ReefCleaners.org

Aqueon Evolve Master Thread.

dtitus1

He has one, just tell him to make it in 1/2" and you're set ;)Anyone come up with an easy fix for surface skimming these tanks? When I had a JBJ nanocube they sold an attachment piece that fit over the grates to allow the water to flow over that then through the grates. Any such thing easily available for these? Or am I going to just have to glue some scrap acrylic together and make one, lol,

I got his prototype 12x12 cube. Actually 2 since first one got butchered in shipping. I asked Mike about it and there are some issues with larger tanks that he is working on but I am sure he will figure it out. I do love unique species and colors associated with cold water reef. Once the issues are sort out I am on board ;)

• Replies 415
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Just drilled the holes to run the tank in a series. The plan is to have the pumps run from one tank and pump into the other. This means the gph will need to be the same for each pump I believe. I'm a little unsure that I'll like the flow in the larger tank if I lower the gph so I drilled the holes high enough to run them individually just in case

post-80649-0-48502800-1383169261_thumb.jpg

The only issue I see is if one pump flows more it'll overflow the tank, And actual flow rates can vary even in identical pumps

I just personally found this out lol. Sooo...time to attack some more ideas. Worst case scenario is I patch the holes up by gluing a small piece of acrylic over them

I did but I was having trouble figuring out exactly what you did from the pics. I'm still tossing around the idea of using the 4 as a sump for the 8. Either way I go, I might be best off plugging up the holes on the 4

oh well theres one pump twords the top of one of the pics that pumps from the spec to the evo, and theres a tube from the evo to the spec where it acts like a straw drawing water from the evo into the spec

Gotcha. I was trying to keep everything hidden which was the reason for drilling the back to begin with but I successfully failed lol

Isnt the whole point of an AIO tank to keep it simple and all built in. With 8 gallons it seems pretty simple to keep crystal clear water without adding much equipment. Sorry, dont want to offend anyone just my $.02.

No offense taken. I got the tanks so cheap that I figured why not give it a try. I'm going to plug up the holes and run them individually.

Super glued a 3/32 thick 2x3 piece of acrylic in the aio to block the holes I drilled. It isn't pretty on the inside but it's holding water. Sometimes I need to just learn to leave things be lol

Super glued a 3/32 thick 2x3 piece of acrylic in the aio to block the holes I drilled. It isn't pretty on the inside but it's holding water. Sometimes I need to just learn to leave things be lol

yea i hear ya there, i get an idea and sometimes it doesnt go well

i got some chato and uva algae for my fuge, lets see of they do ok

erinelainerobertson

Thanks for the responses about cleaning my pump. I watched the pump mod video and took it apart and removed the flow dial, very easy. There was a lot more gunk in the strainer and I was able to get it all out once I took it apart - maybe that will help my nitrate levels. I will look into the filter mod. I will also try increasing my water changes to 2 gallons at a time. We have an ocellaris clown and a yellow clown goby. I live in Louisville, CO, between Boulder and Denver. I am thinking about adding to our clean up crew next. We have 2 nerites, 3 ceriths, 2 nassarius, a skunk cleaner shrimp, and lots of green algae on the back wall. Also used to have a hermit and an emerald crab, but they died. I am thinking about getting some limpets and a chiton, and possibly replacing the crabs. We had a peppermint shrimp that the emerald crab seemed to kill, and when we replaced the shrimp the same thing happened again, so I am a little nervous about trying another emerald, although the skunk cleaner shrimp is much larger than the peppermints and really the emerald was my favorite character in the tank. We did not have fish at that time so there was no possibility of it attacking fish. I am also interested in the idea of having some macroalgae in the tank, but if I tried to put some chaeto in the back (behind the filter), I would need some kind of light source in there, right? Would it be enough to just leave the black part of the lid off? Thanks again for your encouragement.

Thanks for the responses about cleaning my pump. I watched the pump mod video and took it apart and removed the flow dial, very easy. There was a lot more gunk in the strainer and I was able to get it all out once I took it apart - maybe that will help my nitrate levels. I will look into the filter mod. I will also try increasing my water changes to 2 gallons at a time. We have an ocellaris clown and a yellow clown goby. I live in Louisville, CO, between Boulder and Denver. I am thinking about adding to our clean up crew next. We have 2 nerites, 3 ceriths, 2 nassarius, a skunk cleaner shrimp, and lots of green algae on the back wall. Also used to have a hermit and an emerald crab, but they died. I am thinking about getting some limpets and a chiton, and possibly replacing the crabs. We had a peppermint shrimp that the emerald crab seemed to kill, and when we replaced the shrimp the same thing happened again, so I am a little nervous about trying another emerald, although the skunk cleaner shrimp is much larger than the peppermints and really the emerald was my favorite character in the tank. We did not have fish at that time so there was no possibility of it attacking fish. I am also interested in the idea of having some macroalgae in the tank, but if I tried to put some chaeto in the back (behind the filter), I would need some kind of light source in there, right? Would it be enough to just leave the black part of the lid off? Thanks again for your encouragement.

