Cultivated Reef

Penny's Lane-A BC29 Journey. Retired

Pjanssen

8 minutes ago, seabass said:

For the fish, yeah, I'd prefer a ten gallon tank.  Or even a 5.5 gallon should be alright.  You could even use a 5 gallon bucket in a pinch.

Good luck!  I don't believe this fish has much time left.  It might even be too late to treat. :(  But I would still try.

:(. Yeah, maybe ill get the 2.5 and put the brain in it so I can treat the 10G. Just waiting for petco to open

• Like 1
2 hours ago, Pjanssen said:

:(. Yeah, maybe ill get the 2.5 and put the brain in it so I can treat the 10G. Just waiting for petco to open

You could even use a medium to large size rubbermaid container. Good luck!

• Like 1

I hear you. :(  Been there before.  It's your call.  But if it's still swimming, I'd probably try to treat it.  Sorry you have to deal with this.  It's my least favorite part of this hobby.

• Like 1

This is so painful. I keep going in to check on her and she's laying on her side on the bottom of the tank. I assume she's dead and go to take her out and she wiggles away. How can I help keep her upright?

• Like 2
8 minutes ago, Pjanssen said:

How can I help keep her upright?

Yeah, I'm afraid you can't.  There are threads on euthanasia.  Some discuss clove oil.  I have only cut their heads off.  It breaks my heart and it bothers me for awhile, but I know it was quick and relatively painless.  I hate, hate, hate doing it but...

• Like 1
25 minutes ago, seabass said:

Yeah, I'm afraid you can't.  There are threads on euthanasia.  Some discuss clove oil.  I have only cut their heads off.  It breaks my heart and it bothers me for awhile, but I know it was quick and relatively painless.  I hate, hate, hate doing it but...

i can't do that

It's a moot point now, She is gone. RIP Bessie:tears:

• Like 2
20 minutes ago, seabass said:

I'm sorry to hear that.  Seeing them suffer can really affect us.  Take a deep breath.

Yes. Breathing. in. out.

17 minutes ago, teenyreef said:

I'm so sorry. You did everything you could, though. 

Thank you. Just wish I had caught it earlier, maybe it would have made a difference.

• Like 4

With the 10 gallon that I medicated for the fish, do I now need to throw that water out before retuning the coral, or just run carbon for a little while, and do a partial change?

4 minutes ago, Lula_Mae said:

:tears: Sorry about Bessie.  Always hard to lose a pet especially one you've had for a while.

Thanks Lula. I'm a little sad. she was a living creature and she suffered. She was almost 5 years old-I don't know if thats a long life time or not.

1 minute ago, SeaFurn said:

I'm so sorry about Bessie. 

Thank you

1 hour ago, seabass said:

I'm sorry to hear that.  Seeing them suffer can really affect us.  Take a deep breath.

This. :(

8 minutes ago, Pjanssen said:

With the 10 gallon that I medicated for the fish, do I now need to throw that water out before retuning the coral, or just run carbon for a little while, and do a partial change?

If it was me, I'd just change out the water (better safe than sorry).  However, you can check the label and see if how reef safe the medication might be and if activated carbon removes it.

• Like 1
fishfreak0114

I'm so sorry that you lost Bessie. Losing fish is hard, especially when they suffer in the process.  You did everything that could be done though :grouphug:

• Like 1
  • 2 weeks later...

Did a little bit of tank maintenance this weekend. I was going about 3 weeks between water changes for awhile, but lately I'm finding that 2 weeks is the max, and 10 days might be better-just the usual film on glass, extra detritus on sand and rocks etc. I switched back to carbon and GFO from the Chemipure Blue that I had been using for the past few months.

Calcium and Alkalinity seem to finally dialed in at 8.9 dKH and 450 Ca. Auto doser is set to dispense alkalinity 7 ml a day broken up to 8 times a day, and  Ca 3 ml per day at 4 times a day. I am getting a little calcium precip on the back wall though, and I'm not sure what that means or what to do about it.

All the critters look good, except the trumpet (never had luck with them). Still not sure what to do about the Nems. Can't bring myself to get rid of them, and can't afford to pull the trigger on a bigger tank.:unsure:

7 hours ago, seabass said:

How's your magnesium level?

this afternoons readings:

dKH 8.5

Ca 430

Mg 1380+

salinity 1.026

temp 70

I don't dose magnesium, so whatever is in there is occurring from the natural ocean water that I use, and gets replenished whenever I do a water change.

9 hours ago, Pjanssen said:

I am getting a little calcium precip on the back wall though, and I'm not sure what that means or what to do about it.

I was wondering if low magnesium could be causing the precipitation.  But that doesn't appear to be the case.

Could you be dosing calcium AND alkalinity within an hour of each other?

1 hour ago, seabass said:

Could you be dosing calcium AND alkalinity within an hour of each other?

I think 5 minutes apart, but only 1/2 of the time. I guess I should try to program it differently?

• Pjanssen changed the title to Penny's Lane-A BC29 Journey. Retired