Cultivated Reef

Penny's Lane-A BC29 Journey. Retired

Pjanssen

11 hours ago, Pjanssen said:

Blue Pocciliporis. Started turning white. I turned the light intensity down and now its turning brown

I know brown isn't very attractive, but it is healthier.  Could be that the changes were too sudden.  Maybe you need to slowly start increasing the light again.  Which I know can be hard when dealing with photosynthetic pests.

Brown could also indicate an increase in phosphate.

16 hours ago, Pjanssen said:

Having trouble with Alkalinity stability which I know is attributing to at least the SPS problem, and probably the Euphillia too. Feeling like I should stop trying to dose and just go back to more frequent water changes. Everything always did fine with that and maybe this tank just isn't meant for SPS.

Yeah alkalinity stability is critical.  Instead of less dosing and more water changes, how about more water changes while dosing.  When you target parameters the same as a newly mixed batch of saltwater (except for magnesium which should be at least 1300), then water changes do not cause instability.

Maybe add a little Kalkwasser to your top off water.  That might also help with your alkalinity.

2 hours ago, seabass said:

I know brown isn't very attractive, but it is healthier.  Could be that the changes were too sudden.  Maybe you need to slowly start increasing the light again.  Which I know can be hard when dealing with photosynthetic pests.

Brown could also indicate an increase in phosphate.

Yeah alkalinity stability is critical.  Instead of less dosing and more water changes, how about more water changes while dosing.  When you target parameters the same as a newly mixed batch of saltwater (except for magnesium which should be at least 1300), then water changes do not cause instability.

Maybe add a little Kalkwasser to your top off water.  That might also help with your alkalinity.

I'm sure I have phosphates as I have algae, might be time to put chaeto back in when the fulonozol treatment is done.

So this might be a problem. First let me start by stating that I don't mix my own water, I use natural ocean water that I get from my LFS. They filter it and run it through a UV sterilizer. I use to test it regularly, but hadn't in quite some time (years). I just tested it and the alkalinity is at 7.1. No wonder it drops in the tank when I do a 20% water change. I guess I should I dose the new water to bring it up to my target of around 8.4 before doing a water change?

I'll look into Kalkwasser again as well.

50 minutes ago, Pjanssen said:

I guess I should I dose the new water to bring it up to my target of around 8.4 before doing a water change?

If you wish to use the NSW, I would dose to 7.1 dKH.  That way a 20% (50, or 100%) water change wouldn't cause a swing.  I think that will help.

The ocean has an alkalinity of about 7 dKH.  I think you need to ask yourself what elevated alkalinity can do for your system.

• Like 1
24 minutes ago, seabass said:

I think you need to ask yourself what elevated alkalinity can do for your system.

This is an excellent point! What does an elevated alkalinity do for my tank? I really do try to do due diligence and research,  but sometimes I think I understand something and expect to ace the test only to find that I got a C-! I originally started dosing to raise my calcium with the plan to get a clam. My understanding was that if you dose and raise calcium, you must also dose and raise alkalinity to keep it balanced. I don't remember where the 8.4 dKH came from. I'm thinking it is the recommended balance to a calcium level of 430-440?

• Like 1

Maintaining NSW levels should be sufficient for a clam.

I've read several articles and posts about balancing alkalinity and calcium.  However, I've never really bought into it.  With sufficient magnesium (at least 1300 ppm), it should be possible to maintain calcium and alkalinity within recommended ranges without maintaining a "balanced" ratio.  Also, I haven't seen any studies which show that consumption of either calcium or alkalinity is effected if one of the elements is out of balance, but still within recommended ranges.

It is true that there is a relationship between calcium and alkalinity consumption.  This relationship is exploited when people dose equal parts of alkalinity and calcium.  However, I'm not aware that a particular ratio is required to be maintained.  IDK, maybe maintaining the levels of new saltwater helps keep these levels "in balance".

