sperm all season long and lay multiple fertile clutches from just one successful breeding. That's why a lot of breeders make sure the breeder male they use is the best they can find/afford. I used to also breed leopard morphs and Aussie geckos. Fun projects.

Cheery Cherry Geckos

Cheery because they are happy geckos :happy:. Cherry because they are the tops :wub:. And gecko because they are crested geckos LOL.

Anyone see that adorable Emerald Coral Goby on Diver's Den today? I saw it earlier and was soooo tempted. I didn't get it

because I read they are monogamous, only found in pairs in the wild (which made me sad he was a single fish) and found only in

birdsnest corals...which I don't have in my tank. I would have the unhappiest little coral goby if I brought him to my tank. Hopefully

someone who already has one got this one to pair them up :D.

He/she was a gorgeous little thing. Would have loved to have it.

I love it! And I've never thought of any reptile as being cute, but yours are :)

I missed the Emerald Coral Goby on Diver's Den, and the listing is gone already. But I found this: http://wetpixel.com/full_frame/ned-and-anna-deloach-image-search

See pictures #1 (red ones!), #20 (turns out the yellow ones can turn green!) and #21. Oh, and #19 too, for a nice picture of a trimma goby. They are seriously cute! And fuzzy... :wub:

They are beautiful! We had a bearded dragon named Spike. He was such a sweet heart. He'd lay on my tummy as we watched tv.

Cute names Annette!!!! We thought long and hard for a couple of days. Lots of ideas were thrown out. My son said I could

make the final decision on what it would be. Yippeee.....so I chose:

Cheery Cherry Geckos

Cheery because they are happy geckos :happy:. Cherry because they are the tops :wub:. And gecko because they are crested geckos LOL.

Thats a good name, especially if you think you may get into breeding other geckos... your name won't limit your growth or have people skip over you if they are looking only for a certain type. :)

Cute lil things ya got there too, wife is afraid of reptiles, amphibions, etc etc etc tho lol

I used to breed gargoyle geckos from the same family. The female can carry viable sperm all season long and lay multiple fertile clutches from just one successful breeding. That's why a lot of breeders make sure the breeder male they use is the best they can find/afford. I used to also breed leopard morphs and Aussie geckos. Fun projects.

Awesome! Yep, I've read the same about the crested geckos, carrying viable sperm for several months. This is an exciting venture for us. This weekend we picked up a large

shelf from Lowes to hold all the cages. It's not enough but for now it works. The main supplies should arrive this week and we'll probably put Aldi and Snickers together

next week :happydance:.

Great shots of the gobies- you and Maniu are making me NEED one

You definitely NEED one :D.

Oh wow! Those geckos are a super cute couple!!! :wub:

Thank you :).

I love it! And I've never thought of any reptile as being cute, but yours are :)

I missed the Emerald Coral Goby on Diver's Den, and the listing is gone already. But I found this: http://wetpixel.com/full_frame/ned-and-anna-deloach-image-search

See pictures #1 (red ones!), #20 (turns out the yellow ones can turn green!) and #21. Oh, and #19 too, for a nice picture of a trimma goby. They are seriously cute! And fuzzy... :wub:

They really are adorable. I'm not a "reptile" fan but cresties are different. I think it's their adorable faces and sweet little suction cup feet LOL.

That link you gave is AWESOME. Gonna go through it later on but the pictures I saw are :wub:. Aren't they fuzzy and cute? Like little muppets!

They are beautiful! We had a bearded dragon named Spike. He was such a sweet heart. He'd lay on my tummy as we watched tv.

Thank you! I bet you had a towel underneath? LOL Seems like they always like to poop when they come out of their habitat.

Thats a good name, especially if you think you may get into breeding other geckos... your name won't limit your growth or have people skip over you if they are looking only for a certain type. :)

Cute lil things ya got there too, wife is afraid of reptiles, amphibions, etc etc etc tho lol

Thanks, Chris! I doubt I'll get into other types of geckos, but you never know. I bet your wife would be ok with a crested gecko ;).

Thanks, Chris! I doubt I'll get into other types of geckos, but you never know. I bet your wife would be ok with a crested gecko ;).

With 2 boys I am sure there are worse possibilities LOL

With 2 boys I am sure there are worse possibilities LOL

Exactly! Like tarantulas or snakes or every other creepy crawly LOL.

Exactly! Like tarantulas or snakes or every other creepy crawly LOL.

Her aunt used to have bearded dragons I think, and she could tolerate being in the same house for family gatherings so maybe.... :lol:

Love the pics of your cresties! Oh the memories--I wanted one soooo bad when I was in undergrad, but there was strict "10 gallon tank, must breathe/live underwater" rule. So, I got back into fish with two ranchu goldfish. Miss those chubby buggers.

Are cresties like leopard geckoes where a degree difference in incubation temp determines males v. female?

I find this video relevant :D

Too funny :lol:

Love the pics of your cresties! Oh the memories--I wanted one soooo bad when I was in undergrad, but there was strict "10 gallon tank, must breathe/live underwater" rule. So, I got back into fish with two ranchu goldfish. Miss those chubby buggers.

Are cresties like leopard geckoes where a degree difference in incubation temp determines males v. female?

Well if you decide you want one in the near future, I should have some available :). I haven't read that it's a degree difference in incubation. But it is determined by temperature, lower for females, higher for males. For that reason I went ahead

and bought a digital egg incubator...which should be here today omgomgomg. Along with some other supplies. They can just sit on a shelf at room temperature, during incubation, but I want to really regulate the temperature to hopefully get more females.

I think you should get a crestie :flower:. There are soooo many awesome morphs. When we move, I'm going to need a house with a reptile room LOL.

Too funny :lol:

Well if you decide you want one in the near future, I should have some available :). I haven't read that it's a degree difference in incubation. But it is determined by temperature, lower for females, higher for males. For that reason I went ahead

and bought a digital egg incubator...which should be here today omgomgomg. Along with some other supplies. They can just sit on a shelf at room temperature, during incubation, but I want to really regulate the temperature to hopefully get more females.

I think you should get a crestie :flower:. There are soooo many awesome morphs. When we move, I'm going to need a house with a reptile room LOL.

Foul temptress! My husband would never agree :lol: I have been wanting a vivarium set up though...hmmm. I keep thinking if I had something up in the craft/sewing room I'd actually spend more time there.

But our old cat Beth has a thing about hunting reptiles. She doesn't care about mice/rats/birds, but she was relentless when I had leopard geckos and used to catch snakes all the time when she was an indoor/outdoor cat. I'd be worried she'd harass the crestie and stress it out.

Foul temptress! My husband would never agree :lol: I have been wanting a vivarium set up though...hmmm. I keep thinking if I had something up in the craft/sewing room I'd actually spend more time there.

But our old cat Beth has a thing about hunting reptiles. She doesn't care about mice/rats/birds, but she was relentless when I had leopard geckos and used to catch snakes all the time when she was an indoor/outdoor cat. I'd be worried she'd harass the crestie and stress it out.

Just keep the door closed so she can't get in there :).

GUESS WHAT GUYS????? My episode of Community is on the air this week!!!!!! I wasn't sure how well I'd be seen, but I got a starring shot LOL

My son said...you got a Sound Effect!!!! He's right. I'm the angry blonde on the right :lol: (we were supposed to act mad) and you have to watch the show to hear the sound effect :).

Screenshot%202015-04-14%2016.01.12_zps2i

That's great Gena. My wife and son love that show and watch all the time. I told them to look for you. Here's to more/bigger roles in the future! fingerscrossed

Archived