Innovative Marine Aquariums

Penny's Lane-A BC29 Journey. Retired

Pjanssen

1 hour ago, jack1978 said:

Tank looks great!

I didn't read back ........ well, I started to but didn't finish, lol.

Do you dose this thing or just wc? 

Thanks.

I don't blame you for not looking back. Lots of boring stuff. But thanks for stopping in

I dose EVS 2 part, not much, I think its only 3-4 ml of each per day. And I recently started dosing Aminos.

• Like 3

WTF is going on with my water these days. Just tested Alkalinity and it's own to 4.6!! I thought "this CAN'T be right, so I tested again with the same result. I tested it 1 week ago and it was 8.0-exactly where I want it. So i checked the doser, and sure enough the tip of the valve was clogged with precipitation. Everything is finally looking amazing and I pray that this won't be a setback. AAAAACCCCKKKK!

• Sad 1
  • Wow 2

Alk still at 5.4 this morning. Ca remains steady at 420. Plan to dose 1/4 tsp today, but since I am home today will add it in increments throughout the day. Tank still looks amazing to me and I don't see any signs of stress on any of the corals but will stay diligent at looking for change while I get things back on track. 

• Like 2

I am a bad girl, or at least a bad reefer. I made the mistake of taking my 3 year old grandson to the LFS to get water today, and he fell in love with the engineer gobies that they had there. So I not only broke my self imposed rule of no more fish in this tank (although I was contemplating adding an eel of some kind while I decide if I want to set up a predator tank), but I added not one but two engineer gobies to the tank. 

PA020566.thumb.jpeg.cb063ce0e815958bd6320c5126829aa9.jpeg

PA020569.thumb.jpeg.6574d7c2421ce261c3c9a79590f3ccd1.jpeg

• Like 3
  • Wow 3
1 hour ago, Pjanssen said:

I am a bad girl, or at least a bad reefer. I made the mistake of taking my 3 year old grandson to the LFS to get water today, and he fell in love with the engineer gobies that they had there. So I not only broke my self imposed rule of no more fish in this tank (although I was contemplating adding an eel of some kind while I decide if I want to set up a predator tank), but I added not one but two engineer gobies to the tank. 

They are so cool. I was just watching a video about them the other day. 

• Like 4

Oh, they are so pretty! Here's hoping they settle down quickly in here. I know you've got the 3-fish rule going on, but I think these guys stand a fairly good chance of doing well. I feel like a setup of this size should be able to accommodate them.

EDIT: apparently they get way bigger than I thought, so I no longer know how I feel about my statement above! 😅

• Like 2
32 minutes ago, billygoat said:

Oh, they are so pretty! Here's hoping they settle down quickly in here. I know you've got the 3-fish rule going on, but I think these guys stand a fairly good chance of doing well. I feel like a setup of this size should be able to accommodate them.

Thanks. I hope they work out. They are kind of eel like. So far it doesn't look like the clowns or the hawkfish are going to bother them, except when one of them went near the clowns toadstool. Boundries!

• Like 2
7 hours ago, Pjanssen said:

Gorgeous additions. I love following your threads. I can see all my stocking ideas and how they pan out

• Thanks 1

The gobies didn't come up for pellets this morning, so I tried squirting some LRS down to them. The clowns and Hawkeye are such pigs though that they went wherever I was feeding, even when there was still some food in another area. I did see the gobies picking stuff up off of the sand after feeding frenzy was over, so I think they got some food into them. Hopefully its just a matter of everybody getting use to each other

• Like 4
11 hours ago, Pjanssen said:

I added not one but two engineer gobies to the tank. 

These guys are so cool! I've always wanted a couple. Please keep us updated on how they do!

10 hours ago, billygoat said:

I feel like a setup of this size should be able to accommodate them.

Ihate to be a debbie downer, but aren't they recommend for tanks at least 50 gallons?

• Like 4
7 minutes ago, kimberbee said:

I hate to be a debbie downer, but aren't they recommend for tanks at least 50 gallons?

I have read the same but wondered whether the free swimming space would be more important than volume?

6 minutes ago, Ratvan said:

I have read the same but wondered whether the free swimming space would be more important than volume?

I've seen that they can potentially get 18+ inches long and they like to dig around in the sand under the rocks. I fogured the large tank size is more for roaming/digging once they get older. 

• Like 4
51 minutes ago, kimberbee said:

I've seen that they can potentially get 18+ inches long and they like to dig around in the sand under the rocks. I fogured the large tank size is more for roaming/digging once they get older. 

18 inches, that's crazy! :ninja: For some reason I thought they stayed much smaller than that. I'm not sure how much actual burrowing engineer gobies do, but if they're anything like jawfish you should be aware of the possibility of them undermining your rocks and causing them to shift. One of my rocks sunk about an inch into the sand as a result of my jawfish's excavations.

• Like 2

Stolen from LiveAquaria's stocklist:

90612854_engineergoby.PNG.3d6d13a7446a260765bcec1e407c43e8.PNG

Sure enough, I stand super corrected! Thanks for setting me straight @kimberbee😂

Well! Maybe you can rehome them once they get... enormous? I have to imagine that if they are active burrowers they will move a lot of sand once they get to a decent size, so hopefully that won't become too destructive.

• Like 2
  • Wow 1
  • Thanks 1

Not that I completely trust my LFS guy, but he said that while they like to hang out on or near the substrate he didn't think they actually burrow like a jawfish would. I knew that they are recommended for a larger tank, but I am planning to upgrade to a larger system and I think they will be ok in here for the size that they are now. The challenge now is getting them to go after their fair share of food, and not let the 3 little pigs take it all away. I have a feeling that I will end up over feeding the tank for a little while to ensure that they get fed.  Oh well, whats another water change here or there?

• Like 5

Not that I completely trust my LFS guy, but he said that while they like to hang out on or near the substrate he didn't think they actually burrow like a jawfish would. I knew that they are recommended for a larger tank, but I am planning to upgrade to a larger system and I think they will be ok in here for the size that they are now. 

I figured you had a plan!

I hope they do great for you!

• Like 4

Not that I completely trust my LFS guy, but he said that while they like to hang out on or near the substrate he didn't think they actually burrow like a jawfish would. I knew that they are recommended for a larger tank, but I am planning to upgrade to a larger system and I think they will be ok in here for the size that they are now. The challenge now is getting them to go after their fair share of food, and not let the 3 little pigs take it all away. I have a feeling that I will end up over feeding the tank for a little while to ensure that they get fed.  Oh well, whats another water change here or there?

The three little pigs could become lunch for the gobies.  

• Haha 2
  • Wow 2

tonight during feeding, one of the gobies came out of his hole and ate from the feeding syringe and held his own against Hawkey. The other is a little more timid, but I made sure he got some food by squirting it into his hole.

• Like 3
7 hours ago, Pjanssen said:

Those things will excavate like mini backhoes, lol.  At least the few that I have seen.  They are definitely cool!

• Like 1
  • Wow 1
  • Pjanssen changed the title to Penny's Lane-A BC29 Journey. Retired