Pod Your Reef

Penny's Lane-A BC29 Journey. Retired

Pjanssen

Just got an order from gulf coast eco systems (https://www.live-plants.com/index.htm). Adding come calciferous macros to this tank, as well as a bit of various culepura to try to help with nutrient export. They sent so much, I've got to dedicate a full day I think just to try to get it into the tank nicely.

IMG_1326.thumb.jpeg.6c7a9286a6f40e407591d5e986d0ac3a.jpeg

Will get a pic up when it's all done-hopefully tomorrow afternoon.

• Like 2

Thank you

im not familiar with the Nuvo 20, but I would not run a tank without an auto too off system.  Depending on what you plan to put in it, a doser will help simplify your life. I don’t have a skimmer and rely solely on water changes for nutrient export. As far as pumps and power heads go, it really depends on what you put in it, same for lighting. Hope this helps

• Like 1

:tears: I murdered my lawnmower blenny...During routine maintenance I took the media rack out and over to the kitchen sink to clean it. Took the filter floss out, took the carbon bag out and started running hot water through it. Several seconds later I noticed the fish flailing, barely. I was too late. How the heck he got inside the media rack I'll never know. Guess he jumped into the back chamber at some point, but he is/was so much bigger than the holes in the rack. :tears::tears:

• Sad 6
  • 1 month later...

Celebrated 33 years together with hubby yesterday. Today he surprised me by letting me buy 2 new corals when we went to the LFS for water!

We've been missing the BTA, so here is another one. It was definitely more rose colored in the store, so I need to play around with my lighting to see if I can replicate it.

PA180236.thumb.jpeg.3a43c0b09c946411c6ec8eb0e02dd885.jpeg

And a little maxi mini carpet anemone that came with a free Rhodactic 'shroom attached to the rock. Could't get a picture because it's on the other side of the rock and I didn't think to take the shot before I placed it in the tank.PA180256.thumb.jpeg.e7ed8aba7c5ed2dcf9929d0c9cff0ba4.jpeg

• Like 7

And speaking of Utter Chaos. I'm battling some pretty serious algae issues again/still. Some kind of turf algae. IDK

PA180245.thumb.jpeg.6004f73dda95ddae66b3221bbdd76d6d.jpeg

And Bubble algae everywhere. Can't really get a good shot of it. Added 2 emerald crabs today. Hopefully they will go to town on all of it.

PA180250.thumb.jpeg.d9c9059473934de7368fb26221d19c05.jpeg

• Like 3
  • Pjanssen changed the title to Penny's Lane-A BC29 Journey. FTS Oct.2020
36 minutes ago, debbeach13 said:

Your tank looks like a "Happy Place".

Thanks. Except for the algae issues, it's doing pretty well. Clowns aren't too "happy" right now because I moved the torch that they were living in to a different spot. They seem a little confused. :haha: 

• Like 1
  • Haha 2
On 10/18/2020 at 3:09 PM, Pjanssen said:

Celebrated 33 years together with hubby yesterday.

CONGRATULATIONS!  That's awesome.

15 hours ago, Pjanssen said:

Except for the algae issues, it's doing pretty well.

Your tank looks great.  I finally got sick of fighting algae issues as well; check out my Vibrant thread.  I'm only three weeks into it, but I believe that I might be starting to see some effects.  It's still too soon to recommend it; I anticipate that it will take a couple more months to clear it all.

• Like 1
5 hours ago, seabass said:

Your tank looks great.  I finally got sick of fighting algae issues as well; check out my Vibrant thread.  I'm only three weeks into it, but I believe that I might be starting to see some effects.  It's still too soon to recommend it; I anticipate that it will take a couple more months to clear it all.

I had success with vibrant a few years ago with some Bryopsis. Was thinking of trying it again for the turf algae. Don't think it would work on the bubble, but hopefully the crabs will take care of that.

Actually, people have had great success with bubble algae in less than ten doses of Vibrant.  Being as big of a pain as it is, I would have thought otherwise too.

Only problem is, without algae to eat, crabs will try to find a meal elsewhere (being the opportunistic feeders that they are).  However, some pellets should suit them just fine.

• Like 1
38 minutes ago, seabass said:

Actually, people have had great success with bubble algae in less than ten doses of Vibrant.  Being as big of a pain as it is, I would have thought otherwise too.

Only problem is, without algae to eat, crabs will try to find a meal elsewhere (being the opportunistic feeders that they are).  However, some pellets should suit them just fine.

I really thought The crabs would have had more of an impact on the bubble algae at this point. I was so excited when I saw one of them eating it, but he seems to have left the patch after eating just one or two bubbles. 

I'll keep macros in the tank for them to eat if I feel they are attacking any corals. Sometimes I think a FOWLR is the way to go.

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

Did a water change.

Took macro algae out.

Removed bubble algae from back wall, hopefully without breaking any open. couldn't get to the bubbles on the rocks.

Pulled as much of the turf algae off as I could, again hopefully not releasing a bunch of spores into the tank. 

Dosed 2mm Vibrant.

Thinned out turf algae

IMG_1463.thumb.jpeg.fa0015ddec651fa5da82dcd96f4dba47.jpeg

Plan to manually remove turf algae as it weakens.

Dose 2mm Vibrant 1x a week for 3 weeks, then switch to 1.5 mm 2x a week for 3 weeks. If necessary dose 2 mm 2x a week until gone.

• Like 3
  • Pjanssen changed the title to Penny's Lane-A BC29 Journey. Retired