Premium Aquatics Aquarium Supplies

Aqueon Evolve Master Thread.

dtitus1

AquaticEngineer

awsome thread, ive got a evo 4 and i love it, i just need to see about skimmers that will fit in the back, not a whole lot of room back there

No doubt, I was looking at one of the Hydor Nano skimmers and theres not even enough room in the back of my Aqueon 8 for one of them. Only about 2 3/8" clearence in the back area to work with, so likely going with an air driven skimmer, unless I just make my own again :D

What skimmers have people been using on the Aqueon 8 tanks?

• Replies 415
  • Created
  • Last Reply
BattleAthletics

I freakin love this tank :) Since I have another one of these chillers already I may buy a second tank and set it up on the opposite side of my computer..........for symmetry of course ;)

Lololol oh ofc

Or.... For science!

Don't think a skimmer would be worth while, I mean, how hard is it for real to do water changes for a tank this small? You really wouldn't see any benefits IMO.

My first priority is to put a hob filter on the back of chamber one with some floss to pick up detritus which is as far as I can see the only design problem with these tanks. I've had floss and sponge in there, but every time I change it out all the crud goes back into the display, and this is with the pump off. Purigen bag in chamber 2 over the pump is good so I'll only be using the filter for mechanical removal. Thinking of going with an Azoo Palm cause I've used those in the past, but for just floss anything with a small footprint will work fine.

AquaticEngineer

I was leaning towards a skimmer option since everything in the tank other than the surfgrass is a non-photosythetic anemone or bivalve. I'll probably be feeding this tank about 3 times a day with mysis, cyclopese, live phyto, and live tigriopus californicus to pump up all the corynactis in there and keep the stalked tunicates happy. In the long run I imagine a skimmer being a cheaper option than chemipure or the like being rotated out on a regular basis.

happyhour99

I was leaning towards a skimmer option since everything in the tank other than the surfgrass is a non-photosythetic anemone or bivalve. I'll probably be feeding this tank about 3 times a day with mysis, cyclopese, live phyto, and live tigriopus californicus to pump up all the corynactis in there and keep the stalked tunicates happy. In the long run I imagine a skimmer being a cheaper option than chemipure or the like being rotated out on a regular basis.

thats cool, just a fyi purigen can be regenerated, and a little goes a long ways

AquaticEngineer

Hmmm, purigen would be much easier than dumping a skimmer :D Right now its just running on the stock filter with the carbon, so anything additional from this point on would be beneficial, lol.

Looks good. I really think a HOB would be better for grabbing up the extra food since that's actually the problem I'm having right now with the Clown Goby since he's a real finicky eater.

Harrisonbored

Hmmm, purigen would be much easier than dumping a skimmer :D Right now its just running on the stock filter with the carbon, so anything additional from this point on would be beneficial, lol.

depending on where you've got your chiller drilled a hob nano remora skimmer would def work well

Lookin good guys! What lights are you using over these?

i use a wave point 6 inch 8 watt LED, its good, but im thinkin of doing a par 30 or 38

Lol if it aint broke don't fix it. A par30 probably wouldn't be any improvement and a par38 you'd have to put it pretty damn high over there. I think it looks good if the beamswork is a flop thats probably what I'll get.

its a good little light, just so you know it doesnt have an on off switch, so i have mine on a timer, plus the blue and white mixed has more blue than white

blankminded

I dont run a skimmer. I run a poly filter and a phosphate reactor. I do 1 gallon water changes weekly. Ive never had any issues running it this way and my water stays nice and clean.

QuickSilver525

hey guys, i have a aqueon evolve 4, that now i have turned into a small frag tank. i have a ledtric par30 over it and upgraded pump. would yall suggest a 1 gallon waterchange a week or a 1/2 gallon? just curious. these little tanks are cool except for the lack of flow and detritus buildup. anyone doing anything to increase the flow besides the pump mod?

blankminded

I did the pump mod and added a koralia nano 240 but I also have the 8 gallon. Would def be to much flow for the 4 gallon.

You should be good with just the pump mod on the 4. I really can't imagine adding any more flow to it and having everything happy. How do you have rock scape if there is any (you said it's a frag tank) and how do you have the nozzle positioned? When I get back from my vacation I can show you how I have mine and it's perfect. Detritus is an issue with these though.

• Christopher Marks unpinned this topic

Archived