inTank Media Baskets

Penny's Lane-A BC29 Journey. Retired

Pjanssen

I want to say let the stand dry a week before putting the tank on it, but that stand is so scary.  Still, I'd check the directions on the poly for the time it takes to "fully" cure (even if it means putting the tank on the floor while the stand dries).  The finished stand looks sweet.

1 hour ago, seabass said:

I want to say let the stand dry a week before putting the tank on it, but that stand is so scary.  Still, I'd check the directions on the poly for the time it takes to "fully" cure (even if it means putting the tank on the floor while the stand dries).  The finished stand looks sweet.

The can just says light use after 24 hours and doesn't mention full cure at all. Normally I would think 48 hours to 1 week. I have 2 problems with putting it on the floor. 1st is dog hair. I suppose I could figure out a way to keep the back chamber, which is open, covered. The 2nd is a bit trickier: a 2 year old grandson!

Thanks for the compliment on the stand. I'm pretty happy with it. 

5 hours ago, Pjanssen said:

The can just says light use after 24 hours and doesn't mention full cure at all.

I have a can of water based polyurethane, and it states:

• 2 hours before recoat
  • lightly sand if a coat has dried more than 24 hours
  • 24 hours before light use
  • 3 days before subjecting it to normal use

However, on another triple thick can, it states:

• 48 hours before light use
  • 7 days to fully cure

Hope that helps.  Do you think your stand can hold up long enough for a 72 hour dry time?

1 hour ago, Pjanssen said:

Would love to put a sump down in the bottom, but its above my scope of knowledge.

We could help you if you want.

1 hour ago, Pjanssen said:

Not sure I like the height of the new stand.:unsure:

Is it hard to clean?  A folding step stool nearby is a great help for tall stands.  I use one for my 100 gallon.

Wow your old stand was really scary looking!  I'm a little surprised it was still holding everything up - given the fitted nature of the BC29 resting on that overhang...

Really great looking new stand though!  Congrats on a successful swap.  The stain you chose looks great with the tank.  Hopefully you get used to the new height.  Hard to tell in pictures but it doesn't look crazy tall.  Looks nice.

On a side note while water base poly is nice and easy to use it's not the greatest for standing up to saltwater.  I used water based poly on my stand and in the area directly underneath the tank it's pretty much worn away. Granted this is quite a few years later...  I would just say clean up water spills as quickly as you can.  

• Like 1
8 hours ago, seabass said:

We could help you if you want.

Is it hard to clean?  A folding step stool nearby is a great help for tall stands.  I use one for my 100 gallon.

Thanks.

Havn't clean it yet, but I'll definitely have to employ help to put water back in. Thinking of using a pump to pump it up.

6 hours ago, ajmckay said:

Wow your old stand was really scary looking!  I'm a little surprised it was still holding everything up - given the fitted nature of the BC29 resting on that overhang...

Really great looking new stand though!  Congrats on a successful swap.  The stain you chose looks great with the tank.  Hopefully you get used to the new height.  Hard to tell in pictures but it doesn't look crazy tall.  Looks nice.

On a side note while water base poly is nice and easy to use it's not the greatest for standing up to saltwater.  I used water based poly on my stand and in the area directly underneath the tank it's pretty much worn away. Granted this is quite a few years later...  I would just say clean up water spills as quickly as you can.  

Yeah, the stand was pretty bad. I chose the stain color to go with other furniture in the room. It does have a nice contrast to the tank. Thanks.

I used an oil based poly. 3 coats. Thought about using a spar varnish, but when that starts cracking its a big pita to remove, not to mention more toxic fumes. I had to work indoors because of the humidity here. Still fighting off a headache!

The new stand looks great Penny and I am glad the transfer went well.  A sump is not as hard as you might think, especially if you soft plumb it with flex tubing.

7 minutes ago, vlangel said:

The new stand looks great Penny and I am glad the transfer went well.  A sump is not as hard as you might think, especially if you soft plumb it with flex tubing.

Thanks.

So with an all in one tank, I would just plumb the lines behind it and up to the back chambers? What becomes of the back chambers?

