SaltCritters.com

Penny's Lane-A BC29 Journey. Retired

Pjanssen

There're Here! There're Here! So here's what $300.00 worth of corals, frags and nudibranchs look like

25509559454_ddf44ee70a.jpgUntitled by Penny, on Flickr

26088393846_460771cc01.jpgUntitled by Penny, on Flickr

26088395176_1a8b27172a.jpgUntitled by Penny, on Flickr

25841475530_9ea41b6a81.jpgUntitled by Penny, on Flickr

26021806902_ebfce683df.jpgUntitled by Penny, on Flickr

Aiptaisia Eating Nudibranchs

25841478550_5e7ee8a588.jpgUntitled by Penny, on Flickr

Acclimating

26047987771_f007d16ff6.jpgUntitled by Penny, on Flickr

26088402256_27d81c7cea.jpgUntitled by Penny, on Flickr

• Like 3
  • 2 weeks later...

so I'm feeling a little frustrated. Can't decide where to put any of my new corals so for the most part they are all still sitting on the sand. The $45 worth of nudibranchs that i bought to take care of the aiptaiisa have not so much as eaten a single one and they (the aiptasa) are multiplying. My candy cane that I bought a couple of months ago is not doing so well, and my urchins are picking anything light enough for them to carry. Sometimes I feel the only thing growing is some hair algae aiptaisa and GD xenia!

26346907616_426b9af743.jpgUsual suspect by Penny, on Flickr

• Like 2

so I'm feeling a little frustrated. Can't decide where to put any of my new corals so for the most part they are all still sitting on the sand. The $45 worth of nudibranchs that i bought to take care of the aiptaiisa have not so much as eaten a single one and they (the aiptasa) are multiplying. My candy cane that I bought a couple of months ago is not doing so well, and my urchins are picking anything light enough for them to carry. Sometimes I feel the only thing growing is some hair algae aiptaisa and GD xenia!

26346907616_426b9af743.jpgUsual suspect by Penny, on Flickr

Be patient with the Berghias. I bought 8, I saw them eat an aiptaisa the first night, then for 3 or four weeks, nothing. I thought they died. then all of a sudden I noticed they cleared one whole side of the tank. It's not those berghies that will do the job, but their offspring. The aiptasia will continue to multiply, but once the Berghias get going and breeding, the aiptaisa won't be able to outbreed them and one day, you'll have no aiptasia! Do you have any wrasses by chance? I did read that they could be a predator for the berghias.

25771829464_48cf874205.jpgFTS 04/11/16 by Penny, on Flickr

Looks beautiful!

Thanks for the encouragement. Haven't seen any of the berghias in over a week and I fear my diedemma ate them, although lisa from salty underground said she didn't think it would. No wrasses.

I'm thinking of trying to relocate myth RFA's to front and center and making that role left lower side a dedicated Zoa garden. The Duncan that is currently front and center will be moved up (stupid urchins got to them last night :furious: ) and I think I am giving up on the suns that are tucked back in the middle. Will the Nems get enough light in the middle, or will they be too shaded by things above. I don't think I like where the rhodactis colony is but having a hard time coming up with a place for it. Also, I'm thinking I still have too much hammer. Any thought/opinions?

25803960523_a803c5caa6.jpgFTS-4/13/16 by Penny, on Flickr

Here's a thought...can I epoxy the rhodactis rock vertically on the side right next to the green shrooms? won't really be visible from the front but will from the side

Having a little bit of an algae bloom, as well as diatoms settling on the sand. Picked up some GFO and carbon. Going to switch out my Chemipure blue and try the GFO carbon for a while. Changed the settings on my lights to run shorter and 10% less intense. Cutting back on feeding. Switching from synthetic salt back to natural sea salt. I really only switched to the synthetic to help with calcium levels, but since I have to dose calcium anyway I might as well go back to nature. Not sure what eats my calcium anyway, nothing in there that should be consuming it so much

• 2 weeks later...

Just a quick update. Did some rearranging today. Was suppose to be minimal just so I could get some of my newer corals off of the sand, but you move one little thing, which means you have to move something else, which leads to...will try to get a new pick up tomorrow when everything is done being pissed off at me.

• Like 1

so i moved the hammer up. It's way too big! moved the scans around to be able to put some of my Zoas in front. Moved the pink mushroom rock back down-It's an awkward fit wherever I put it. Moved the pipe organ front and center b/c it's so pretty. Had planned to move the toad up and back b/c it is hiding a RFA, but my clown has decided to claim it.

26729476546_3d79375b78.jpgIMG_3197 (1) by Penny, on Flickr

• Like 3

so i moved the hammer up. It's way too big! moved the scans around to be able to put some of my Zoas in front. Moved the pink mushroom rock back down-It's an awkward fit wherever I put it. Moved the pipe organ front and center b/c it's so pretty. Had planned to move the toad up and back b/c it is hiding a RFA, but my clown has decided to claim it.

26729476546_3d79375b78.jpgIMG_3197 (1) by Penny, on Flickr

lmao! Clowns are so damn demanding ;):PB)

This is the view from the left. The torch will eventually be moved up, but right now it seems happy on the sand. The RFA put himself where he is, as did the anemone. I was worried that it might cause harm to the Zoas, but they seem ok.

26729477246_8bc628254d.jpgIMG_3193 (1) by Penny, on Flickr

• Like 2

This is the right side. I have a lot of dead space that I don't like. If I put corals there, they will hardly be seen. I tried moving the base rock back more, but things started falling and I was getting tired so I just left it. I'm thinking the base rock is too vertical. My thought was that the mushrooms would eventually take over, but they have not cooperated thus far.

26729478096_ec21e8e62d.jpgIMG_3191 (1) by Penny, on Flickr

And speaking of mushrooms...remember the shroom that spit out it's own guts? This what it looks like now. Not so good

26148773234_bf33a8308b.jpgIMG_3188 (1) by Penny, on Flickr

lmao! Clowns are so damn demanding ;):PB)

I love that he goes in it. It's so cute. Sometimes he hangs out under it too.

• Like 1
  • Pjanssen changed the title to Penny's Lane-A BC29 Journey. Retired