Premium Aquatics Aquarium Supplies

Penny's Lane-A BC29 Journey. Retired

Pjanssen

2 hours ago, billygoat said:

Everything looks super great Penny! I am glad you decided not to frag the big monti cap. It's so huge and beautiful. 🥰

But if I could safely cut around it would be more balanced. No?

IMG_0717.thumb.jpeg.da69cc8f47acbb188c89fffffe087b77.jpeg

• Like 2
1 hour ago, seabass said:

It's gorgeous, but I'd probably cut it (although it will likely break where you don't want it to).  However, it will heal up just fine.

Do you think something like a dremel would allow me to cut it cleanly exactly where I want it?

• Like 1
9 hours ago, Pjanssen said:

Do you think something like a dremel would allow me to cut it cleanly exactly where I want it?

A Dremel would provide a more controlled cut; but it will probably take longer, and the coral will likely slime up a lot more.  If you use a tile cutting blade (and some eye protection), It would probably be alright.

Alternatively, you could just make quick breaks by snapping off the pieces which overhang the most.  But like I suggested, the breaks would be largely uncontrolled.  However, it could be done underwater.

You could even trim off jagged edges with a pair of stainless steel bone cutters.  However, the less you mess with it, the better off it will be.

• Like 2
3 hours ago, Ratvan said:

Do you still have the Engineers in here? 

Yes. They come out to eat, and they come out in the evenings when we are sitting on the couch. But if I get up to try to take a photo then they dart back into their holes. I should set up a tripod ands a remote to try to get a shot.

• Like 3
On 4/7/2013 at 11:16 PM, Pjanssen said:

October 14,2019

PA140031.thumb.jpeg.5b39f5029394f2a0a8de7336ed98216a.jpeg

August 3,2019

_8030100.thumb.jpeg.d97c02624bc0c4d2a67f0380d8352e1c.jpeg

FTS 6/1/19

P1010074.jpeg.f4e029057b3c5dc7875baa83d30cd85d.jpeg

FTS 04/08/18

IMG_4083.thumb.jpg.3f9f945cd44ee5cf5df0f69bcfcb1521.jpg

FTS-03/19/17

IMG_3705.thumb.jpg.8a2d04a9997b4f7ff9392129573b75c9.jpg

IMG_3706.thumb.jpg.83f0bde87e2e63eb9d2926fb4aa39e6b.jpg

FTS-06/30/16

27148824752_0836605830_c.jpgIMG_3284 by Penny, on Flickr

SO I've been meaning to start this since last october, but life sometimes gets in the way...

But here it goes. Yes, my name is Penny, and this is my journey down what I hope to be a long and beautiful journey (lane), twists and turns and all!

After trying, mostly unsuccessfully, to build and manage a 5 gallon "scuba" tank that was a gift from hubby, (because we/are into scuba diving), I begged for a larger tank. last October he delivered for my birthday a BC 29. Yay!

I've re-tweaked the rock/aquascape several times over the last few months and come up with the following.

file-22.jpg

This is the most recent full tank shot. Let me know if you think I should post older photos, or just move forward from here.

Following is a list of what I currently have:

BC29 with stock lighting- one actinic blue CPF, and one 10,000K white (I think)

Added led's- 2 blue and two white strips. getting ready to switch to all blues.

about 22 lbs live rock. since I've added and removed a few times over the last couple of months, I'm not really sure.

Fiji pink sand. It's not really pink, and they should'nt really call it so!

Stock pump (?)

Koralia 450 power head

Coralife 1/10 hp aqua chiller set at 76

Current Livestock:

Fish:

Percula Clown

Black and gold damsel- mostly black now. Much prettier as a juvenile.

Diademma basselette.

Inverts:

Cleaner shrimp

Blood red shrimp

Assorted snails

1 blue legged hermit that snuck in with the ceriths

fuzzy chiton (I think that's what its called)

2 little sea urchins

Corals:

vice zoas from Aquascapers

2 red mushrooms-from 5 gallon tank

Ricordea Florida from Aquascapers- Currently not doing so great.

Red Gorgonia

Sinularia (spaghetti Leather)

Flower anemone from Aquascapers.

