Top Shelf Aquatics

Penny's Lane-A BC29 Journey. Retired

Pjanssen

Might not be dinos - I've had some weird snot stuff that ended up being diatoms.

bubble algae: if you just see one or two bubbles, try removing them (just don't pop them) and keep an eye on it. Or see if you can take the coral out of the tank, remove the bubble algae and then use a q-tip and dab some H202 on the spot, rinse the coral and put back in the tank. If it's just a little bit, I wouldn't worry just yet. and Bubble algae is not as bad as bryo.

• Like 1

Might not be dinos - I've had some weird snot stuff that ended up being diatoms.

bubble algae: if you just see one or two bubbles, try removing them (just don't pop them) and keep an eye on it. Or see if you can take the coral out of the tank, remove the bubble algae and then use a q-tip and dab some H202 on the spot, rinse the coral and put back in the tank. If it's just a little bit, I wouldn't worry just yet. and Bubble algae is not as bad as bryo.

How do I know if it's dino's or something else? Little bubbles at the top are what I was going by.

Not really worried about the bubble algae. Probably can remove that plug, good idea-Thanks. Also nothing that an emerald crab wouldn't quickly take care of.

Cencalfishguy56

I think I'm down to the final few strands of Bryopsis. Upped the mag levels a little more. Hopefully soon.

27268435233_49ca1540f5_z.jpgIMG_4019 by Penny, on Flickr

But now there's this. BUBBLE ALGAE! Where the heck did this come from? Sigh. Guess i've got to get to LFS for emerald crab.

27268435533_96b2f0de04_z.jpgIMG_4020 by Penny, on Flickr

And worse, appears to be dinoflagellates. UGH! Double sigh.

27268436293_4e9ef8bf72_n.jpgIMG_4022 by Penny, on Flickr27268437283_d09100393d_n.jpgIMG_4023 by Penny, on Flickr

+1 to Stella I have some bubbly snot shit here and there in my sump but no where in my display
  • Like 1

How do I know if it's dino's or something else? Little bubbles at the top are what I was going by.

Not really worried about the bubble algae. Probably can remove that plug, good idea-Thanks. Also nothing that an emerald crab wouldn't quickly take care of.

Well, cyano can also have bubbles at the top. How bad is it? Just a couple things here and there? it might actually just be Co2 coming off of micro algae or something.

and the only way I found out it wasn't dinos was by taking a water sample with some of the snot to one of my friends who works in a lab and he looked at it under a microscope.....

Damn this hobby, if it's not one pest it's another. I had my time with both cyano and dino at once. I called it cyanodinodamnitall. Water changes made one better, the other worse, there was no war won by me here. I dismantled the 60, moved rfas among my 34g and 20g and called it done. And thus now you see my 40g instead of the 60 shallow. Had a restart, oh and that's the 2nd restart cuz the first was electrocusion. Keep your head up!

• 4 weeks later...

I must be crazy! Only explanation. Bryopsis to the eye is gone. No more dinos or whatever it was (or wasn't). A little bit of GHA and a couple of easy to remove bubble algae to take care of. Tank looks pretty good. So why do I have it in my plans today to take everything out and re-scape it? Because in the words of Sheldon Cooper: "Bitches Be Crazy"

• Like 2

This is where I am. After taking everything out and putting it in containers with pumps. The container with all of the livestock has a heater as well. The container with the live rock does not. hopefully the heat from window will keep it from getting too cold. After taking everything out, I've decided to replace my sand, as there is a slight unpleasant odor. It's been over 3 1/2 years, so I'm not surprised. relaxing it seems easier than cleaning it. Not great planning, as Petco doesn't open until 10, and hopefully they have some live sand. Otherwise my LFS don't open until 11.

