Premium Aquatics Aquarium Supplies

Penny's Lane-A BC29 Journey. Retired

Pjanssen

My Legendary Coral purchased arrived. I have to give them great props for their photography skills. These are really small frags. The Rasta is barely visible to the naked eye! (only a slight exaggeration). That being said, they came packaged beautifully and appear to be healthy. Sitting in the quarantine frag tank under a simple current led light fixture, the colors are not really anything like the photos from legendary. This does not really surprise me all that much. I'm just hoping that in my tank under full spectrum leds they look as good as their pictures. I will try to get individual pictures of them later.

26957326114_888f5f4d7f.jpglegendary coral arrival by Penny, on Flickr

27290179790_f25bac54bf.jpglegendary coral arrival by Penny, on Flickr

27567834515_a2780b1eae.jpglegendary coral arrival by Penny, on Flickr

• Like 2

I have the blueberry merlettis and they're a good grower for me! Started with three heads last August and they're about 20 or so heads now.

• Like 1

I have the blueberry merlettis and they're a good grower for me! Started with three heads last August and they're about 20 or so heads now.

Mine are looking more green. Hopefully it's just the lighting. They looked beautiful on the website

• Like 1

Mine are looking more green. Hopefully it's just the lighting. They looked beautiful on the website

mine have turned more pink than blue but have the green mouths. I have them in fairly high light, but I've never really seen that blue/purple color in them
  • Like 1

One of of my urchins knocked one of my Zoa colonies over again. Upon picking it up I discovered this

26961092284_3f15cb3c35.jpgAcan by Penny, on Flickr

One completely dead head, and the one behind it half dead. They were covered in sand. I'm thinking/hoping the goby buried them and that the rest of the colony is not in distress of any kind. I really hope that the Bryopsis treatment that I am doing is not causing harm. I am having some Alkalinity swings which I know is not good. On a good note, it does look like the Bryopsis is finally dying. But all in all I feel like today was a frustrating day for me and my tank.

One of my new corals, the orange hammer, the best one, is not doing so well. I noticed this morning that I had placed it crazy close to my tube anemone. I guess I didn't think about it because it ( the anemone) was closed up when I put it (the hammer). I'm guessing that that was the problem. I've obviously moved the hammer, but I doubt that it will come back.

those clowns are so cute together!

It could be the increase in mag levels that are stressing your LPS. It's kind of a catch 22 - it's beating the bryo back but it could stress corals.

• Like 1

those clowns are so cute together!

It could be the increase in mag levels that are stressing your LPS. It's kind of a catch 22 - it's beating the bryo back but it could stress corals.

Yes, I did consider the mag levels. I probably should have kept them in quarantine longer. I thought slow drip acclimating would make it okay. All of the other frags seem to be doing okay. Maybe the hammer was more sensitive to it.

• Like 1

Sad day in the Janssen household. Came home from breakfast and found my firefish lying on the sand with very little life left in him. Immediately transferred him to the quarantine tank but sadly he didn't make it. He appeared fine this morning. I fed the tank in anticipation of doing a water change when I got back from breakfast, and I'm pretty sure he ate normally. My remaining fish all seem fine. The only thing I noticed about him before a proper send off was that his mouth was agape. I assume that it's from gasping for oxygen, but I don't know. There were no signs of disease. I never noticed any of the other fish picking on him. Could it be the elevated magnesium levels? Why just him then? At a loss for explanation.

Same thing happened to my purple firefish... he was doing fine and then I noticed the same thing, his mouth was agape, lower jaw was protruding. This lasted a few days and he finally succumbed. By the end, he was unable to eat. I've read that they are susceptible to a mouth fungus which leaves their mouths agape and unable to eat. Not sure if this is what happened in your case, but this was my experience... Sux! :(

But on a good note, My lettuce nudibranch seems to have spawned! I now have three instead of one. Not sure I have enough algae in there to support them. Might have to get some nori or something to feed them.

• Like 2

But on a good note, My lettuce nudibranch seems to have spawned! I now have three instead of one. Not sure I have enough algae in there to support them. Might have to get some nori or something to feed them.

That's really cool!!!

• Like 1

I think I'm down to the final few strands of Bryopsis. Upped the mag levels a little more. Hopefully soon.

27268435233_49ca1540f5_z.jpgIMG_4019 by Penny, on Flickr

But now there's this. BUBBLE ALGAE! Where the heck did this come from? Sigh. Guess i've got to get to LFS for emerald crab.

27268435533_96b2f0de04_z.jpgIMG_4020 by Penny, on Flickr

And worse, appears to be dinoflagellates. UGH! Double sigh.

27268436293_4e9ef8bf72_n.jpgIMG_4022 by Penny, on Flickr27268437283_d09100393d_n.jpgIMG_4023 by Penny, on Flickr

:( Sorry to hear this Penny.

I am glad u posted Pics. U confirmed for me that I have some Bryopsis. Thankfully I do not have a big problem at the moment. I can

try and remove them by tweezers and a toothbrush.

• Pjanssen changed the title to Penny's Lane-A BC29 Journey. Retired