inTank Media Baskets

Penny's Lane-A BC29 Journey. Retired

Pjanssen

Just a little bit about maintenance. I've been doing 20% water changes 2x a week for the past 3 weeks. I change out my filter media every few days, or when I look at it and it looks yucky! I think I finally have my 2 part dialed in: 3ml daily of alkalinity dosed 3x per day to 1ml daily of calcium dosed 2x per day. This is keeping my numbers at 6.7-7.0 Dkh and 410 Ca, which is what my natural seawater is. Going to stat cutting back on water changes to maybe 1x every 5 days.

• Like 3

Did my water change today, and cleaned my return pump. Seem some chaeto had clogged it up and it wasn't putting out as much flow. Move the rhodactis mushrooms up to the rock above/behind the BTA's, as they were attempting to take over a Zoa rock that I have some frags on. I'll have to keep on eye on them for the next couple of days to make sure the Anemones don't bother them.

• Like 1

Oh, and the toadstool is completely dropping the part that is tearing away, I'll have to frag it properly tomorrow. The clown is pretty upset. Looks like she is trying to push it back up to where it belongs. caught her in the torches a couple of times, so maybe she'll just move.

• Sad 1

Using a fresh razor, I cut the remainder of the dangling toadstool off. I had to do it in the tank under water because the stalk is pretty rooted between a couple of rocks. Ended up cutting the piece into 4 small frags. Only thing is is that I don't currently have an extra frag rack, so I had to improvise with an extra media rack that I had!

38538206870_d9c3ff06e4.jpgToadstool frags by Penny, on Flickr

40348153841_775d423a5b.jpgToadstool by Penny, on Flickr

• Like 3
47 minutes ago, Pjanssen said:

The Rhodactis mushrooms that I moved up from the sand seems perfectly happy where they are. I was surprised to see that the one anemone that was in the back actually moved to the front away from the 'shrooms.

40347917051_0e96b5e62d.jpgRhodactis by Penny, on Flickr

Mushrooms can give off some nasties so maybe the nem did not want to deal with that?

• Like 1
38 minutes ago, vlangel said:

Mushrooms can give off some nasties so maybe the nem did not want to deal with that?

Thats why they had to move, they were killing my scans and starting to take over a Zoa rock. I thought the anemone would be able to hold its own though.

• Like 1
2 minutes ago, Pjanssen said:

Thats why they had to move, they were killing my scans and starting to take over a Zoa rock. I thought the anemone would be able to hold its own though.

Maybe those are especially noxious shrooms!

• Like 1
  • 2 weeks later...
  • Pjanssen changed the title to Penny's Lane-A BC29 Journey. New Stand
31 minutes ago, Pjanssen said:

I really need a new stand! Tank is starting to lean and as a result leaking from the top. How long before that top shelf actually collapses and I have a real tank "crash"?:o

Whoa, that sounds scary!

• Like 1
  • Pjanssen changed the title to Penny's Lane-A BC29 Journey. New Stand-Photos added
19 minutes ago, vlangel said:

Whatever you do with it is going to be a huge improvement!

Amen!

Decided on a stain and polyurethane finish. Has 2 coats so far. Want to do one more tomorrow, then will have to wait 24 hours to basically drain the tank and transfer everything over. I'll try to get a picture in the sunlight in the morning.

• Like 3
12 minutes ago, Christopher Marks said:

The new stand looks really nice with the new finish @Pjanssen! I wish the choice to upgrade stands had been your own though, yikes!

Is the big switcharoo going to be tomorrow?

Yes, tomorrow evening after work. I was going to try tonight, but I just checked and the top is still slightly tacky to the touch. I put the third coat of polyurethane on around 9:00 this morning. I probably should wait until Wednesday to switch it over, But once the tank is situated, it won't move so I think I'll be okay with tomorrow night. Not that this is a sudden thing, I've known for quite some time that I need a new stand, but now with the tank actually leaking it is getting worse rapidly. I awoke several times last night with visions of the tank falling to the floor.:scarry:

• Wow 1
  • Pjanssen changed the title to Penny's Lane-A BC29 Journey. Retired