Coral Vue Hydros

Penny's Lane-A BC29 Journey. Retired

Pjanssen

found this when I trimmed/fragged the green monti and wondering what it is. At first I thought it was some kind of algae, but it is pretty gelatinous, but not slimy, and holds it shape fairly well. under the lights it is pink. I'm thinking maybe a baby Rhodactis mushroom. Any thoughts? Again sorry for the bad photos. Really disappointed in the iPhone 11 camera. Need to pull out the DSLR

IMG_0581.jpeg.b39cfe042d0a9feb1097071b44b77547.jpegIMG_0580.thumb.jpeg.fda308f87508cb310fb7aeb767db1212.jpeg

Nice updates! Glad to see this tank is still trucking along. The holidays are often the most difficult time for many reefers, as shipping is risky with cold weather and most people go on vacation and leave their aquariums untended for a bit. Yours seems to be looking great though! 👌

Very small mushrooms that are produced by pedal laceration often start out as shapeless blobs much like the one you photographed above. So that could be it? It's hard to tell for sure though. As long as you don't think it's anything evil, I would put it in a visible spot and see what it turns into!

Also how are the engineer gobies doing? Do you still have them in this tank?

• Like 2
1 hour ago, billygoat said:

Also how are the engineer gobies doing? Do you still have them in this tank?

Yep. They seem to be satisfied with the tunnels that they've built and have settled down a bit with the engineering. When I got them the LFS guy told me that they like to live in pairs, but these 2 pretty much reside on opposite sides of the tank. Of course. They are also less shy and come out in the evenings and for feedings.

• Like 2

I put the little mystery item in a little dish with some rock rubble and covered with a piece of coffee filter to help keep it from floating away (will replace that with some kind of mesh when I can). Hopefully it will attach itself and become something desirable.

• Like 3

I trimmed the lime green monti where it had died off, and a little bit of the big red monti on the side where the hammer had been stinging it. Left the little spot from the astray alone for now but will have to keep an eye on it and make sure it doesn't spread. The toadstool is etending polyps, but definitely not as happy as usual. Not sure how to handle a dead spot in the middle of it.

Finally glued the Acans and Zoas to a piece of rock so that they can have their own space.

Turned the auto doser back on. LFS didn't have the same brand of Alkalinity that I use, so I had to get something different. I figured that was better than waiting to get ESV from marine Depot and letting the Numbers drop even further. Hopefully it will al be ok.

• Like 2
  • 3 weeks later...

Near catastrophe adverted, hopefully...

Got home from day 10 (of 17) of a 14 hour work day to hubby saying "what's this weird stuff all over the floor by the tank?"

"hmmm.  don't know, kind of looks like salt spray, but where the heck is it coming from?" 

I boldly (maybe stupidly) taste it. Nope! not salt. Burns my tongue (just a little). I'm perplexed. Did one of the dogs pee some sort of strange urine? Eeew. No. I look around and discover that the hose that doses Calcium Carbonate to the tank has come dis connected. Oh no. So how long has Alkalinity been dosing and not Calcium?

It's 11;30 PM and I'm dead tired, but manage a couple of tests.

Alk 8.9

Ca 320

Okay, I'm not panicked. added some SeaChem Reef Advantage Calcium. Water change can wait until the morning. Retest tomorrow night. I'm going to bed. Good Night!

• Like 1
  • Wow 3

except for being pretty dirty-Film algae mostly, some detritus on the sand etc., the tank looks pretty good. I see no ill effects from the doser mishap. In fact, the Idaho Grape looks deeper purple than ever. Running doser on usual schedule right now. With extra added calcium last night numbers are:

Alk 8.5

Ca 350

Will retest tonight and add more calcium then if necessary 

Water change can wait. Off to day 11

• Like 3

Managed a water change and tank clean this morning. Broke my hammer in the process 😪. Had planned on changing out the carbon, but turns out I don't have any. Might as well just order it, cuz who knows when I'll get to LFS. Cleaned the rear chambers and rinsed the Chaeto, which I only do occasionally. I wonder as I'm doing this how many pods I'm getting rid of. Maybe it should be left alone?

Aside from looking pissed off at the moment, everything looks good. Will do testing later to check on the Ca/Alk levels.

4 more days of crazy work, then back to normal. One of the workers from my LFS stopped by my bar on Saturday, so I told him to tip me big so I can go buy something special for the tanks when this is all over! 😆

• Like 3
On 1/5/2020 at 3:42 PM, Pjanssen said:

found this when I trimmed/fragged the green monti and wondering what it is. At first I thought it was some kind of algae, but it is pretty gelatinous, but not slimy, and holds it shape fairly well. under the lights it is pink. I'm thinking maybe a baby Rhodactis mushroom. Any thoughts? Again sorry for the bad photos. Really disappointed in the iPhone 11 camera. Need to pull out the DSLR

IMG_0581.jpeg.b39cfe042d0a9feb1097071b44b77547.jpegIMG_0580.thumb.jpeg.fda308f87508cb310fb7aeb767db1212.jpeg

Did anything come of this?

2 hours ago, DutchNanoReefer88 said:

Looks very beautiful and natural. Can you also take a picture with less blue in it? 😊

Yes. This was just a quick iPhone shot as I was running out the door. 

And thanks

5 hours ago, seabass said:

Those montis look great!

Thanks . I agree, but the red one up top is really taking over. I don't know what I want to do about it. I feel like the shape of it is too beautiful to frag and it is growing on the back wall so moving it will be damaging, but it's creating an awful lot of shade. Never thought I would have a beautiful overgrowth problem.

IMG_0718.jpeg

• Like 3
  • Wow 1
On 2/1/2020 at 1:13 PM, Pjanssen said:

Thanks . I agree, but the red one up top is really taking over. I don't know what I want to do about it. I feel like the shape of it is too beautiful to frag and it is growing on the back wall so moving it will be damaging, but it's creating an awful lot of shade. Never thought I would have a beautiful overgrowth problem.

IMG_0718.jpeg

Is the red and the green grafted together? A nice overgrow problem to have.

Any reason to not put some corals in the shaded area?

1 hour ago, Ratvan said:

Is the red and the green grafted together? A nice overgrow problem to have.

Any reason to not put some corals in the shaded area?

They are not grafted, just swirling around each other.

There are some rhodactis mushrooms growing under them, but it's really hard to see them, especially in a photo.

• Like 1
1 minute ago, Pjanssen said:

They are not grafted, just swirling around each other.

There are some rhodactis mushrooms growing under them, but it's really hard to see them, especially in a photo.

That's even cooler than a grafted cap!

• Like 3
  • Pjanssen changed the title to Penny's Lane-A BC29 Journey. Retired