Cultivated Reef

Penny's Lane-A BC29 Journey. Retired

Pjanssen

I Wish I could help u Penny :(  Something chemically? or Light?

Out of curiosity, do U test and adjust Magnesium? (Maybe it needs some "Ions")

I have a Bottle of AquaVitro "Ions".  It Raises Magnesium.  BUT!!!  I rarely use it...Maybe 

Once or twice a month.  Of course I test my Mag level 1st.

I just did a much needed 5 gal wc and I moved our Open Brain a little.  It doesn't look happy ATM.

I just wanted to try an help :) *Ya know, brain storm?*

U and a few others have substantially helped Shar and I along the road :)

U folks are awesome :)

• Like 1
2 minutes ago, Pjanssen said:

Yeah, we all try to help each other out. This forum is awesome. So many helpful non judgmental people.

How true u are!

Honestly, that's what I :wub: about this forum!  No Flaming, per se.  Just good hard solid advice.

And, er, um, well, admonishments, when needed :scarry::P:blush::lol:

• Like 1

I noticed when I was home earlier today that if the drape isn't fully closed on the sliding glass door next to the tank then a stream of light comes through and directly hits the brain. I'm hoping this is the cause of it losing color, as I'm going to move it to the other side of the tank, and try to make sure the drapes get closed in the morning before I leave the house. If anyone has any other thoughts, please do share. Thanks.

• Like 1
55 minutes ago, Pjanssen said:

I noticed when I was home earlier today that if the drape isn't fully closed on the sliding glass door next to the tank then a stream of light comes through and directly hits the brain. I'm hoping this is the cause of it losing color, as I'm going to move it to the other side of the tank, and try to make sure the drapes get closed in the morning before I leave the house. If anyone has any other thoughts, please do share. Thanks.

That could be it - seasonal changes in the position of the sun might have caused it to start shining on the brain when it wasn't in a position to do so before. Nothing else has changed? Still feeding the same amount and exporting the same ways? Do you target feed the brain?

1 hour ago, Pjanssen said:

This is what a 14 1/2 month old does to a feeding syringe given the opportunity!IMG_3738.thumb.jpg.d9c0867e63caeef108fd4a5770f33067.jpg

I had to like this because I a bit older than 14 1/2 months, and I did the same thing. It's actually not a very strong part, just a slight pressure the wrong way will break it.

Just now, teenyreef said:

That could be it - seasonal changes in the position of the sun might have caused it to start shining on the brain when it wasn't in a position to do so before. Nothing else has changed? Still feeding the same amount and exporting the same ways? Do you target feed the brain?

I feed LRS pretty heavy once a week, and yes I target feed the brain, all of my acans, the RFA and the BTA. Well, at least I DID, until my grandson got a hold of my feeder! As far as the sun goes, I guess it is getting higher up in the sky and hitting the tank differently. I usually try to keep the blinds closed, but sometimes they get opened for one reason or another-people do live here after all! Hopefully that's the cause of the problem though, cuz it's easily fixable

• Like 2

Added the one way check valves to the Auto doser lines and mounted the unit on the wall above the tank. Not ideal decor in my family room, but hey, what's more important? Hopefully now I can see exactly what I'm dosing and get it dialed in properly.

Tank is looking good and remaining relatively stable. Alk is sitting at 8.4. Want to dial that up to around 9. Ca is a little high around 160-170. Would like to get that down to 120-140.

Thought I saw a little branch of Bryo on my frag rack. could of been something else, I'm not sure. Dosed some vibrant and it was gone in a day. My scarlet hermit was hanging around the area, so maybe she took care of it.

New SPS look the same. Purchased a magnetic frag rack so that I can move them up little by little.

Hammer, BTA, and toadstool are still out of control. I'm torn as to what to do with them because I love them but they take up so much room.

• Like 3
fishfreak0114

Just read the entire thread and I love your tank! :)  That large hammer is so fantastic looking! :wub: It's great that despite all the pests, you've prevailed.  Sorry to hear about your brain bleaching, I agree that it may be the sunlight.  My tank gets sunlight every morning, so the corals are used to it now, but I suppose if they don't normally it could be rather stressful.