6 hours ago, Pjanssen said:

What becomes of the back chambers?

Is it possible to remove it all? :unsure:  That would free up some more space.  If not, you could drill an overflow in the last chamber and still use the first chamber for floss and chemical media.

3 hours ago, seabass said:

Is it possible to remove it all? :unsure:  That would free up some more space.  If not, you could drill an overflow in the last chamber and still use the first chamber for floss and chemical media.

IDK what's possible. I'm sure its been done. I'm just not much of a DIYer unless I have very precise and detailed step by step instructions, preferably with pictures and graphics.

Haha, you sould see my sumps.  They are just a standard tank with a single glass baffle siliconed in to make a return chamber.  But yeah, if you want a macroalgae fuge, then any of those should work fine (even the least expensive one).  I kind of like that first one (the ten gallon tank).

I agree with seabass, the inexpensive 10 gallon will be just as effective as the cooler looking pricey sumps. I used a diy 10 gallon sump for a long time.

• Pjanssen changed the title to Penny's Lane-A BC29 Journey. Wayward 'Shrooms

Anyone else having trouble with Flickr? It won't let me Embed like usual?

Anyway, Is it normal for Rhodactis mushrooms to wander? I've had this colony for a couple of years and it never has before, but I found this lone one on the sand pretty far away from the rest of the colony. Also, I don't recognize the green mushroom behind it. I have a blue colony on the opposite side of the tank. Could it have been dormant for years and all of a sudden come out?

IMG_5061.thumb.jpg.1f7df6c8821788c9516e85bff431ffa5.jpg

HarryPotter
On 3/15/2018 at 6:34 PM, Pjanssen said:

Would something like this for less than $25 dollars (I have a 10 gallon tank) s-l1600.jpg.0fb88f05dca51f4084949da233ad43a0.jpg

be just as effective as something like this for $200+

IceCap-15-Reef-Sump-99.thumb.jpg.4d42f09893c464c72992c34a4b104126.jpg

Your tank wont know how expensive your sump is xD 

I like the baffle kit, it looks really simple and effective. I don't like the little covered chambers of the other sumps you posted- really really hard to clean the detritus out. 

The stand looks nice too. Are you going to put on a front cover of sorts? 

I don't know about the mushroom :( 

4 minutes ago, HarryPotter said:

Your tank wont know how expensive your sump is xD 

I have a very smart and picky tank!

I like the baffle kit, it looks really simple and effective. I don't like the little covered chambers of the other sumps you posted- really really hard to clean the detritus out. 

Good point, Thanks

The stand looks nice too. Are you going to put on a front cover of sorts? 

Yes, I'm still working on finishing it. 2 coats of clear coat down, 1 to go. Then I guess I have to do the other side too.

I don't know about the mushroom :( 

Yeah, I guess softies aren't your thing Mr. SPS. But thanks for looking.

Christopher Marks
27 minutes ago, Pjanssen said:

Anyone else having trouble with Flickr? It won't let me Embed like usual?

If you just copy/paste the Flickr photo page address into the editor, it should embed automatically. No need to copy their embed code anymore :) 

Oh, definitely go for the 10 gallon DIY sump too!

HarryPotter
2 minutes ago, Pjanssen said:

I have a very smart and picky tank!

Good point, Thanks

Yes, I'm still working on finishing it. 2 coats of clear coat down, 1 to go. Then I guess I have to do the other side too.

Yeah, I guess softies aren't your thing Mr. SPS. But thanks for looking.

What finish are you using on the stand? An oil based clear polyurethane? 

I have a few mushrooms that appear on shaded areas, but nothing soft besides that 

2 minutes ago, Christopher Marks said:

If you just copy/paste the Flickr photo page address into the editor, it should embed automatically. No need to copy their embed code anymore :) 

Oh, definitely go for the 10 gallon DIY sump too!

I'll try that next time, thanks.

The problem I just discovered with the 10 gallon DIY is that it doesn't fit in my stand :angry:. I don't know why I thought it would.

• Pjanssen changed the title to Penny's Lane-A BC29 Journey. Retired