Coral Vue Hydros

Welcome our newest sponsor Santa Monica Filtration!

Christopher Marks

bacteria and sponges

Heterotrophic bacteria, and sponges, do not filter any ammonia, ammonium, nitrite, nitrate, or phosphate from the water at all. Only photoautotrophic organisms (algae) do so, in the top 100 m.

they do not replace skimmers

Correct; scrubbers do not remove food particles like scrubbers do.

they produce wastes/toxins of their own

Scrubbers (algae) produce glucose, vitamins (including C), amino acids, etc. You know, the same stuff you buy and dose.

As for corals touching algae, yes, the study shows that the majority of that reef has had those corals physically touching the algae for thousands of years, and became a large reef that way.

This argument is petty.

And this:

i won't discuss it here as that will serve no real purpose.

5 posts later

now i'll go back to gathering my materiele, and i won't bother y'all further here on this issue. :D

I don't think we are so lucky though. You are annoying.

wow, the scam artist is brainwashing folks here too? omfg. is there not ONE website that has sponsor standards anymore? amazing what money and greed can do people. does santamonica demand that threads be deleted here also, like he does on his own site and on rc, when his ridiculous claims begin to be refuted w/actual scientific data and research?

this is a very sad day for me, due to all of the hobbyists that will be grossly misinformed about the factual science of, and performing, reef husbandry, on this site. no matter, a bbb complaint/investigation is now in the works. i don't think his sponsorship will last much longer anywhere on the net.

can you say 'aqua-ecolyzer' ?

I really hope you aren't my age vitz, you're making a complete ass out of yourself. Clue ... it doesn't matter if you are right or wrong, it's how you conduct yourself.

Vitz appears to be following Santa Monica around.. he's been hounding him on RC for quite a while as well.

I really don't think this is the place for this Vitz..

wow, the scam artist is brainwashing folks here too? omfg. is there not ONE website that has sponsor standards anymore? amazing what money and greed can do people. does santamonica demand that threads be deleted here also, like he does on his own site and on rc, when his ridiculous claims begin to be refuted w/actual scientific data and research?

this is a very sad day for me, due to all of the hobbyists that will be grossly misinformed about the factual science of, and performing, reef husbandry, on this site. no matter, a bbb complaint/investigation is now in the works. i don't think his sponsorship will last much longer anywhere on the net.

can you say 'aqua-ecolyzer' ?

Honestly the BBB is a joke. Although they are more accredited than Yelp they still have shady business practices, just like how you have been part of NR since 2008 2003 have less than 20 posts and are claiming you aren't a troll yet you want to patent troll Santa Monica and have given a few examples of the issues that you have with santa monica but claim there are hundreds more.

Aqua Ecolyzer is 100% snake oil and has zero effect on the water. Just like those magentic balance wristbands that were popular a year ago. Algae scrubbers have proven to work.

BattleAthletics

Vitz seems to have a personal vendetta against a sponsor here on NR. Doesnt matter if SM is trying to sell his product or not. It shouldnt matter because if someone is trying to buy something they automatically should be doing their own research on a piece of equipment that they are buying.

Heterotrophic bacteria, and sponges, do not filter any ammonia, ammonium, nitrite, nitrate, or phosphate from the water at all. Only photoautotrophic organisms (algae) do so, in the top 100 m.

Correct; scrubbers do not remove food particles like scrubbers do.

Scrubbers (algae) produce glucose, vitamins (including C), amino acids, etc. You know, the same stuff you buy and dose.

As for corals touching algae, yes, the study shows that the majority of that reef has had those corals physically touching the algae for thousands of years, and became a large reef that way.

1) are you contending that all bacteria are heterotrophic ?

2)heterotrophs can most certainly consume ammonia:http://www.int-res.com/articles/meps/70/m070p273.pdf

no personal vendettas here, i assure everyone. this is an issue of trying to point out using falsehoods to make claims about a product/ methodology. my 'chasing' santa around everywhere is simply due to his posting falsehoods just about everywhere. please don't equate the message w/the messenger. i'm not attacking santa personally, i'm attacking what he's saying. there's a difference ;)

it's those statements which are compelling me to post abit further here

would anyone like me to post links establishing my statement about bacteria and sponges being the main recyclers/sinks of waste nutrients on reefs?

what about your (santa) statement about how reef's water is circulated among itself? are you really denying that ocean currents bring water to and away from reefs? it's the main reason why the water reefs are found in is nutrient poor.

my 'methods' aside,or how people percieve my behavior, it honestly seems like those taking exception to my comments/statements also seem to be practicing abit of 'self imposed ignorance' and confirmation bias due to personal feelings/opinions.

again-my issue is with the gross misrepresentation of, and absolute contradiction to, known biology and science, by someone who continually shows their gross lack of knowledge on the subjects they're talking about, sponsor or not. being a sponsor shouldn't be carte blanche to lie to people. on any forum. certainly not a forum for a hobby that relies so much on science and scientific principles

why should the truth be such a problem to anyone here ?

