SaltCritters.com

Penny's Lane-A BC29 Journey. Retired

Pjanssen

Current happenings in my tank...The Diamond Goby didn't make it. Just disappeared. Hubby thinks he burrowed and crushed himself. More likely he died and clean up crew did it's job quickly and efficiently. Duncan got all but buried under the massively ever growing Hammer (What am I going to do with that thing? I sell off about 15-20 heads bi-monthly! Which is how I was able to justify spending $120. on a coral that I don't even really know the name of!), So I moved it (the Duncan) to an empty spot on the other side of the tank and it is once again doing well. Everything but my trumpets and merletti are doing great.

On the down side-Bryopsis and lettuce algae! ARE YOU KIDDING ME? :rant: If total tear down and peroxide scrubbing didn't work, then I'm at a loss. For now it's jut manual removal and frequent water changes to try to stay ahead of it.

• Like 1

Current happenings in my tank...The Diamond Goby didn't make it. Just disappeared. Hubby thinks he burrowed and crushed himself. More likely he died and clean up crew did it's job quickly and efficiently. Duncan got all but buried under the massively ever growing Hammer (What am I going to do with that thing? I sell off about 15-20 heads bi-monthly! Which is how I was able to justify spending $120. on a coral that I don't even really know the name of!), So I moved it (the Duncan) to an empty spot on the other side of the tank and it is once again doing well. Everything but my trumpets and merletti are doing great.

On the down side-Bryopsis and lettuce algae! ARE YOU KIDDING ME? :rant: If total tear down and peroxide scrubbing didn't work, then I'm at a loss. For now it's jut manual removal and frequent water changes to try to stay ahead of it.

Damn! I DO wish u well in trying to keep that chit under control.

I am starting to gain control of my medium issue with GHA. I also have Lettuce. OH! and some Aiptasia!

Ur not alone in the battle Penny!

Coral looks nice whatever it is :lol:

I had lettuce algae in my 40 and not sure what eats it but they keep it under check really well. I had a few rocks in a breeder box and it started growing on those as nothing could get to them......so that tells me its still in my tank :rolleyes: the stuff sucks......

• Like 1

I don't know at all what the coral is, kinda looks mushroomy but I've never seen anything like it either.

definitely not a mushroom, Looks a lot like a lobo, but not quite. i don't really care as long as I care for it properly. It's so pretty.

Coral looks nice whatever it is :lol:

I had lettuce algae in my 40 and not sure what eats it but they keep it under check really well. I had a few rocks in a breeder box and it started growing on those as nothing could get to them......so that tells me its still in my tank :rolleyes: the stuff sucks......

Thanks on the coral compliment-my most expensive coral purchase to date.

Yeah, lettuce algae sucks! Almost as much as bryopsis!

Looks like a deformed scoly.

That is a possibility

• Like 1
  • 4 weeks later...

FTS28178087143_8713c3d8f1.jpgFTS 080516 by Penny, on FlickrPipe organ. Suppose to be white, But...28688316612_3a8e003640.jpgIMG_3352 by Penny, on FlickrTorch28178038473_3dd1e1686c.jpgIMG_3350 by Penny, on FlickrRFA28178037893_6090346b71.jpgIMG_3349 by Penny, on Flickr28178037043_cbedca8cbd.jpgIMG_3344 by Penny, on FlickrOctospawn28178037543_4712057f0c.jpgIMG_3347 by Penny, on FlickrHammer28178036683_551d9301e6.jpgIMG_3341 by Penny, on Flickr28508821330_059b7a5340.jpgIMG_3331 by Penny, on Flickr

I really like the way your tank looks. You have a very pleasing aquascape in my opinion and your coral look happy and healthy.

• Like 1

I really like the way your tank looks. You have a very pleasing aquascape in my opinion and your coral look happy and healthy.

