Pod Your Reef

Meepduino: 2.0 RELEASED!

MeepNand

• 3 weeks later...

Meep,great work!

I've been following your controller for a few weeks now and decided to dive in and give it a shot.

I have a moderate level of experiance in electronics/ciruits and a have played with basic and C++ a bit so I dont think this will be too challenging especially since you have already done all the hard work.

My plan is to start with simple LED control and temp monitoring but eventually would like to add PH/ORP/Salinity and any other monitoring sheilds I can get my hands on.

I have just a few questions.

I'm looking at the DS3231 RTC over the DS1307 All data shows this is a better RTC and is 100% compatiable with the existing DS1307 library. Will I need to change the sketch from "ds1307" to "ds3231"?

from internet:

OtherThoughts:

DYI community is aware that the DS1307 modules are showing delays/advances in ramdom. It seems that the cristal is not calibrated after the module has been pu together. So, if you are finding accurancy problems with DS1307, this is the perfect replacement. DS3231 is excelent. It is out-of-the-box compatible with DS1307 libraries so you have just to plug-and-play. Your projects will never again delay/advance time in random. This module is very pricise. I have a testing project which checks NTP time from Internet and compares with time from this module. Over a week now less than 2ms difference has been noticed.

secone I will be using 1 5up LDD driver Board with (5) LDD-700 drivers. I think ti board already has the resistors installed so I wont need the 10k between the PWM out and the driver right?

Thanks and i'm sure I'll have lots more questions!

Waiting to order the RTC till I hear from you :)

If the DS3231 is code-compatible with the DS1307, it will work fine without changes.

You should not need the 10k ever, but it is good insurance for your Arduino in case anything fails on the driver. If they're already on the board, no need.

Sorry for taking so long to respond. I have not picked this up in a long time.

Just a heads up for anyone looking to buy the entire kit quick and cheap:

I found this ebay seller "nyplatform"

MEGA2560 Control Development Board ATMEGA16U2 For Arduino Compatible USB Cable $12.28

TFT 3.2'' 4.3'' 5.0'' 7.0'' Mega touch LCD Shield Expansion board for Arduino $6.86

3.2" inch TFT LCD Module Display 320 x 240 +Touch Panel PCB adapter color screen $20.86

DS3231 AT24C32 IIC Precision RTC Real Time Clock Memory Module For Arduino $3.26 (he also has the 1307 and 1307)

DS18B20 Digital Temperature Temp Sensor Thermal Probe For Thermometer Waterproof $3.26

10 Pcs 2x40 Pin 2.54 mm Right Angle Double Row Pin Header $4.16

He also has resistors, transistors, jumpers etc...

Shipping was $1.99 for all a total of $52.67 Order at 2:30 est and I already have a tracking #

Thanks for the list! I wiill update the first post.

• 6 months later...

Been a while since any activity on this, but i am having a crack. I am wondering which wiring diagram to follow when focused on lighting?

• Like 1

If you are using the DS1307, follow the left diagram. DS1302, follow the right. You can just omit the pieces you will not be using, uncluding the whole AC portion of the circuit with the SSRs, pumps, and heater.

You may want to have the fan just for heatsink temperature control.

• 8 months later...

Love this thread. Got a due and am trying to learn programming on this thing. One thing I noticed though is that the Due does not have any EEPROM. So I'll try to rewrite it so it uses flash memory instead....

• Like 1
  • 2 weeks later...

Love this thread. Got a due and am trying to learn programming on this thing. One thing I noticed though is that the Due does not have any EEPROM. So I'll try to rewrite it so it uses flash memory instead....

Good for you! Keep in mind the software doesn't suffer major performance decreases with the Mega, so if you can't get it working there shouldn't be a large performance hit.

You will need EEPROM to save your settings from shutdown, as AFAIK you cannot write to flash from runtime. The Due may be different, but I haven't worked with it enough to know.

If you do end up getting some working code, please PM me with it so I can add it to the first page.

Well I'm still learning, and the TFT bridge I got had the wrong jumper settings. The screen wants 3.3V, but the shield provides 5V. I'll try desoldering the jumper once I get my solder sucker along with a bunch of components that the slowing swimming here from China.

As far as permanent memory goes, there is an SD card slot behind the screen that I can use. I'm sure without EEPROM there're some other ways for permanent memory on the due.

• Like 1
  • 3 weeks later...

Well I'm still learning, and the TFT bridge I got had the wrong jumper settings. The screen wants 3.3V, but the shield provides 5V. I'll try desoldering the jumper once I get my solder sucker along with a bunch of components that the slowing swimming here from China.

As far as permanent memory goes, there is an SD card slot behind the screen that I can use. I'm sure without EEPROM there're some other ways for permanent memory on the due.

I've tried using the SD card on the TFT screens before, and it's rather tricky to get them to work (I haven't succeeded yet).

