Top Shelf Aquatics

Penny's Lane-A BC29 Journey. Retired

Pjanssen

3 hours ago, Pjanssen said:

Does anybody know if there is something I could/should dose to aide in the recovery? Aminos, carbs, vitamins?

I have had this numerous times, it has always been my lighting, each time I have shortened my light cycle they have come back to life quickly.  In this hobby we all know it could be anything

Good Luck

Nooooo!!!!

Do you have any lugol's, so you could do a lugol's dip?

I've had that heal things before. 

1 cup tankwater, 2 drops lugol's, 5 mins, if you have it. 

1 minute ago, Weetabix7 said:

Nooooo!!!!

Do you have any lugol's, so you could do a lugol's dip?

I've had that heal things before. 

1 cup tankwater, 2 drops lugol's, 5 mins, if you have it. 

no lug's. I do have sachem iodine, but I don't know if that would help or not.

6 hours ago, Smear1183 said:

I have had this numerous times, it has always been my lighting, each time I have shortened my light cycle they have come back to life quickly.  In this hobby we all know it could be anything

Good Luck

so you suggest less light at this point?

Yeah, go ahead and do a dip with the Seachem iodine, and go by instructions on the bottle. 

You really only need to save enough tissue so that it can grow back from it. I still see enough tissue in there now. 

4 minutes ago, Pjanssen said:

This is a nail biter. There really aren't instructions on the bottle for dipping injured corals. I'm going to have to research that a little first

Really? They must have changed the bottle. If they have instructions for dipping to kill pests, it's fine to go by that. 

I no longer have a bottle of that, or I'd look at the instructions for you. 

3 minutes ago, Weetabix7 said:

Really? They must have changed the bottle. If they have instructions for dipping to kill pests, it's fine to go by that. 

I no longer have a bottle of that, or I'd look at the instructions for you. 

maybe your thinking of seachem reef dip, which is an Iodine. I have Seachem Iodide, which I guess is different. Wondering if my local Petco has either Lugol's or Reef Dip?

I have Revive, which I used initially

Just now, Pjanssen said:

maybe your thinking of seachem reef dip, which is an Iodine. I have Seachem Iodide, which I guess is different. Wondering if my local Petco has either Lugol's or Reef Dip?

You know what, you're right, that's exactly what I'm thinking of. Good catch. 

I would think Petco would have one of those 2. 

I would be a little hesitant to use Revive with it already stressed. 

That has seemed a little harsher to me, although if it reaches a point where it's almost dead it would be worth trying. 

(I don't think you're there yet.)

I guess in my personal experience, lugol's has always seemed like a milder dip that I resorted to for newly fragged corals or injured corals, or corals that were going downhill for no discernible cause. 

Stuff like Revive, CoralRx or Bayers I use to kill pests or on new stuff I'm adding to my system to prevent pests. 

FWIW, I also agree with the lower light, lower flow recommendations. 

• Like 1
fishfreak0114

I just use plain old iodine from Walmart pharmacy section for dips. I add enough to make the water weakly coloured, and dip for 5-15 minutes depending on the situation. It's worked well for me. 

• Like 2
33 minutes ago, fishfreak0114 said:

I just use plain old iodine from Walmart pharmacy section for dips. I add enough to make the water weakly coloured, and dip for 5-15 minutes depending on the situation. It's worked well for me. 

Really? I've never used iodine, I've read that it can be very toxic if misused, so I guess it scares me a little

56 minutes ago, Weetabix7 said:

I would think Petco would have one of those 2. 

No luck at Petco or Petsmart for either product.

HammerLover

I have those problems with Euphyllias ever since. Every time I buy a torch, frogspawn or hammer at one point or another they will end up in a nasty brown jelly infection even though other corals are fine :( 

the best thing I do now is to attach a styrofoam at the base of the coral so that it floats in the water and non of the tissue touches the plastic bag (i believe they are very sensitive to handling/tissue damage). Then before adding it to the tank I make sure to dip it in iodine ( I only have povine iodine, we dont have lugols here) and clean the coral's corallite (its the coral's skeleton, there is usually some sort slime buildup there during transport which I clean and remove carefully with a brush. Careful not to touch the coral tissue!)

after a month of living in my tank they can handle a couple of abuses like injury from falling down in the rockwork and certain nipping from some fishes like clowns. There is really a debate about these brown jelly infections and Im sure there's much more info that needs to be discovered

• Like 4
fishfreak0114

Maybe it's iodide then? (If that's less dangerous to use on coral). I'm not 100% sure. Anyways, it's the stuff to use on people. 

21 minutes ago, fishfreak0114 said:

Maybe it's iodide then? (If that's less dangerous to use on coral). I'm not 100% sure. Anyways, it's the stuff to use on people. 

I think you are right. People use iodine. I've just never done it. I do dose iodide in my tank monthly

upon waking this morning, finding the torch with barely any polyps left. At this point I figured I have nothing to lose, so I decided to dip in whatever iodine I could find. All brands have other ingredients like glycerol, citric acid, and other unpronounceable ingredients. I went with Betadine as it only has 3 ingredients: 10% povodine iodine,purified water, sodium hydroxide. made a pretty strong solution of tank water and iodine. Soaked for 10 minutes then put back in tank. I won't be home until about 11:00 PM so we shall see then if I just finished it off or started a recovery.

• Like 1

How's the torch doing, Penny? Don't beat yourself up about it, so many people report problems with torches for absolutely no apparent reason, it just seems to be one of those situations where they are really temperamental.

• Like 1
6 minutes ago, teenyreef said:

How's the torch doing, Penny? Don't beat yourself up about it, so many people report problems with torches for absolutely no apparent reason, it just seems to be one of those situations where they are really temperamental.

I've been wondering this as well. 

Torch didn't make it. :tears:. It was such a beautiful specimen. I should have known better than to let it get so much flow. Lesson learned. On a good note, so far all of the new SPS seem to be doing great. Also the toadstool that I literally hacked up is extending polyps and taking a good shape. The frag pieces are also showing some polyp extension.

7 minutes ago, Astinus said:

Sorry to hear that Penny :(

Glad to hear that u do have some rays of sunshine though :)

This. 

It's easy to go through all the "shoulda's" in your head, but we know you did the best you could. 

• Like 2

I'm torn between feeling like this BTA is too big for the tank, I keep having to move things away from it, To loving how beautiful it is. Probably the most stunning thing in the tank right now. Paying no attention to the colors in the foreground, the colors of the BTA and the Hammer are pretty well represented.IMG_3641.thumb.jpg.d080952873463dc3a073948342a78e5c.jpg

• Like 7
  • Pjanssen changed the title to Penny's Lane-A BC29 Journey. Retired