Thanks for stopping by, and for the compliment. For the most part I am happy with my aquascape, and corals are doing pretty well I think. Still looking to add a few pieces. Maybe a yellow fiji leather or finger leather. Having some issues with some sort of diatoms or cyan or dinos or something right now. I guess if it's not one thing it's another. Also, looking forward to your pony upgrade

• Like 2

Thanks for stopping by, and for the compliment. For the most part I am happy with my aquascape, and corals are doing pretty well I think. Still looking to add a few pieces. Maybe a yellow fiji leather or finger leather. Having some issues with some sort of diatoms or cyan or dinos or something right now. I guess if it's not one thing it's another. Also, looking forward to your pony upgrade

Yes, I too am struggling with cyano or diatoms. It seems like a lot of us are. Mine is not out of control but its not improving either. I would be lying if I did not confess that this upgrade is in part due to that. Hang in there, I know they can be discouraging. Have you tried lights out for 3 days or chemi-pure? Orangutran had success with chemi-pure. I have also used it in the past with good results. I have read a few post over the years that it really caused havoc however. For that reason I would try the lights out first. Anyway, I wish you success in ridding your tank of it.

• Like 1

I QUIT! (hands thrown up in the air, deep sigh of exasperation). ditoms, dinos, IDK-I'm dealing with that. Bryopsis back with a vengeance. Thought I just had a few strands that I tried to remove as I saw them. I think that made it spread. It's growing in places you can't even see. I was just thinking about a lights out regime, but this stuff is growing in the darkest places of my tank so I don't think total darkness would affect it. Arrrrgggg (pulling hair out!)! What's a reefer to do? I'm open for suggestions.

Would it e cruel to not feed the tank for a week so that the snails don't have anything else to eat but the assorted algae?

No, but I'm not optimistic that it will make a difference.

I feel for you. It's so hard to come back from all that; and you think to yourself, who has the time to deal with it all. Believe me, I've been there.

You know the regiment. All of it can help (and I believe it's possible to get past it), but if you leave an opening, it will return.

I'd be tempted to get some new rock and cure it separately. And if you have the resources, setup a quarantine tank. Frag unaffected coral and move them to the quarantine tank to observer and treat. You might have to sacrifice some coral. Then you can move things back to your cleaned tank with the new rock.

If you can't setup a QT, you could still frag unaffected coral and remove everything else (but you risk pests spreading onto the new rock too). You could try to save the affected coral in another container with lights out, and with harsh treatments (treating everything in this container as lost, but still trying to save it).

I don't like recommending this course of action, but I'm at a loss too.

• Like 1

I feel for you. It's so hard to come back from all that; and you think to yourself, who has the time to deal with it all. Believe me, I've been there.

tried to embed a GIF for this response, but being a computer dumbass i couldn't make it happen.so..."Ain't nobody got time for dat!"

I'd be tempted to get some new rock and cure it separately. And if you have the resources, setup a quarantine tank. Frag unaffected coral and move them to the quarantine tank to observer and treat. You might have to sacrifice some coral. Then you can move things back to your cleaned tank with the new rock.

If you can't setup a QT, you could still frag unaffected coral and remove everything else (but you risk pests spreading onto the new rock too). You could try to save the affected coral in another container with lights out, and with harsh treatments (treating everything in this container as lost, but still trying to save it).

I don't like recommending this course of action, but I'm at a loss too.

I've actually considered this option. Wouldn't that be like starting over? Cycle and all that?

Yeah, you would "cycle" the new rock separately. Then you can add clean specimens to the tank with new rock. But without a QT, there is a risk that something will transfer to the new setup.

You wouldn't necessarily need to throw out the old rock, but I'd probably bleach them clean and dry them out.

hmmmm. maybe. would be costly to replace 20-30 pounds of live rock. I do have a qt set up that just has a few corals that I don't really like and don't fit well in the tank-(trying to decide what I want to do with them). I would definitely lose a colony of pink long lash zoas that I'm fond of, but the bryo is smothering them anyway. what to do, what to do.

Just added 5, yes 5, mexican turbos and 10 blue leg hermits. I'll give them a few days to see if they even touch it. If not it might be time for new rock. Damn. Thought replacing the sand and scraping all the rock would have worked!

• Like 1
  • Pjanssen changed the title to Penny's Lane-A BC29 Journey. Retired