SaltCritters.com

Penny's Lane-A BC29 Journey. Retired

Pjanssen

• 4 weeks later...

So just totally pissed off my tank! Routine cleaning plus cleaned the return pump and changed the carbon/GFO. somehow knocked the hose off of the chiller pump so it started gushing water. Not sure why that would piss everything off so much but it did. Chemical warfare all around. hopefully it all settles down quickly without any damage. Just thought I'd share.

• Wow 1
  • 2 weeks later...

We managed to get through Irma fairly unscathed, but...my SPS corals need help. I don't think the no lights and low circulation for 3 days caused my problems, but it certainly didn't help, as they are not looking great. I'm not talking tissue loss, but color loss.  It started maybe 2 weeks before the storm, so I amped up the lights by 5% and 1/2 hour longer. After a couple of days they seemed worse, so I turned the lights down 10% and went back to original schedule. The corals are a blue pociliporis, a pink ORA birds nest, and a blue cali tort. The cali tort also does not extend any polyps. I feed reef frenzy twice a week, plus the various foods I feed the fish and LPS corals

I'll do  a water test after work tonight, but typically my parameters are:

Alk 8.4

ca 440

temp 79

• Sad 2

temp fluctuations during the outage?  a few of mine that were giving me trouble before the storm are not looking so hot. 

Also, are you dosing any aminos like reef energy or seachem fuel?

3 minutes ago, lkoechle said:

temp fluctuations during the outage?  a few of mine that were giving me trouble before the storm are not looking so hot. 

Also, are you dosing any aminos like reef energy or seachem fuel?

Not sure about the temp fluctuations, possible. I do not dose anything but ca. and alk. but I have fuel so I can.

I decided I couldn't wait for water test so I'm going into work late.

temp. 78

salinity 1.027 

dKh 7.9

ca 380

Mg 1300

NO3 2.5

PO4 >0.3 (I have some algae, so this is probably a false reading)

added about 2 cups RO

Manually dosed 2mil Alk and Ca. reprogramming doser

Water change will have to wait until tonight.

With the storm prep at home and work, the actual storm, and the work for 2 days after the storm I really had to ignore the tanks. Not that I didn't think about them and worry, just didn't have the time or energy to tend to them. But the SPS problems started before the storm, so I need help figuring out how to get them healthy.

• Like 1
3 hours ago, Pjanssen said:

SPS are so new to me. You think you research and pay attention and are ready but...

well they were easy in my 85.  and touchy in the 25. size really does make a difference. Oh well

:happy:

• Haha 1

I was finally able to get to a water change today and the tank looks worse than I realized. aside from the SPS not looking good at all, I think all of my snails have died. I have more algae than I realized too. Sometimes I feel like it's just not worth it!:( Okay, I'll get over it and try to make it better. It's been a long couple of weeks and there is still debris in my yard that I need to get up. It's so hot outside it's hard to stay motivated.

• Like 1
  • Sad 2

Aww, sorry about your snails. I recently lost my two trochus and I was pretty upset.  I never would have thought I'd get attached to snails!  Hang in there!  I'm sure you'll have everything back in line in no time, yard and tank wise :)

• Thanks 1
15 minutes ago, fishfreak0114 said:

Aww, sorry about your snails. I recently lost my two trochus and I was pretty upset.  I never would have thought I'd get attached to snails!  Hang in there!  I'm sure you'll have everything back in line in no time, yard and tank wise :)

Thanks. Can't say I was really attached to my snails, but it is an indication that something is off. Bought a few more today, ramped down my lights and duration by 10% to see if that helps the SPS. Tomorrow is another day.

• Like 2
23 minutes ago, JoeMan02 said:

Hey guys, saw this as a sps help thread and im wondering if anyone can help me with my acropora. link: 

Hi Joe. Nobody has responded with help for me either. Talked to LFS today and he recommended I turn the lights down a little. I also think I may have had a slight alkalinity swing that is. Contributing to my issues. SPS are new to me so I won't be much help to you. Sorry

4 minutes ago, Pjanssen said:

Hi Joe. Nobody has responded with help for me either. Talked to LFS today and he recommended I turn the lights down a little. I also think I may have had a slight alkalinity swing that is. Contributing to my issues. SPS are new to me so I won't be much help to you. Sorry

np! gl with yours

This tank has been giving me lots of trouble of late.

SPS all looking bad-bleaching, browning, no polyps.

Euphilia not as fully extended as usual

Toadstool over reaching and looking leggy. Also looks like some kind of tissue damage on the stem.

Acans and Zoas seem fine, as does the Duncan when its not getting knocked over. Repositioned.

Pipe Organ being taken over by some kind of algae- I think the dreaded Bryopsis is back.

Having trouble with Alkalinity stability which I know is attributing to at least the SPS problem, and probably the Euphillia too. Feeling like I should stop trying to dose and just go back to more frequent water changes. Everything always did fine with that and maybe this tank just isn't meant for SPS.

Manually removed as much algae as I could, including taking out 2 rocks that the SPS were on and moving them to the frag rack. Started another round of Fluconozol . Pretty strong dose-4 capsules instead of the 3 that I have done in the past. 

Soaked the pipe organ in 50% peroxide for several minutes since I couldn't get between to remove algae.

Pictures later

Blue Pocciliporis. Started turning white. I turned the light intensity down and now its turning brown.

37289579801_1f0fc15ea6_z.jpgUntitled by Penny, on Flickr

Pink ORA birds nest started turning white in the center. has algae growing on it which I blow off daily.

37260213252_f1b777ed17_z.jpgUntitled by Penny, on Flickr

Blue Cali tort. Still blue and looks okay but hasn't extended any polyps in quite some time.

37242615236_4eb29c4043_z.jpgUntitled by Penny, on Flickr

• Sad 1

Normally the hammer is the center piece of the tank and you can't usually see any space between the heads. The torch just aren't extending and full like they usually are.

36620075823_fc55f057f1_z.jpgUntitled by Penny, on Flickr

37242615036_f2c6460132_z.jpgUntitled by Penny, on Flickr

The peroxide dip took care of some of the algae, but the pipe organ is pretty pissed off

37260213732_ce4211fd09_z.jpgUntitled by Penny, on Flickr

• Sad 1
8 minutes ago, Lula_Mae said:

I wonder if it's a residual effect of the power outage with Irma?  Sorry you're having such trouble!

I think they started looking a little off before Irma, but definitely going down hill since.

• Sad 2
  • Pjanssen changed the title to Penny's Lane-A BC29 Journey. Retired