Top Shelf Aquatics

Welcome our newest sponsor Santa Monica Filtration!

Christopher Marks

Christopher Marks

I'd like to welcome our newest community sponsor, Santa Monica Filtration!

Santa Monica Filtration offers a clever new filtration system for nano reef aquariums, a hang-on-glass upflow algae scrubber! This system allows you to utilize algae filtration in your aquarium while keeping the algae contained in a clever device complete with lights. Learn more and check out all they have to offer at http://www.santa-monica.cc!

hog-for-nanos.gif

• 2 weeks later...
SantaMonica

Deals... well the HOG.5 is currently selling at the wholesale cost (retail is $99).

And the HOG1 and HOG1x are cheaper if you get multiple units (the www.Santa-Monica.cc site breaks down the discounts).

• 2 months later...
SantaMonica

The LA Fishguy forgot about his HOG.5 for a while, and when he looked at it there was a ton of green inside :)

• 4 months later...

wow, the scam artist is brainwashing folks here too? omfg. is there not ONE website that has sponsor standards anymore? amazing what money and greed can do people. does santamonica demand that threads be deleted here also, like he does on his own site and on rc, when his ridiculous claims begin to be refuted w/actual scientific data and research?

this is a very sad day for me, due to all of the hobbyists that will be grossly misinformed about the factual science of, and performing, reef husbandry, on this site. no matter, a bbb complaint/investigation is now in the works. i don't think his sponsorship will last much longer anywhere on the net.

can you say 'aqua-ecolyzer' ?

i won't discuss it here as that will serve no real purpose. all will become clear in time. keep yer eyes open for news over the coming months/next year regarding a bbb 'F' rating for his products and the outlandish claims made about them. ;)

What :huh: ?

But a quick search reveals so many published, peer-reviewed studies on algae scrubbers decreasing nutrient levels in general!

http://www.sciencedirect.com/science/article/pii/027312239600354X

http://onlinelibrary.wiley.com/doi/10.1111/j.1526-100X.1993.tb00006.x/abstract

http://www.sciencedirect.com/science/article/pii/S0925857409003292

I don't see why this wouldn't work on an aquarium scale?

i won't discuss it here as that will serve no real purpose. all will become clear in time. keep yer eyes open for news over the coming months/next year regarding a bbb 'F' rating for his products and the outlandish claims made about them. ;)

Hello Vitz, nice of you to drop by. However you might be a little more careful of making false statements, since they are a case for defamation.

There are plenty of positive things about algae scrubbers. If you are suggesting "science" proves them wrong then you need to provide evidence. If you are suggesting that this sponsor has issues, then you also should mention those. As it stands now it just looks like you are trolling.

• 1 month later...

Hello Vitz, nice of you to drop by. However you might be a little more careful of making false statements, since they are a case for defamation.

lol-just wait until all of the false posts/statements made on 'your' forum site by you are picked apart one by one. it'll be easier than what was done to the ecoaqualyzer idjits. you've mislead enough people for enough time.

you truly do not scare or worry me, (i've some experience w/lawsuits) and your response indicates your defensiveness, which indicates, well….. ;)

this is going to be handled by the bbb.

There are plenty of positive things about algae scrubbers. If you are suggesting "science" proves them wrong then you need to provide evidence. If you are suggesting that this sponsor has issues, then you also should mention those. As it stands now it just looks like you are trolling.

there are also things an ats CANNOT do, and things that are indeed negative about them, both of which are falsely represented by santa all over the fish/reefkeeping 'internetverse' ;). some of them are egregious w/regards to the known science of algal biology.

the amount of misquotes and selective quoting by the odious santa of other's publications on his site, followed by misinterpretation/ misstatement, which he has never properly answered on ANY bb on which he's challenged, (not just by me, btw) should be enough for anyone here. it's easy to find. and again-i won't be doing any of that here, but w/ the bbb.

as a teaser, since some of you insist, i'll offer this one of dozens, if not hundreds of examples of his trying to twist other's work to his own commercial ends. from his very own site:

http://algaescrubber.net/forums/showthread.php?1539-Study-shows-that-corals-prefer-to-grow-touching-turf

i'd suggest y'all read it carefully before it gets edited/deleted by the ats shill.

any freshman year marine biologist can pick apart most of the false assertions made by santa. one of the most basic is his false assertion that algaes are the main nutrient/waste processor/recycler on the reefs. that's been proven to be patently false. (it's bacteria and sponges, fwiw).

