ReefCleaners.org

Eatfood's 6 Gallon Pico Reef - live rock added

eatfood

• Replies 80
  • Created
  • Last Reply

thanks for the kind words

just a little update - I just ordered my mp10 - super excited to play around with that thing. what mode would you recommend on this small of a tank?

reef crest or what ever they call the yellow mode.

thanks - that seems to be pretty popular from the reading i am finding. will reef crest mess with the ato float switch?

thanks - that seems to be pretty popular from the reading i am finding. will reef crest mess with the ato float switch?

shouldnt. if you have some sort of snail guard over the switch that will help alot.

Good question lol. I am giving my krylon fusion it's full 7 day cure to full chip resistance - which will be tomorrow. Then I am going to fill it with freshwater over night to leak test my silicone job (not that worried about it). so probably Sunday or Monday night I will have everything up and running (except for the mp10 which comes later in the week).

The part I am fairly undecided about is my live stock. Right now I have a AC20 full of cycled biomax on a little 2.5 gallon temp tank with the percula in it; and the live rock is about 2 week through a 4-6 week cooking process. I figured once I get the jbj up and running I could move the little AC20 and fish over. the question I have is the live rock. I know I am getting some more from the lfs. part of me wants to ditch the piece that is cooking right now and just get all new, but I am worried about new live rock causing a mini cycle that the AC20 can't keep up with - thus creating a water change dance to save my perc's life. Either way it is not going to be the biggest deal - I am already making a couple gallons of saltwater 2-3 times a week for my other nano and this rock cooking process.

airman_verde04

Very nice! Going to follow this one, so there are mods for HOB filters now you can buy? Haha.. This is what I get for leaving the Hobby for 4 years.

Can't wait to see this bad boy get wet.

id do it. such an awesome set up man. im really in love

thanks man

does krylon fusion hold up to scrubbing?

lnglostsurfer
thanks man

does krylon fusion hold up to scrubbing?

It Will Hold Up To Light Washing To Control Algae But I Wouldnt Use Anything Abrasive. Just Be Sure To Was It More Often So That You Wont Have To Scrub Hard

It Will Hold Up To Light Washing To Control Algae But I Wouldnt Use Anything Abrasive. Just Be Sure To Was It More Often So That You Wont Have To Scrub Hard

I could probably get the ol reef tooth brush or baby bottle brush I use to clean my skimmer on it every now and then when I mag float the glass.

I cannot wait to get off work tonight and get some water in this thing. I set it up last night in its final resting place and it fits perfectly.

The float valve easily came apart. I sprayed just the shield pieces, should look pretty sweet when it is done (got to give it the full 7 day cure time).

I set the tank up and I am mixing saltwater in it. Probably get some new pics up tomorrow.

I ordered some stuff to update the RO reservoir. I ordered a 1 gallon glass jug (clear with a little finger loop handle at the neck) and a drilled rubber stopper; all from a home brewing supply store. It will look clean sitting next to the tank, all glass and awesome.

I struggled with how to ATO my 5.5g nano. I was so concerned about snails clogging up my float and causing a flood I decided to try running just a timer.

I now have my aqualifter set to run for 45 seconds every morning from my ATO reservoir. As it turns out this works perfectly, even after a week away on vacation. Nice thing is I dont have to look at ugly float switches, or run multiples to prevent flooding. My tank is a fluval edge so I have VERY limited real estate for them anyway.

My 2cents.

I was thinking of doing that exact setup with a timer. My ATO setup on my other reef is the best money I have spent in this hobby (well that and an aqueon water changer for my larger freshwater stuff). I was going to do the timer thing until I found this smaller ATO float shield thing. It is going to look pretty sharp all painted black. If it starts to become a problem, I will be switching to the timer method for sure.

Archived