28285835291_b994a5ce91_c.jpgUntitled by Penny, on Flickr

• Like 2

Just read through your thread and seems like quite the project, hope it all goes well. You have a beautiful tank despite some of the issues that seem to be popping up! As far as the sand, once you get it all cleaned out, you can put everything in and replace sand later. Use a pvc pipe and dump the new sand in there directing it to the bottom of the tank - I've done it several times when wanting to add sand to bare bottom tanks. Otherwise hopefully some place opens up soon for you to get some!

• Like 1

Just read through your thread and seems like quite the project, hope it all goes well. You have a beautiful tank despite some of the issues that seem to be popping up! As far as the sand, once you get it all cleaned out, you can put everything in and replace sand later. Use a pvc pipe and dump the new sand in there directing it to the bottom of the tank - I've done it several times when wanting to add sand to bare bottom tanks. Otherwise hopefully some place opens up soon for you to get some!

By the time I finished clean up of everything, Petco opened so Hubby ran out to get some sand and a small heater. Only thing is that Petco only had caribsea bahama oolite sand, instead of the fiji pink that I had before. Reading up on it, I think it will be good. Better for shallow sand beds. I'm only going 1 inch. Thanks for the compliment on the tank. I'm hoping with this clean up I can get it better than ever. Bought some new frags a while back and couldn't find a good place to put them, which is a big reason why I wanted to re-scape.

• Like 2

It does look good for u Penny! I know ur new Scape will look amazing!

After reading Ur Issues and Hammerstone's...I am thinking I'd like to maybe re-scape sometime in the future.

I may go with less Rock...It seems I limited myself with space.

Time will tell, and don't worry, if I do, I will keep ya'll updated in my Build thread.

:flower:

• Like 1

All Clean and ready to go. Scraped out all of the aiptasia. Rinsed really well. Finished with a vinegar rinse and dry. The bad part is that I can now see just how scratched my glass is. (uh oh. I hear upgrade)

28289354231_6d2e81ec27_c.jpgAll clean by Penny, on Flickr

1 1/2 inches of CaribSea Bahama Oolite live sand

27751581964_7d7b22d6a0_c.jpgNew sand by Penny, on Flickr

Adding water. The plan was to try to keep it from getting too cloudy, but it didn't work!

27752413033_79cf9c5055_c.jpgNew sand by Penny, on Flickr

28085477040_cba000a8d1_c.jpgNew sand by Penny, on Flickr

Now to scrub the rocks while the sand settles a little, then begin the build

• Like 4

Ran into an issue-This rock, a base rock. I want to get rid of the xenia that is on it, and the hair algae that is growing between a Zoa colony. Main problem is that there are 2 RFA's and a bubble tip currently residing/attached. Anyone have a suggestion?

ok. i'll try that. got the zoas off and all clean up.

All I can think of is try position the power head so they will want to move.

can they be out of the water for a few minutes? my hope is to be able to chisel that part of the rock away

They can be out of the water for a bit. If you're chiseling the rock, just be careful, sometimes the rock splits in places you don't want it to..

• Like 1

Yay! It's done. On my way to LFS to see if there is any live rock that I can use to help with the re-scape. Everything is going to be glued down so I want to be sure which means I need lots of options. Fish are going into quarantine for a couple of weeks just in case I set off a Mini cycle. Will check to see what LFS has for clean up crew, but will probably end up ordering from reef cleaners

• Like 1

Can epoxy/putty? go bad? I pulled out a tube that is a couple of years old and it has a strong smell. I don't know if that's normal or not

Check out all of the aiptasia in my back chamber

28366162135_e26062d649_c.jpgAiptasia by Penny, on Flickr

just learned that this is not aiptasia, but ?Vermatid snails. I have soon ugh to learn still. At any rate, they are gone.

• Like 1

Should have scaped first then put the sand around it.

Not the end of the world! I scaped in completely murky water and was surprised by how great the scape looked. Maybe you will have similar success. Fingers crossed your problems dissapear.

• Like 2
  • Pjanssen changed the title to Penny's Lane-A BC29 Journey. Retired