What was you light source again? You using the stock lighting?

Hey folks!

Thought I would join in on the conversation. The wife has always talked about how much she loved salt tanks and I wasn't onboard until recently. I had to figure out if I could just keep fresh water alive. So after putting the time in on three fresh water tanks and having mass failures but learning the whole time I eventually got in the rhythm and have two successful fresh water tanks (we gave one away).

I know that salt is significantly different that fresh but I believe the foundations of maintenance are similar. I am open to constructive criticism as I am completely new to the game.

This is what we have so far.

Tank-

Evolve 8

Temp screen door lid (waiting for clear 1/4 to come in mail)

Standard pump

Standard filtration (for now) - going for tank mod and egg crate base with clear fx pro

Vortech mp-10

live rock (cant remember weight)

live sand (lots, for bio filter and pistol shrimp)

Lighting-

maxspect razor r420r nano

Critters (Inverts)-

4 hermits

4 nassarius snails

1 peppermint shrimp

1 leopard pistol shrimp

Fish-

1 yasha white ray shrimp goby

Corals-

green torch

armor of gods

green wagon wheels

yellow polyp

green star polyp

green/blue mushrooms

candy cane

favia

let me know what you think!

Sully

10678579145_bf88564138_b.jpg

10678670504_17e1224e85_b.jpg

10678853993_f5b1ec5e42_b.jpg

10678831943_d56e59a789_b.jpg

10678639996_ddb013512c_b.jpg

Hey folks!

Thought I would join in on the conversation. The wife has always talked about how much she loved salt tank and I wasn't onboard until recently. I had to figure out if I could just keep fresh water alive. So after putting the time in on three fresh water tank and having mass failures but leaning the whole time I eventually got in the rhythm and have two successful fresh water tanks (we gave one away).

I know that salt is significantly different that fresh but I believe the foundations of maintenance are similar. I am open to constructive criticism as I am completely new to the game.

This is what we have so far.

Tank-

Evolve 8

Standard pump

Standard filtration (for now) - going for tank mod and egg crate base with clear fx pro

Vortech mp-10

live rock (cant remember weight)

live sand (lots, for bio filter and pistol shrimp)

Lighting-

maxspect razor r420r nano

Critters (Inverts)-

4 hermits

4 nassarius snails

1 peppermint shrimp

1 leopard pistol shrimp

Fish-

1 yasha white ray shrimp goby

Corals-

green torch

armor of gods

green wagon wheels

yellow polyp

green star polyp

green/blue mushrooms

candy cane

favia

let me know what you think!

Sully

10678579145_bf88564138_b.jpg

10678670504_17e1224e85_b.jpg

10678853993_f5b1ec5e42_b.jpg

10678831943_d56e59a789_b.jpg

10678639996_ddb013512c_b.jpg

welcome to the thread, and looks like your off to a great start, and feel free to ask anything on here, we are pretty friendly,

Alright...well since you said ask!

You can see in the second and third pictures I have something hanging all over the back wall. It doesn't really move (just with the current) what might that be?

I have a small population of aiptasia thoughout the tank and I got the peppermint to kill them. Should I just let him go at it or get aiptasia x treatment?

I want this tank to be successful and I am really concerned about pests.

Thanks!

Sully

im not sure i see what your talking about, if you could get closer pictures it would help, and ive used aptasia x and i used it 4 times on the same anemone and it didnt die, so i super glued it in the hole, the peppermint shrimp is a hit or miss, i wouldnt rely on it eating them unless youve seen them do it, about pests is the best thing you can do is dip and/or quarantine your new frags/fish

Just realized it has been a while since I updated anything on here about my tank.

Finally got a Par 38 Bulb, and did the filter mod with the egg crate. Using filter floss, Rubble on second level and Chem clear on lowest level.

post-79252-0-21748400-1383620502_thumb.jpg

Just realized it has been a while since I updated anything on here about my tank.

Finally got a Par 38 Bulb, and did the filter mod with the egg crate. Using filter floss, Rubble on second level and Chem clear on lowest level.

what bulb is that?

what bulb is that?

LED 21's Par 38 Bulb with 4 Blue 460nm, 4x10k White and 4x14K white. Was not very expensive and thought I would give it a go. Been great so far.

you may want to widen the optics and lower the bulb by the look

The bulb has only been over the tank for about a week and I am letting everything acclimate before I lower it to the tank. I am no sure on how to change the optics. Is that something I can do on my own?

• Christopher Marks unpinned this topic

Archived