Cultivated Reef

Questionable LR

mhossom

My LFS has LR available for 2.99/lb. The problem is that there is little to no file visible on the rock. Hence the price. Would this rock be OK to build my reef with?

I can get 30# Coraline rock from Gulf-View delivered to my door for $128. Is this the better choice?

Thanks.

The most important life on LR is not visible to begin with. The bacteria, that is. Everything else is purely window dressing.

So the question is, is there bacterial life still on the rock? If it was just rock that was picked up from a reef and selected out from the premium stuff to be sold dirt cheap, then the answer is probably yes. However, if there is no other life on the rock, it's possible that it was subjected to conditions that killed everything, including the bacteria.

My guess is that it's probably the former, and that the rock is actually suitable. If your LFS can confirm that the rock has been handled properly (which they probably can't), that would be reassuring.

i'd go with the gulfview. i've heard they're very good. one of the things i look for are hitchhikers (free livestock! :D ) with the LR. imo LR's the best when freshly imported (even better uncured but that's a pain to most people :x).

the lfs may be cured but as you said it looks devoid of extra life (=biodiversity).

marine center in tx and jeff's exotic fish are also good sources, very fresh.

I'd go with the Gulf-View; it's aquacultured and it WILL have lots of life. Besides, then you won't have to worry about lugging 30 lbs of rock home from the LFS.

Archived