Any updates?

• 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Would it be possible to use a dispay larger than 3.2" on this project?

Yes, but the display will be cropped to the 320x240 screen resolution, meaning it will only display in the top-left of your screen if you use a screen with a higher resolution than that. If you use a larger display with a 320x240 resolution, that should work fine.

• 4 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...

can you provide the final sketch. i am absolutely new to this thing and that would be of great help.

i will be starting with the leds first and then move to other stuffs.

Meepduino 1.6 (and I believe 2.0) should be functional. If you're just looking at LEDs, anything from 1.3 upwards should have good features.

Just got an ATMega256 to upgrade my Typhon code (want to add a 5th channel) but I think I have most of the stuff here already except my screen is 16x2... A touch screen through PRIME may not cost much though...

Hmmm... I might have to try this out!

• Like 2
  • 3 weeks later...

I bought the due with the touch screen only to find out it doesn't work with the software because the due does not have EEPROM. i was going to change it to writing to SD or add external EEPROM to the due but gave up on the idea once I purchased my reefkeeper lite haha.

I am working on a "smart" doser though. I'm a very amateur programmer and it is taking me much longer than I thought. One main reason is because I chose a 16x2 LCD instead of a TFT touchscreen. I thought it would be easier because of the simplicity, but it turned out to be much harder because it is a lot more restrictive. Anyhow I am almost finished with the GUI.

Just got an ATMega256 to upgrade my Typhon code (want to add a 5th channel) but I think I have most of the stuff here already except my screen is 16x2... A touch screen through PRIME may not cost much though...

Hmmm... I might have to try this out!

• Like 2

I bought the due with the touch screen only to find out it doesn't work with the software because the due does not have EEPROM. i was going to change it to writing to SD or add external EEPROM to the due but gave up on the idea once I purchased my reefkeeper lite haha.

I am working on a "smart" doser though. I'm a very amateur programmer and it is taking me much longer than I thought. One main reason is because I chose a 16x2 LCD instead of a TFT touchscreen. I thought it would be easier because of the simplicity, but it turned out to be much harder because it is a lot more restrictive. Anyhow I am almost finished with the GUI.

You have no clue how close I was to pulling the trigger on a RKL on black friday... MarineDepot had a screaming deal on one that came with the accessories needed to monitor pH for like $170... I just wasn't 100% sure what I was going to do about dosing so I didn't get it. Probably should have though. How is the RKL for LED programming? It seems like you have to buy an extra board for that? And you only get 4 PWM outputs?

The Apex is pretty bad ass - but c'mon... $500? Frankly I don't understand how it's so popular for our small tanks... To be fair though the phone app is pretty awesome. Meep - how hard would it be to program in SMS updates to this thing? Have it send a text to you every 4 hours or something with the temp? And there might be a way to set your phone so that if it misses a text then it can alert you to a power outage?

Hmmm.... Sounds pretty awesome.

• Like 2

I got 2 second hand RKLs with the salinity probe module. I hooked up a cheap pH probe I got on eBay but have problems calibrating it. Honestly I couldn't care less about pH unless I dose kalk.

I don't use my RKL to control my lights so I cannot speak to that. Only thing I use it for is temperature, salinity, timer for my loud-ass skimmer, and allowing me to temporary shut off some pumps for feeding.

I think the arduino has an official WIFI and GPRS library. Not sure if it sends text message but with some work it should be able to send you an alert onto your phone.

My "smart" doser allows the user to put in their current KH and calcium readings and dose to the target level, then on days when no tests were done it uses past readings to predict the appropriate amount to dose. It turned out to be much bigger of a project than I first thought. ?

And sorry Meep for hijacking the thread.

You have no clue how close I was to pulling the trigger on a RKL on black friday... MarineDepot had a screaming deal on one that came with the accessories needed to monitor pH for like $170... I just wasn't 100% sure what I was going to do about dosing so I didn't get it. Probably should have though. How is the RKL for LED programming? It seems like you have to buy an extra board for that? And you only get 4 PWM outputs?

The Apex is pretty bad ass - but c'mon... $500? Frankly I don't understand how it's so popular for our small tanks... To be fair though the phone app is pretty awesome. Meep - how hard would it be to program in SMS updates to this thing? Have it send a text to you every 4 hours or something with the temp? And there might be a way to set your phone so that if it misses a text then it can alert you to a power outage?

• Like 1
  • 2 weeks later...

hey meep,

i have received my items. just before assembling everything i just want to be sure. will the sainsmart tft shield v1.0 work for your code. you seemed to have used v2.0. but here i dont get it. here is the link of the same product

http://www.sainsmart.com/sainsmart-3-2-tft-lcd-display-sainsmart-tft-lcd-adjustable-shield-for-arduino-2560-r3-1280-a082-plug.html

i am bit skeptical about the thing as many people are complaining that the shield doesnt work with the UTFT initiation that you have used.

