Pod Your Reef

Floydie83's Nuvo 16

floydie83

I am new to nano-reef but not to reef keeping. I recently moved and decided to downsize to a nano aquarium from a 90 gallon. I was really excited about the elegance and challenge of a nano reef tank and especially a sumpless AIO. Anyways here is what I have going for the last couple weeks.

http://s892.photobucket.com/user/floydie83/media/nuvo16/167acf5c-e839-4979-bc99-98fa1c02525e.jpg.html'>167acf5c-e839-4979-bc99-98fa1c02525e.jpg

Equipment:

IM Nuvo 16

Maxspect Razor 120w 16000k

AquaC Remora Nano Skimmer

Ecotech Marine Vortech MP10w

DA RKL Plus

Tunze ATO

I am still in the setup process and need to get the chords under control. I am thinking of building a box that fits on the shelf to hide all the chords and display my monitors. That will clean this build a bunch. Any other ideas are appreciated.

As far as livestock goes:

Carib Sea Fiji Pink Sand (~15 lb)

Live Rock (~10 lb)

2 Mocha Clowns

1 Tail Spot Blenny

Skunk Cleaner Shrimp

3 Astraea Snails

3 Margarita Snals

The tank cycled fairly quickly. I am really happy with the quality of it all the equipment I have gotten. The skimmer is the only thing I am a little disappointed with, maybe I just need to give it time. I am also developing a cyano problem that needs to be nipped. I suspect I'm getting too much natural light...nothing I can do. I think I will try the cover the tank up method since I have no corals yet. See if this helps.

My cyano is out of control it was floating up in sheets when I got home. Lets see how the 3 days no light method goes.

911216_10102436867679450_1384790911_n.jp

...and all wrapped up!

909365_10102436867255300_885064383_n.jpg

Unwrapped the tank last night! Cyano is under control. Water Change this morning. Nitrates are reading 0. Glad to see this method worked. Picked up a tail spot blenny this morning and a green ricordea. I also got my cables under control. Looking good and feeling happy about the tank.

908468_10102445768766600_268411673_n.jpg

911512_10102445756211760_551596011_n.jpg

SeahawkReefer

Ah... nice build! I'd go with a bit more rock and a little different scape, but that's subjective. I really like the baskets to hide the wires in and to mount the controller on... Great start!

Ah... nice build! I'd go with a bit more rock and a little different scape, but that's subjective. I really like the baskets to hide the wires in and to mount the controller on... Great start!

Following along. Just started my nuvo 16 as well.

looking good! love the scape.

Thanks for all the support! I am really happy with how the baskets turned out. Thanks Target!

I've been using cable ties to mount things inside the baskets. Its making for a nice clean look. I need to find a way to hide top off reservoir.

• 2 weeks later...
floydie83

Not sure where all my pictures disappeared to?

Anyways lost all my fish last week :( I am letting my tank fallow for six or more weeks. I set up a QT tank and am letting that cycle as we speak. I never had a problem with fish disease previously. My old fish store treated with copper, new one doesn't I suspect this is part of the problem. Regardless, you live you learn. Excited to get some new fish into quarantine. I think I will do something more exciting than clowns or some designer clowns. Any ideas are appreciated.

All the inverts are looking great. My skunk cleaner is happy growing. Shed his skeleton a couple days ago. I added a few corals and will get pics of those later today.

• 2 weeks later...

did you skimmer stop spitting microbubbles yet? I got tired of it and just returned it and stuck to my little airstone skimmer.

did you skimmer stop spitting microbubbles yet? I got tired of it and just returned it and stuck to my little airstone skimmer.

yes it did. I also had to be a little careful about where i placed the outlet. If I let it pour over the pump I am sure I would have bubbles again. I moved the skimmer to the side as you see in the top photo. I was annoyed by this skimmer at first. Its running fine now, producing likes a dark crap.

It could be better I think, but I do like the sleek black look.

yes it did. I also had to be a little careful about where i placed the outlet. If I let it pour over the pump I am sure I would have bubbles again. I moved the skimmer to the side as you see in the top photo. I was annoyed by this skimmer at first. Its running fine now, producing likes a dark crap.

It could be better I think, but I do like the sleek black look.

thats good. I just didnt like having TONS of microbubbles as it was annoying to see and i didnt want to risk my sps. i do need a bigger skimmer tho...

• 4 months later...

A long overdue update on my tank. I have been adding a lot of corals and getting rid of a lot. All the softies are gone. The tank is now SPS and LPS dominant. I have a BRS 2-Part dosing system setup. In addition, I changed out the AquaC Remora Nano for the Aquamaxx HOB. What a better skimmer, not even close in comparison. SPS are starting to grow out nicely getting great polyp extension on some. My clam is doing great. Algae is down. See the video sorry for the crappy quality.

I am super happy I switched to Red Sea Coral Pro Salt. It's pretty close on the params I shoot for with dosing, so there is no need to dose it before changing out water. Just waiting and maintaining till this baby fills in.

• 3 weeks later...

I loved my RKL, but the features that the Apex has are awesome. Regardless, I found a great use for my RKL while I wait for a less expensive temp controller. Keeping my new keezer full of beer cold...

2013-10-10160343_zps9f3e1b82.jpg

Also new coral additions (sorry for crappy phone photos).

2013-10-10162419_zps531d3e49.jpg

2013-10-10162441_zps2bcdfb01.jpg

2013-10-10162505_zpsde1d4600.jpg

• 3 months later...

Archived