This tank continues to give me trouble, and is still declining. All Euphillia still struggling. Acans and Zoas look okay but not great. Pipe Organ has not opened back up since soaking in peroxide. All 3 SPS look about the same, which I guess is better than looking worse. Tort still shows no signs of polyps. Blue pocilliporus still "tan". Pink Birdsnest just collecting algae and micro bubbles from whatever bacteria is growing.

BTA's have relocated to the back of the tank and remained closed up much of the time. 

Bryposis seems to be receding 1 week into Fluconozol treatment, but now red cyano is creeping in.

Every couple of days I reduce the amount of Ca and Alk that I dose to gradually bring it back down to natural sea water. I'll have to see what happens from there as far as the SPS goes. I'm glad at this point that I didn't pull the trigger on the Monti's that I was going to get.

Almost to the point of retiring this tank.

• Sad 2
  • Wow 1
1 hour ago, Pjanssen said:

This tank continues to give me trouble, and is still declining. All Euphillia still struggling. Acans and Zoas look okay but not great. Pipe Organ has not opened back up since soaking in peroxide. All 3 SPS look about the same, which I guess is better than looking worse. Tort still shows no signs of polyps. Blue pocilliporus still "tan". Pink Birdsnest just collecting algae and micro bubbles from whatever bacteria is growing.

BTA's have relocated to the back of the tank and remained closed up much of the time. 

Bryposis seems to be receding 1 week into Fluconozol treatment, but now red cyano is creeping in.

Every couple of days I reduce the amount of Ca and Alk that I dose to gradually bring it back down to natural sea water. I'll have to see what happens from there as far as the SPS goes. I'm glad at this point that I didn't pull the trigger on the Monti's that I was going to get.

Sorry to hear about the troubles.  I accidentally left my pipe organ out of water for a good while when moving my tank and it did take a good week or more to start opening again.  I hope yours starts getting better soon.  What will you do with the livestock if you retire this one?

3 minutes ago, Lula_Mae said:

What will you do with the livestock if you retire this one?

Not sure. Sell some of it off? put Zoanthids in IM14? Probably save Acans for new IM 20 drop-off when I get it. I'll probably end up keeping it, but I really don't want 3 reef tanks plus the freshwater.

Ahh Penny, I am sorry to hear that the tank is struggling.  That can be so discouraging, especially when you are trying hard to do a good job.  We have all been there.  Hang in there and things will turn around.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
30 minutes ago, Pjanssen said:

Not sure. Sell some of it off? put Zoanthids in IM14? Probably save Acans for new IM 20 drop-off when I get it. I'll probably end up keeping it, but I really don't want 3 reef tanks plus the freshwater.

Yeah that can get to be a lot of work!

• Like 1
17 hours ago, Pjanssen said:

Like @vlangel said, "We have all been there".  Still, that doesn't make it any easier.  Sometimes a tank can fight you and fight you.  You know, sometimes I look at some of the beginners' tanks (which aren't facing these problems) with a little envy.

It really stinks when you get something invasive like bryopsis.  You end up dosing, dipping, and fragging.  Stability and biodiversity suffer, and so does your livestock.  I feel for you.

15 hours ago, Pjanssen said:

I really don't want 3 reef tanks plus the freshwater.

I get that, especially when you are fighting with one.  I hate giving up on a tank, but there are times when it makes the most sense.  But don't let it get you down.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Things are starting to look up a little. Zoanthids and palys are bright and open. Green hammer is starting to puff up more, although I fear several heads are lost. Green torch is extending a little more. I don't think the gold hammer or frogspawn will make it, but they havnt done well since putting them in the tank. 

AND...Maybe my imagination or wishful thinking, but I believe I see some polyps on the blue cali

Cali tort improvement

Bad cell phone pic, but I was too excited not to share

• Like 4
3 minutes ago, Pjanssen said:

Things are starting to look up a little. Zoanthids and palys are bright and open. Green hammer is starting to puff up more, although I fear several heads are lost. Green torch is extending a little more. I don't think the gold hammer or frogspawn will make it, but they havnt done well since putting them in the tank. 