Acans- dubbed Elmer Fudd after devouring my hare.

2 frogspawns

1 hammer with 5 heads- recently purchsed from PBMAS frag swap

ORA neon finger

pulsating xenia- my oldest coral, transfered from the 5 gallon

montipora- recently purchsed from PBMAS frag swap

I currently dose 2x a week natureef 2 part calcium/alkalinity to keep caalcium around 440, and dKh around 8.4. There have been some ups and downs with this, as I had inadequate test kits (API). I have since switched to salifret , getting what I believe to be be much more accurate readings.

I do a 2 gallon water change once a week, more if I am having a problem(Like Algae, cyno, dinos...I've had it all!). And Change the filter floss 2-3 times a week.

I have a media basket from InTank, and run carbon and phosban

I also have a makeshift refugium with Chaeto

The fish get fed pellets most mornings, but sometimes they don't

Corals get fed Mysis and Cyclopese once a week

I also add DT's live phytoplankton, diluted in salt water 3x week.

Occasionally, I'll feed fresh seafood that we have for dinner I.e. fresh claims, mussels, fish, shrimp, etc. making sure I do a water change the next day.

I'm sure I'm missing something, the problem with trying to put 6 months worth of stuff into one hour.

file-31.jpg

Sinularia

file-29.jpg

file-28.jpg

file-27.jpg

Gorgonia

file-23.jpg

Acans

file-25.jpg

Elmer Fudd devouring Buggs.

file-21.jpg

Hope you enjoy my journey. Feel free to add comments, suggestions, criticism, etc. I'm a big girl, I can handle it! I hope to always grow and learn from my fellow reefers, most of whom probably have waaaaaaaaaay more experience and knowledge than I do.

Your hammer is gorgeous !! And your tank incredible.  Florida must have a great resources for coral.  Im jealous.

• Like 2

water change today. Most things look good, except for the toad.

IMG_0750.thumb.jpeg.c72d64968394f5dd47072f6e51137c43.jpeg

It seems to be ripping itself apart. I think I should go ahead and trim off all of the parts that are tearing away. It's also way too tall again. I want to cut it down again, but that should probably wait until it heals from whatever its going through right now.

• Like 1

Also noticed a few little tufts of some kind of algae, including one single bible algae. The bubble algae is easy enough to get out, but for now Im going to leave the other and just keep an eye on it and hope that the return to regular water changes will keep it at bay.

• Like 2
  • 3 weeks later...

IMG_0798.thumb.jpeg.a5891093e453d7d957496b62e3c64b8f.jpeg

Not a great shot-I cannot get my glass clean (Man, I need a new tank!). I took the toad out, and I'm not sure if I like it better with or without it. Definitely leave a hole. Not  sure what's going on with all of that calcium precipitation on the back wall. guess I should investigate.

• Like 5

My Tunze nano seems to have gone kaput. I think I've had it 5-6 years without too many issues, so I'm not opposed to getting another of the same. I have a Smart ATO in my IM14 and like that one a lot too. Also considering getting a bigger one in anticipation of my larger tank up grade. Anybody have any opinions one way or another about ATO's? For now it's back to old school manual top offs until I can decide.

Also, my return pump decided to short out and electrocute me today, so I had to get a new one. LFS only had MaxJets that would fit in my chamber, so thats a little disappointing, but I traded in my toadstool and they gave me 20 dollars credit for it so the pump only cost me 10. Will probably upgrade to a Sicce 1.5 when I decide on an ATO, and just get everything at once. 

• Like 1
On 3/2/2020 at 5:03 PM, Pjanssen said:

IMG_0798.thumb.jpeg.a5891093e453d7d957496b62e3c64b8f.jpeg

Not a great shot-I cannot get my glass clean (Man, I need a new tank!). I took the toad out, and I'm not sure if I like it better with or without it. Definitely leave a hole. Not  sure what's going on with all of that calcium precipitation on the back wall. guess I should investigate.

Tank looks great!  

