Cultivated Reef

Nuvo 16...(updated info and FTS)

NanoGuy13

I have a very similar set up, IM 30 with IM skimmer, AI nano sol blue, in tank basket with chemi pure elite and purigen. I have a goniopora too, going strong for 4 months, feed it very fine coral food. I also have chaeto and mangroves in the back and a canister with more elite and phosban with an inline UV sterilizer. 2 koralias and an mp 10. I wrapped my skimmer in floss pad and it drastically reduced micro bubbles . Let me know how you like the reactor! Tank looks great!

• Replies 63
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I really don't know how my reactor is doing because the only thing i don't test for is phosphates lol. But i don't seem to have any problems with algae so i seem to like it alot, I run gfo in it. I run the chemi pure elite and purigen but i just leave it sitting in one of the back chambers. i dont have them in a media basket or nothing, is that ok? Funny story, my dad bought me my goniopora as a present bc he liked it. I had no idea what kind of coral it was. So i did my research, i was bumbed out to find that it was once considered impossible to keep in a aquarium. I think im going on three- four months now with it and it looks healthy. If i can keep it passed six months i would say that was success and enjoyed it in my tank. Im feeding it oyster eggs right now. I tried the chaeto in one of the back chambers and had its own light, i just don't think it got enough flow and i started to see die off in it, so got rid of it. I would love to grow mangroves. Have you had success?

FTS

post-79577-0-92155700-1372259043_thumb.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

I also own a Nuvo 16 and have both the protein skimmer and reactor. The skimmer took about 3 weeks to break in and there were tons of micro bubbles in the beginning. I now have zero bubbles and the skimmer only produces some bubbles when I feed the tank. This just let's me know that it is working. The skimmer picture shows about 4 days of waste. I feed my tank twice a day with mysis, brine, Rod's reef food, and liquid phyto feast (32 drops per day).

post-80849-0-29463800-1374194668_thumb.jpg

Nice. I think I am going to stay away from the skimmer for now. I just can't stand micro bubbles and would just suck to put it in now with my tank almost fully stocked. LPS and zoas like somewhat dirty water so I am going to leave it as is and build a separate tank for SPS =)

I understand about the micro bubbles and was frustrated in the beginning of my set up. You know you tank best and higher nutrients are needed for the corals you have. Seems like you have a solid plan and best of luck. When you get the chance would love to see some updated pics.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 3 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Archived