• Like 1
2 hours ago, fishfreak0114 said:

Just read the entire thread and I love your tank! :)  That large hammer is so fantastic looking! :wub: It's great that despite all the pests, you've prevailed.  Sorry to hear about your brain bleaching, I agree that it may be the sunlight.  My tank gets sunlight every morning, so the corals are used to it now, but I suppose if they don't normally it could be rather stressful.

Thanks for looking. I've definitely had my ups and downs. I've definitely learned a lot, unfortunately at the expense of livestock. I feel like I'm still such a grasshopper in the aquarium world! I think my brain (coral!) will be okay, as I think I caught it pretty early.

• Like 2

So I just did a water change and major clean up cuz I didn't get a chance to do it before I left for the frag swap. I also took a chance and fragged my toadstool. I hope I didn't kill it! Also moved my Zoa rock to make room for new SPS later. Also trimmed some xenia of a rock while in the tank and it did not go quite as planned. I'll probably end up with little colonies of the stuff all over the tank :rant:. New frags are acclimating.

• Like 4

Pictures aren't great, and of course they aren't open and under the best light yet, but here goes-4 new corals:

This first one I was surprised that I bought because I want to start getting more SPS. But I just couldn't pass up on this beautiful Australian gold torch. I hope it looks as good in my tank as it did in the sellers.

33417656230_dcf382be27.jpgIMG_3758 by Penny, on Flickr

This is an acro that I didn't get the name of. The vendor actually gave it to me when I was talking about being new to SPS. He didn't want me to spend a lot on something to test the waters. Seriously, who does that? Wow!

33417657610_d43998d34a.jpgIMG_3750 by Penny, on Flickr

• Like 5

And because I then felt like I had to buy something from the guy, I started to talk to him about a pretty little colony of acans. You know how much I love acans! So he said "honestly, they're pretty cheap, I just want to get rid of them-not into acans (gasp). $20. Can you believe that? about 10-12 heads for $20!!

33417657280_c86441299d.jpgIMG_3753 by Penny, on Flickr

• Like 6

And while I was talking to another vendor about about something they had called purple smoke, I hear my husband yell out from across the room. "PEN, WE WON SOMETHING!" So I go over to check it out. We won $50 in a raffle to use at any of the vendors there. So I go back to the guy that gave me the first acro, and picked up the one that I drew to him in the 1st place. It's not an Oregon Tort, but a Cali.

33417656790_86fe628452.jpgIMG_3755 by Penny, on Flickr

Oh Lord, and my fellow reefers, help me keep this thing alive!

• Like 5

Local frag swaps are the best! Those acans look really sweet, and cali tort is one of my favorites. The first one looks a little bit like a Mr. Pacman acro but it's hard to tell. 

• Like 1

FiveO FiveO somebody call the Po Po! My poor clown is swimming around the recently deduced toadstool like WTF happened to my home? When I came near the tank, she actually came towards me and looked pleadingly at me. "PLEASE, bring my home back!" Well, maybe really she just wants food, but...

• Like 2
36 minutes ago, Pjanssen said:

FiveO FiveO somebody call the Po Po! My poor clown is swimming around the recently deduced toadstool like WTF happened to my home? When I came near the tank, she actually came towards me and looked pleadingly at me. "PLEASE, bring my home back!" Well, maybe really she just wants food, but...

:lol: the good news is it's almost impossible to get clowns to move once they've found something they like.

• Like 1

I tested my Nitrates and Phosphates this morning, which honestly I hardly ever do but now that I'm trying to keep some SPS I figured I better start. Results are PO4 0-0.03. I think this is good, but maybe too low? And PO3 10-25 (I hate trying to compare color charts) . I feel this is high, but I don't know. Please advise. thanks :)

• Like 1
  • Pjanssen changed the title to Penny's Lane-A BC29 Journey. Retired