• Thanks 1
On 3/2/2020 at 5:03 PM, Pjanssen said:

The white dots on the back look to me like Spirorbid worms. Totally harmless filter feeders, but some reefers don't like the way they look. I remove them from the back wall of my tank with a plastic algae scraper. They should come off easily enough with a bit of elbow grease.

Tank looks great though! What size are you thinking about upgrading to?

• Like 3
  • 1 month later...
On 3/9/2020 at 5:48 PM, billygoat said:

The white dots on the back look to me like Spirorbid worms. Totally harmless filter feeders, but some reefers don't like the way they look. I remove them from the back wall of my tank with a plastic algae scraper. They should come off easily enough with a bit of elbow grease.

Tank looks great though! What size are you thinking about upgrading to?

This is sad. Sorry @billygoat that I didn't respond to this sooner, thats how long it's been since I've been on my own thread 😅. I hadn't considered Spirobids. Anyway, I generally leave the back wall alone, as it's covered in Coraline. The white spots seem to have taken care of themselves. Tank is looking surprisingly good for the lack of attention it gets. I'd like to upgrade to something in the 50-65 gallon range. Been talking about it for years, but something always comes up to put it on the back burner, i.e. new AC, injured dog, Covid-19 (jobless), etc.

• Like 4

Doing some tank maintenance today. Tested Calcium and Alk before and since I've been slack and haven't done it in awhile. I was unpleasantly surprised to see my Alk above 12 and my Calcium above 500-I've always had to work to keep them up around 8 and 420.

Last month I switched from ESV 2 part to Seachem 2 part because I ran out and that's what the LFS had. I know I should have stayed more on top of testing using a new product. I have no excuse.But, I don't see any problems in the tank inhabitants, so I guess all is good. I dialed the doser down 20% on each substance, going from 10 ml of each per day to 8.

Just did a water change. will try to get some pics later when everything settles down.

• Like 2
3 hours ago, Pjanssen said:

This is sad. Sorry @billygoat that I didn't respond to this sooner, thats how long it's been since I've been on my own thread 😅. I hadn't considered Spirobids. Anyway, I generally leave the back wall alone, as it's covered in Coraline. The white spots seem to have taken care of themselves. Tank is looking surprisingly good for the lack of attention it gets. I'd like to upgrade to something in the 50-65 gallon range. Been talking about it for years, but something always comes up to put it on the back burner, i.e. new AC, injured dog, Covid-19 (jobless), etc.

No worries! I know how it goes with the journal... I read a lot of threads here on N-R, sometimes to the point that I forget to update my own! I know how you feel about the upgrade too. Innovative Marine was having a sale on their AIO systems, including the Nuvo 40 that I have my eye on, but I had to pass on it due to financial circumstances. Like you said, it's always something!

Anyway I am glad to hear that the tank is still doing well. Hopefully the temporary increase in alkalinity won't cause any long-term problems. 🤞

• Like 1
5 hours ago, Pjanssen said:

Just did a water change. will try to get some pics later when everything settles down.

3 hours ago, jack1978 said:

Things haven’t settled down yet?

1 hour ago, Pjanssen said:

You’ll have to be more specific on “things”🤪

45 minutes ago, jack1978 said:

“everything” 

😁

You’re killing me kid! 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

So some current photos:

New Pink Hippos- They had a whole colony reasonably priced around $300, but I decided I wanted to make sure I could keep them alive before investing that much, so 2 polyps for $40-OUTRAGEOUS!

P1010003.thumb.jpeg.414de91d12bac786932b3f0dffd0d2f7.jpeg

Other Zoas doing well, including LA Lakers, blue hornets, and other no names

P1010004.thumb.jpeg.6d5bd1f62d755ebf801a00120be8f23e.jpeg

and a little cyano 

The clowns are spending a lot more time together. I guess after a few years you gotta just love the one your with

P1010007.thumb.jpeg.4cb3fdcc7d2f333ffdda42485f28f216.jpegP1010006.thumb.jpeg.ff0b81cb32a8f3604cf71d539651fc68.jpeg

Of corse Hawkey

P1010009.jpeg

• Like 3
  • Wow 1
  • Pjanssen changed the title to Penny's Lane-A BC29 Journey. Retired