SaltCritters.com

Penny's Lane-A BC29 Journey. Retired

Pjanssen

Ugh! I forgot how difficult it is to aquascape in a cloudy tank.

I find it difficult to aquascape any tank...cloudy or clear. I am never happy with it and usually spend a few days moving stuff around till I finally just give up and live with it.

• Like 4

I find it difficult to aquascape any tank...cloudy or clear. I am never happy with it and usually spend a few days moving stuff around till I finally just give up and live with it.

right up my alley

• Like 1

27785188294_720f07a8f7_c.jpgFTS 071816 by Penny, on Flickr

I'm hoping the front rock takes off as an Acan colony. The right side is Shrooms, plays and Zoas. The left is mainly euphillia. Middle is miscellaneous. RFA's are currently front left and actually look pretty good right now. BTA is hiding in back but looking better than an hour ago.

• Like 4

The hammer is massive. about 1/4 of it broke off while I was moving stuff around. Think I'm just going to sell the broken piece, about 10 heads (Astinus?). Torch looks good, but I really miss my yellow one. Frogspawn is almost non existent-hopefully it comes back. Duncan should be fine. Waiting to see on the new gold hammer

• Like 1

I wrote the following on another thread for another reefer, but then I thought it should be part of my build thread, so here it is:

To link to my page, just click on the blue line at the bottom of this post that says "bc29 build". Most of the work was done inside. I pulled the carpet back and put towels around, as well as having a hand towel handy for frequent drying of hands and clean up of little oopses! My fish and snails are in a clear plastic storage bin with power head and heater. Live rock was put in a separate clear plastic bin with water. most corals went in with the fish, but a few were too big and went in with live rock. I put a lid loosely on the fish container in case they wanted to jump ship. I did was the bins with plain white vinegar then wiped dry with paper towels. I had two 5 gallon buckets, one with peroxide and salt water, one with just salt water- both about 1/2 full. My rocks did not have as much broadcast algae as yours, but I did have to hand pick out hair algae from between delicate corals. Even with that, they were out of the water less than a minute or 2. I then swished them in the peroxide solution for about 30 seconds, then rinsed them in the fresh salt water. They then went back into the plastic bin. At this point I emptied the two 5 gallon buckets (I made sure I kept a bottle of peroxide in case I need it). Now I began siphoning out the water. This is where hubby came in. He would empty one while I kept siphoning the tank. That's pretty much all I used him for. Try to keep the area around you somewhat organized and a decent path from the buckets to wherever you are dumping your water. When I got as much water out as I could, i used a large plastic cup to scoop the sand out. I kept about 1/2 cup of the old sand to seed my new sand. You don't have to do this, I just did. Keep it wet if you do. When I got as much sand out as I could, Hubby took the tank outside for a good cleaning with the garden hose, and scrubbing with a dobbie sponge (sponge for non stick fry pans that you can pick up at the grocery store). When all clean, I did a rinse with white vinegar and again dried with paper towels to remove any missed residue. That's pretty much it. Then I added new sand with some water. It took most of the day Sunday, but that's because of the amount of corals that I had to meticulously and carefully clean. Feel free to ask me any questions.

I forgot to put in my post above. The water that is in my holding containers is water siphoned directly from the tank, that way there was no worry about different parameters, and shock to your creatures. I keep my house pretty cold, so the heater was paramount to keep water temp from dropping too low. The fish are still in the holding "tank" until I'm sure I don't have a little cycle. I also added 1/2 a bottle of nitrifying bacteria (Fritz Zyme 9, it's all my LFS had).

• Like 1

The hammer is massive. about 1/4 of it broke off while I was moving stuff around. Think I'm just going to sell the broken piece, about 10 heads (Astinus?). Torch looks good, but I really miss my yellow one. Frogspawn is almost non existent-hopefully it comes back. Duncan should be fine. Waiting to see on the new gold hammer

I'd Love to, but not at this time Penny :(

• Like 1

Yay! It's done. On my way to LFS to see if there is any live rock that I can use to help with the re-scape.

Be careful adding new rock to your display. Here's a link where someone added dry rock and it caused an ammonia spike. She even asked about it prior to buying it. I'd cure any new rock in a separate container (whether is is live or dry rock) until I knew that it wasn't generating ammonia.

• Like 1

Be careful adding new rock to your display. Here's a link where someone added dry rock and it caused an ammonia spike. She even asked about it prior to buying it. I'd cure any new rock in a separate container (whether is is live or dry rock) until I knew that it wasn't generating ammonia.

Too late. I just added one piece of new live rock. Hopefully if there is anything in it, the rest of my established live rock will take care of it. I also added Fritz Zyme 9 as a precaution.

• Like 2

This is my original build almost 4 years ago. Problem with it was not really having space for corals

What I meant was, New Tank is required ;)

yeah, thats not going to happen. No job = no money.

I hear ya..here, let me give ya a Paddle...we can paddle that boat together :D

• Like 2

just checked chemistry

Little bit of ammonia. less than .25 added more fritz Zyme

Alkalinity 8.1

Calcium only at 360

dosed for alkalinity and calcium

Tanks looking petty good. Acans look a little better. Polyps came out a little on toadstool. Euphillias and RFAs all look really good. !/2 of the Zoas look good.

• Like 5
  • 2 weeks later...

Admiring my "sparkling" clean tank and guess what I just discovered. #%*^#@* BRYOPSIS! WTF does a reefer have to do to get rid of it. It's like cockroaches that survived the ice age. :rant::rant::rant::rant:

• Like 1

Sorry to hear about that, but not too surprising. :( If only it were that easy to beat.

However, now that you have it pretty much contained, you have a much better shot at getting rid of it forever. Spot treat it right away. If possible, I'd remove the rock, and peroxide that area. 35% peroxide would be my weapon of choice, but you can use 3% if that's all you have. Let it sit out of the water for several minutes while you keep dropping peroxide on it periodically.

While I think that scraping it would improve the result, I'm a little worried that it could spread more. I might take a dental scaler and cut underneath it (taking some of the rock). Then peroxide the area, and rinse off the rock before putting it back in.

051716a.jpg

You can see on the right side, one that I've used for awhile and a new one beside it.

Wandering thought: I wonder how it would react to vinegar?

• Like 2

The whole tank was just broken down and cleaned and peroxided etc. just frustrating. I agree with taking rock out and scraping away below the rock surface. On my to do list for today. Cant leave out too long as several corals and rfas are attached. only have 3% peroxide on hand. Tried to find 35% locally but no-one has it. ordering on line for future use.

• Like 1

The whole tank was just broken down and cleaned and peroxided etc.

Yeah, I've been following along. I know how frustrating it can be. Good luck!

• Like 1

3% peroxide has worked for me, but I had to do two or three repeated treatments a couple days apart to truly kill the algae. Good luck!

• Like 1

So remember when the Bryopsis was on the open end of my tube anemone and I just cut it off? Well the newly found strands were on the opposite end, essentially buried in the sand (brand new sand, btw! :rant:). So do I dare cut the tail end of the anemone off, or is that more of a living part of it? Right now it is in my QT. Maybe just dip the tail end in straight peroxide for a couple of minutes?

Scraped and peroxided the rock that was next to it as a precaution.

• Pjanssen changed the title to Penny's Lane-A BC29 Journey. Retired