UTFT myGLCD(ITDB32S, 38,39,40,41); this line do i need to change the model "ITDB32S" to

UTFT myGLCD(TFT01_32, 38,39,40,41);

kindly reply.

• Like 1

SMS messaging sounds fairly difficult. Easier to do would be something like WiFi application.

It looks like you can use an Arduino GSM shield: https://www.arduino.cc/en/Guide/ArduinoGSMShield

However, that would cost between $20-70 depending on where you buy from. The main problem I started running into with this project was a lack of pins. If you added one of those protoshields between the Mega and the TFT shield, then it's a lot easier to break out pins (no need to remove headers).

I haven't done any major dev work on this project in what must be like 2 years (!!) now, but I do get paid in a few weeks so I might try and start working on it again. No promises though.

I think there are many faults or lacks of features in today's reef controllers. For what they offer, most of them can be made with less than $30 in hardware for just the "brain" in quantity, and features like advanced weather are missing.

hey meep,

i have received my items. just before assembling everything i just want to be sure. will the sainsmart tft shield v1.0 work for your code. you seemed to have used v2.0. but here i dont get it. here is the link of the same product

http://www.sainsmart.com/sainsmart-3-2-tft-lcd-display-sainsmart-tft-lcd-adjustable-shield-for-arduino-2560-r3-1280-a082-plug.html

i am bit skeptical about the thing as many people are complaining that the shield doesnt work with the UTFT initiation that you have used.

UTFT myGLCD(ITDB32S, 38,39,40,41); this line do i need to change the model "ITDB32S" to

kindly reply.

I'm really not sure. I used to use the old UTFT library from Henning Karlsen, but I moved to the new library when I heard about it.

The shield you linked is a little different from mine; it has an SD card slot and another IC on it. I vaguely remember the old UTFT library promising SD card support from those types of shields, so maybe it will work.

Try leaving the code as-is first, then try the replacement line you are looking at (UTFT myGLCD(TFT01_32, 38,39,40,41)). If neither works we'll work through it.

I think I got a bigger sainsmart screen. I do know sainsmart doesn't provide good documentations for their products. Try initializing UTFT with different pin settings. Here's what worked on mine. I have an Arduino Due though I cannot remember if they're different. One trick is find the same product on amazon and see if anyone answered that question on the Q&A or in the reviews. You can also try emailing sainsmart for their sample codes. They got back to me pretty fast last time I asked.
UTFT myGLCD(SSD1963_480,25,26,27,28);
UTouch myTouch(6,5,32,3,2);

hey meep,

kindly reply.

• Like 1

I agree the part about not having enough pins. That's part of the reason why I chose the 12x2 liquid crystal screen with physical buttons over the TFT LCD screens. But I realized it is so much more difficult to make the GUI with that tiny screen. I'm spending much more time on the GUI than the actual "controller" part.

SMS messaging sounds fairly difficult. Easier to do would be something like WiFi application.

It looks like you can use an Arduino GSM shield: https://www.arduino.cc/en/Guide/ArduinoGSMShield

However, that would cost between $20-70 depending on where you buy from. The main problem I started running into with this project was a lack of pins. If you added one of those protoshields between the Mega and the TFT shield, then it's a lot easier to break out pins (no need to remove headers).

I haven't done any major dev work on this project in what must be like 2 years (!!) now, but I do get paid in a few weeks so I might try and start working on it again. No promises though.

I think there are many faults or lacks of features in today's reef controllers. For what they offer, most of them can be made with less than $30 in hardware for just the "brain" in quantity, and features like advanced weather are missing.

I'm really not sure. I used to use the old UTFT library from Henning Karlsen, but I moved to the new library when I heard about it.

The shield you linked is a little different from mine; it has an SD card slot and another IC on it. I vaguely remember the old UTFT library promising SD card support from those types of shields, so maybe it will work.

Try leaving the code as-is first, then try the replacement line you are looking at (UTFT myGLCD(TFT01_32, 38,39,40,41)). If neither works we'll work through it.

• Like 1

I agree the part about not having enough pins. That's part of the reason why I chose the 12x2 liquid crystal screen with physical buttons over the TFT LCD screens. But I realized it is so much more difficult to make the GUI with that tiny screen. I'm spending much more time on the GUI than the actual "controller" part.

So true. Of the 2000-line code, around 1000 is just displaying everything properly. SD card + loading pictures might be the solution to that, at least partially.

• 1 year later...
  • 2 months later...
On 7/13/2018 at 9:15 AM, jardiel said:

I can not compile on arduino uno, what should I do?

Sorry for the late response. If you read through the materials list and wiring diagram at the beginning, you'll see that this project requires an Arduino Mega to work.

You don't need an actual Arduino; an Arduino clone off Ebay will work just as well.