Honestly the BBB is a joke. Although they are more accredited than Yelp they still have shady business practices, just like how you have been part of NR since 2008 2003 have less than 20 posts and are claiming you aren't a troll yet you want to patent troll Santa Monica and have given a few examples of the issues that you have with santa monica but claim there are hundreds more.

Aqua Ecolyzer is 100% snake oil and has zero effect on the water. Just like those magentic balance wristbands that were popular a year ago. Algae scrubbers have proven to work.

'work' is a fairly vague term. algal scrubbers have also been proven to produce allelopathic chemicals that are poisonous and direct antagonists to corals, and yellowing compounds, (terpenes, phenols, etc.,),which need to be removed at some point by carbon, skimming, and/or water changes to mitigate those effects.

BattleAthletics

The truth isnt a problem here. The issues you have addressed while completely providing facts is that if you know this person is falsifying research or either facts. Why not address it to the site owner or the individual using the PM system. As a site we would like to also see what you are saying, but coming at SM saying his/her status on the BBB WILL be an F is absurd. Everyone has family and or bills. Whether SM believes he/she has a solid product is totally on him. Not on you. You are not directly affected by his sponsorship on NR, unless you were selling something similar as a competitor. You know, lashing out saying what SM is saying is wrong(or right) is not something that the NR community takes kindly. Regardless of the truth or made up truth, its the way your have presented yourself on this site being a member since 03, with 18 posts, most directed at what SM has said is a red flag as "following" anyways.

Anyways back to being a troll, I will present you with a picture that for me speaks more than words, even though the words are directly on the GIF itself.

didntread4_zps9db4f9d1.gif

Vitz is a crazy person, his threads get deleted on RC quite often.

IMO, algae scrubbers are a good safety layer. If your system is perfect, it won't grow hair algae. If your system isn't perfect, an algae scrubber will outcompete display tank algae growth and keep it away from your corals. Just make sure to run some carbon or uv or ozone to neutralize any potential allelopathy.

Vitz is a crazy person, his threads get deleted on RC quite often.

IMO, algae scrubbers are a good safety layer. If your system is perfect, it won't grow hair algae. If your system isn't perfect, an algae scrubber will outcompete display tank algae growth and keep it away from your corals. Just make sure to run some carbon or uv or ozone to neutralize any potential allelopathy.

He has the same attitude on other forums of him being right and condescending to others.

Also he F'ing loves his winky emoticons..

10-1 this guy can't keep anything alive in his own tank, therefore the need to compensate by constantly letting everyone else know brilliant he is.

10-1 this guy can't keep anything alive in his own tank, therefore the need to compensate by constantly letting everyone else know brilliant he is.

He posted a pic of his nano "from years ago" just today.

http://packedhead.net/2010/skeptical-reefkeeping-part-1-re-you-sure-that-that-thing-is-true-or-did-someone-just-tell-it-to-you/#more-85

this sums up this thread far more eloquently than i ever could.

fwiw to all of the insulters of my background/experience in this hobby, and of my professional background - well, you all couldn't be more wrong.

Uh okay don't really see how being skeptical sums up this thread.

I am actually curious at your tank(s). I would like to see them.

SpencerShepard

no personal vendettas here, i assure everyone. this is an issue of trying to point out using falsehoods to make claims about a product/ methodology. my 'chasing' santa around everywhere is simply due to his posting falsehoods just about everywhere. please don't equate the message w/the messenger. i'm not attacking santa personally, i'm attacking what he's saying. there's a difference ;)

This is either a personal vendetta, or bullying. You want to attack a company for false claims? There are plenty out there...but my guess is you chose this guy because he's an easy target. God forbid we purchase an algae scrubber and be disappointed with--- what exactly?? It's a freaking algae scrubber. I'm sure you could put your passion for scientific accuracy to better use.

Archived