ReefCleaners.org

Penny's Lane-A BC29 Journey. Retired

Pjanssen

Sincerely hope the new critters start eating your problems.... if not I think the new rock suggestion is probably best... lots of work but you know its worth it in the end

• Like 1

Here I go again! permanently replacing and removing any rock in the tank that has even a sliver of Bryopsis on it. Have to remove a few euphilias and 2 RFA's. Also have a small colony of pink long lash Zoas that are being smothered. Going to try to save them, I guess 1 polyp at a time. Should I give them a quick dip in revive or iodine, or both? Or should I just considered them lost and not risk transferring Bryopsis spores back into the tank?

30076460572_1e3a699335.jpgIMG_2834 by Penny, on Flickr

• Like 1

Here I go again! permanently replacing and removing any rock in the tank that has even a sliver of Bryopsis on it. Have to remove a few euphilias and 2 RFA's. Also have a small colony of pink long lash Zoas that are being smothered. Going to try to save them, I guess 1 polyp at a time. Should I give them a quick dip in revive or iodine, or both? Or should I just considered them lost and not risk transferring Bryopsis spores back into the tank?

30076460572_1e3a699335.jpgIMG_2834 by Penny, on Flickr

Thats sucks.

I went through the same thing with my death macro. I lost a lot of stuff I had for years. Some I dipped and watched for months before swapping them. Others I threw away if I saw any return of the death macro. It sucked then......but glad I did it as my cube is 100% clean.

I'd through away all rock, sand everything. Start new and only place coral into the new tank if you're 100% no bryopsis is present. Otherwise, all of that work is for nothing.

Beautiful pieces you have in there!

• Like 1

I had bryopsis in both my nano tanks. IMO, it is not worth rebooting a tank just because of it. Nuisance algae is part of a reefers life. I took my rock out and scrubbed with H2O2 every other week and eventually got it under control. If you reboot now, you gonna get some sort of algae again later. Fixing the root nutrient issue is the long term solution.

I had bryopsis in both my nano tanks. IMO, it is not worth rebooting a tank just because of it. Nuisance algae is part of a reefers life. I took my rock out and scrubbed with H2O2 every other week and eventually got it under control. If you reboot now, you gonna get some sort of algae again later. Fixing the root nutrient issue is the long term solution.

yeah, I agree, replaced my sandbed to remove excess nutrients. cut feeding down to every 3 days. Cut light cycle down by 3 hours and 10% less intensity. This one particular rock I can't keep up with the Bryopsis, plus it's strangling my Zoas, so it's coming out. One other rock is close behind so it will come out and be replaced in a week or so.

So for the first time since I cycled my tank 4 years ago I ran a nitrate and phosphate test.

NO3-25

PO4-0.1

Definitely need to bring the numbers down some. I've manually removed all of the Bryopsis, including breaking away the piece of rock that it was growing on. The only issue that I'm having right now is whatever is growing on whats left of my sand bed-thought it was cyano, but it's not really slimy, and it's really only on the sand bed. I've cut back feeding to once every 3 days, and cut my lights down by 15% and 3 hours less. I do a 5 gallon (20%) water change every 5-7 days. Tonight I added a capful of MicroBacter 7.

Other parameters are

Calcium-350 having trouble keeping this level up-dosed 2.5g Seachem calcium

Alkalinity 8.1 dosed 1.25g Seachem alkalinity

Magnesium 1520- a little high but I'm not worried about it

Hoping to get a water change done tomorrow, then will add another capful of MicroBacter 7

Open for suggestions on what else I can try to get this tank looking better

• Like 1

I'm so excited! I'm hoping this helps keep dead zones at bay and things from settling on the sand so much. Should make most of the corals pretty happy too, including any future ones. The best part is that my in-laws just gave me money for an upcoming birthday, so I really didn't even have to pay for it. If I don't win the auto-doser that entered to win, then I'm going to buy one of those next! Woo Hoo! I'll get a picture up after I get everything reorganized.

30336726292_92c2e55e6e_o.jpgUntitled by Penny, on Flickr

• Like 5
Cencalfishguy56

I'm so excited! I'm hoping this helps keep dead zones at bay and things from settling on the sand so much. Should make most of the corals pretty happy too, including any future ones. The best part is that my in-laws just gave me money for an upcoming birthday, so I really didn't even have to pay for it. If I don't win the auto-doser that entered to win, then I'm going to buy one of those next! Woo Hoo! I'll get a picture up after I get everything reorganized.

30336726292_92c2e55e6e_o.jpgUntitled by Penny, on Flickr

ooooooh fancy
  • Like 1

Uhhhhhmmmm. I'm in over my head! So many options. How do I choose? Steady, no. Pulse, if so what speed? Gyre/Reverse Gyre? i seriously would appreciate some help

I run mine on pulse, I think. It ramps up to about 60% for a few seconds then back down again.....repeat.

24" cube.

• Like 1

Uhhhhhmmmm. I'm in over my head! So many options. How do I choose? Steady, no. Pulse, if so what speed? Gyre/Reverse Gyre? i seriously would appreciate some help

Wow, a gyre. That is pretty awesome. I wish I could advise about mode but I have no experience there and its over my head too.

• Like 1

I run mine on constant because of the warning on "Pulse" mode that it may damage integrity of the tank. I dunno how severe that warning is but it is enough for me not to run pulse...

So just curious why we would have a Gyre if we don't run it on Gyre?

Currently set it on Gyre at 30% with reverse at every 2 minutes at 20%. Guess I'll see how everything looks tomorrow

How about turn it on and see what works :lol: you may just be stirring the sand.................

• 3 months later...

Current full tank shot. Looks a little empty as some of the rocks have been moved to a holding tank as I continue to battle Bryopsis. Thought I had it all eradicated. Ha. What I fool i was. 3 weeks of being MIA took it's toll. I moved my Zoa rock to discover uncontrolled growth at the back of the tank. Clearly this stuff doesn't need too much light. Currently trying Fuconazole.

31948514014_cf686fee03_o.jpgIMG_3686 by Penny, on Flickr

• Like 6
  • 2 weeks later...

Today marked the 14th day of flacon treatment. Still have the Bryo. Deciding what to do next. Also discovered Aiptasia for the first time (thought I had them before, but turned out to be vermicide snails-no wonder my Berghia Nudibranchs wouldn't eat them!). Where the heck did they come from? I haven't added anything to my tank in months. Picked up some peppermint shrimp. I think they've eaten a few, but now I can't find them (the shrimp). Hopefully they are just hiding, otherwise, pretty expensive fish food.

Well that sucks :(

When you did the fluco, did you discontinue water changes, carbon, gfo, and skimming? Just checking...from the thread on R2R everybody seems to be reporting that it works.

20 minutes ago, teenyreef said:

Well that sucks :(

When you did the fluco, did you discontinue water changes, carbon, gfo, and skimming? Just checking...from the thread on R2R everybody seems to be reporting that it works.

Yep. No carbon etc. just floss. Most of the Bryo is gone. I had a really thick patch that is probably 80-90% gone. Everyone says theirs was all gone by day 14. Naturally I am the exception to the rule! Just wondering if I should wait a few days, or do a water change and dose again.

• Like 1

I've seen a couple people report that really thick patches took a second round to knock out. I'd remove what you can manually and then repeat a few days after a water change. 

• Like 1
  • Pjanssen changed the title to Penny's Lane-A BC29 Journey. Retired