ats's are not the end all/be all of filtration, they do not replace skimmers, or any other filtration method, and they produce wastes/toxins of their own that must be dealt with. this is KNOWN and PROVEN SCIENCE.

when someone distorts science to make a buck, they're defaming honest scientists and science. i take great exception to that.

i urge all of you to start reading the faq's on his site-it's a good start to see what i'll be dealing with in my complaints to the bbb, which will be reviewed/tested/challenged by objective scientists, not (no offense) by a hobby bb ;)

there are also things an ats CANNOT do, and things that are indeed negative about them, both of which are falsely represented by santa all over the fish/reefkeeping 'internetverse' ;). some of them are egregious w/regards to the known science of algal biology.

the amount of misquotes and selective quoting by the odious santa of other's publications on his site, followed by misinterpretation/ misstatement, which he has never properly answered on ANY bb on which he's challenged, (not just by me, btw) should be enough for anyone here. it's easy to find. and again-i won't be doing any of that here, but w/ the bbb.

as a teaser, since some of you insist, i'll offer this one of dozens, if not hundreds of examples of his trying to twist other's work to his own commercial ends. from his very own site:

http://algaescrubber.net/forums/showthread.php?1539-Study-shows-that-corals-prefer-to-grow-touching-turf

i'd suggest y'all read it carefully before it gets edited/deleted by the ats shill.

any freshman year marine biologist can pick apart most of the false assertions made by santa. one of the most basic is his false assertion that algaes are the main nutrient/waste processor/recycler on the reefs. that's been proven to be patently false. (it's bacteria and sponges, fwiw).

ats's are not the end all/be all of filtration, they do not replace skimmers, or any other filtration method, and they produce wastes/toxins of their own that must be dealt with. this is KNOWN and PROVEN SCIENCE.

when someone distorts science to make a buck, they're defaming honest scientists and science. i take great exception to that.

i urge all of you to start reading the faq's on his site-it's a good start to see what i'll be dealing with in my complaints to the bbb, which will be reviewed/tested/challenged by objective scientists, not (no offense) by a hobby bb ;)

Sure, there are plenty of things ats can't do. Good posts. I just wanted you to provide something to back up your claim.

just as an fyi, i've been doing this (hobby) for a VERY long time. and i have much too much respect, involvement, and passion for this hobby to EVER troll a hobby forum.

the best thing that can happen to/for me is for santa to try and sue me for 'defamation' at his volition. i'll eat him up for a light late night snack and humiliate him for all the public to see even sooner than i have planned if he truly wants to go down that road. you CANNOT argue w/science and biology ;)

he's been confronted many times by me on rdo, rc, and here, by me and others. not ONCE has he provided either a logical, scientific refute w/proofs, and he's shown a gross misunderstanding of the very nature of what he's shilling , down to proving he doesn't even know the diff between a species and a genus of algae, or which species are found growing on ats's, or establishing that the same species are growing in different hobbyists systems.

i can dig up threads on other forums from back when he started spamming them incessantly w/ misinformation threads pages long while insisting that he had no commercial interests or intent on being a marketer/salesman btw. you can also find them pretty easily by searching his 'handle' on rdo.

his strategy was simple-spam and spam to sucker noobs, and un/mis informed, to create a false impression, and then later start selling his 'end all/be all/cure all' product.

btw-i'll be challenging his patents, too :D

What :huh: ?

But a quick search reveals so many published, peer-reviewed studies on algae scrubbers decreasing nutrient levels in general!

http://www.sciencedirect.com/science/article/pii/027312239600354X

http://onlinelibrary.wiley.com/doi/10.1111/j.1526-100X.1993.tb00006.x/abstract

http://www.sciencedirect.com/science/article/pii/S0925857409003292

I don't see why this wouldn't work on an aquarium scale?

no one is arguing that algae takes up nutrients. no one will argue that fish or corals also take up nutrients ;)

that is not my issue, or my point :)

a direct quote of santa's from his own site:

"They don't understand that algae provide all the filtration on reefs; there are no waterchanges, because reef water is basically 100% recirculated among itself."

i'd take anyone's advice who states the above w/ far less than a grain of salt. 'reef water is circulated among itself' ? REALLY ?

how can you explain that one away, santa ? oh, you can't. gonna sue me for defamation on that, too? lol.

http://algaescrubber.net/forums/showthread.php?2984-Interesting-discussion-on-how-ATS-can-be-poisonous&p=34745&viewfull=1#post34745

smh

now i'll go back to gathering my materiele, and i won't bother y'all further here on this issue. :D

Archived