AND...Maybe my imagination or wishful thinking, but I believe I see some polyps on the blue cali

Cali tort improvement

Bad cell phone pic, but I was too excited not to share

omgomgomg

fingerscrossed

:happydance:

• Like 1
  • Pjanssen changed the title to Penny's Lane-A BC29 Journey. UGH!

Algae Algae Algae. All kinds.  All places. Not sure when it started, maybe when I went to australia for 2 1/2 weeks. Added Chaeto to the back chamber a couple of weeks ago to try to help with nutrient uptake but it hasn't really made a dent I don't think. Been doing weekly water changes, and changing the filter media every couple of days. soaked some Zoa plugs in peroxide and it helped for a little while, but the algae is back with a vengeance. Running Chemipure Elite. Just bought a Koralia Slimskim nano skimmer, but it will be a few days before I have the time to rearrange the wiring so that I can get it up and running. Hopefully that will help. Not sure what else to do. Aaaaagh!

• Sad 3
  • 3 weeks later...

In the 29 news-The skimmer that I bought did not fit (guess I mis read the specs), and I just haven't seen too many great reviews on what is available to fit so I'm back to not having a skimmer. More frequent water changes, little lower light intensity and 1/2 hour less time along with manual removal seems to be helping with the algae a little bit. I Also added a few more crabs and snails  this past week. Today I added lawnmower blenny! Once released, within minutes he moved to a patch of algae and started eating! I have high hopes.

39375216314_ff3dcd231f_z.jpgLawnmower Blenny by Penny, on Flickr

Hawkeye is curious, but so far has not bothered the new maintenance man ( I mean fish!)

39187723985_e1abd4b474_z.jpgLawnmower Blenny by Penny, on Flickr

• Like 4
  • Pjanssen changed the title to Penny's Lane-A BC29 Journey. Time to mow the turf!
  • Pjanssen changed the title to Penny's Lane-A BC29 Journey. 2/13/18 update with photos

Just a quick update on the tank:

Since adding the lawnmower blenny, which my husband has named Oscar, My algae has been drastically reduced! I'm actually thinking I'm going to have to start feeding him :P.

My rodhactis mushrooms are growing like crazy40247586901_e652806635_n.jpg29 update by Penny, on Flickr. They took out some acan heads before I realized what was going on40247586811_d6de5f67e2_n.jpg29 update by Penny, on Flickr, and just about completely destroyed a Merletti that I was trying to grow :(. There is very little tissue left, but I've been trying to feed it a little daily in hopes of being able to bring it back. I've never had luck with merlettis or trumpets39349943425_d8773cdc83_z.jpg29 update by Penny, on Flickr

My blue mushrooms, hammer, and torch are also doing very well26375343468_eb32d96333_z.jpg29 update by Penny, on Flickr40247588401_5032c3c87f_z.jpg29 update by Penny, on Flickr40247587231_c95a023532.jpg29 update by Penny, on Flickr

More later-I'm at work and have to get some stuff done before the boss walks in <_<

• Like 5
47 minutes ago, fishfreak0114 said:

I love your mushrooms!  They make such a colourful full patch. I hope to have some like that one day!

29 minutes ago, vlangel said:

Me too, those mushrooms are awesome!

Thanks guys, I love my mushrooms too, especially the blue ones. Not too crazy about the Rhodactis burning stuff, but I just need to find someplace else to put them. I'm think on the rock above the Anemones. Who do you think will win, 'shrooms or anemone?

38437022380_a6669d208a_z.jpg29 update by Penny, on Flickr

• Like 3

The toad stool started tearing awhile ago. It started with a little hole that just kept getting bigger. I don't know if I should just leave it alone and see what shape it takes, or frag the dangling parts off. It actually looks really pretty when polyps are fully extended-kind of ribbonie

39349943205_77bff63a4f.jpg29 update by Penny, on Flickr

• Like 2
  • Pjanssen changed the title to Penny's Lane-A BC29 Journey. Retired