pwfletcher

Nuvo 16G w/ AI Nano, VorTech MP10 - Day 012

pwfletcher

Day 001 (04/05/2013)

Just finished setting up a brand new Nuvo 16 ... hands are still wet. Upgraded from the Nuvo 8G because I got tired of the health swings ... I always wanted this tank anyway. Moved the live rock and water over from the 8G and will give it a few weeks to cycle before I start dropping livestock in there.

Two questions:

1) Is the AI Nano enough light for this tank? If so, I have it set for 30, 33, 40 ... is that high enough?

2) Is the Jaeger 50W enough heater or do I need to get the 100W?

Specs:

Nuvo 16G Tank

Apex Jr. Controller w/ WXM

Aqua Illumination Nano Super Blue Vega Color LED

Ecotech VorTech MP10WES Pump

InTank MediaBaskets and Fuge Basket bundle

Jaeger 50W Cobalt Aquatics NeoTherm 75w Heater

2 x 100ml Bags Purigen

Day 001 FTS

Nuvo-16-Day-001.jpg

Current FTS (Day 019)

Nuvo-16-Day-019.jpg

• Like 1

Deleted User 4

Nice tank and lights. I would set it at 15w, 20rb, 30b if I were you.

eddiecorrea

I'd add another AI Nano. Or elevate it more. Doesn't look like the coverage is very good.

Tbone675

Raise it for better coverage and up the power. It will be fine. They are strong lights.

75 should be okay

eddiecorrea

Oh and get a Cobalt Neo-therm heater.

pwfletcher

Thanks for the suggestion ... just ordered the Cobalt 75W ;-)

eddiecorrea

Thanks for the suggestion ... just ordered the Cobalt 75W ;-)

Good call. GREAT heater. I love my 100w. I have a 200w on preorder.

pwfletcher

So, I have one lower the power on the lights and one raise the power on the lights. Hmmmm ...

Deleted User 4

Your tank is pretty short in height am I correct? If so it's better to lower the intensity. Ai modules have really deep optics so it's best for taller tanks. Also, you wouldn't want to melt down your 1st corals. :)

eddiecorrea

Honestly I don't think 30 is too high. Everyone says the AIs are incredibly powerful. They are powerful but my zoas were mad until I hit about 35%. They were all stretching for the light and all I had over my tank were 2 Kessil 150s before I put 2 AI Nanos.

pwfletcher

Two hours in and the hitchhikers are starting to come out ;-)

hitchhiker.jpg

• Like 2

Deleted User 4

Take that crab out and give it to the lfs. Not a reef safe crab. Mithrax.

eddiecorrea

^ Don't listen to that noob.

Emerald Mithrax crabs are reef safe for the most part. SOME will eat coral. I've had mine for over a year and he is very well behaved.

BTW that looks like a Gorilla Crab to me. Which is bad. If it is kill it with fire.

Deleted User 4

Well, lots of people say it's not reef safe. I just wouldn't want to risk it. I had one that was reef safe in the past as well.

People didn't believe me though.

pwfletcher

Well, out he came and into the empty 8G for the night ... LFS can have him back tomorrow. Also took out 4 yellow nudibranchs ...

patback

Well, lots of people say it's not reef safe. I just wouldn't want to risk it. I had one that was reef safe in the past as well.People didn't believe me though.

While people market them as an algae eater, which they're great at, they are scavengers like all crabs and just big enough to wreak havoc in a nano. Mine ripped up my torch to get to some food I fed to it.

The pictured definitely is not an emerald or red Mithrax. Not even close. I'm voting gorilla also.

• Like 2

Psychosis

Mithrax or Xanthidae* are broad terms. Gorilla crab narrows that down to about a dozen species I can recall offhand. As a generalrule of thumb, a crab with pointed claws should be avoided. They're all omnivorous to some degree, but that morphology dictates this particular specimen prefers flesh to algaes in varying forms, where Emeralds are the reverse (you do have a smaller, but still notable risk to all of the fleshy things we keep.) I would quarantine or give away that crab, a lot of purple value them as refugium cleaners since they gave minimal impact on macros and their runners. Or mantis food.

I'm happy you got it out with out a fight, I had to tear apart my tank to get this crabs "built like a brick shit house" cousin.

• Like 2

slaychild

The light does look like it is only covering 3/4 of the tank. For the crab, just get ride of it to be on the safe side.

oogie

Hairy Legs = bad bad crab!!!

Simple......

• Like 1

metrokat

My emerald crab is hairy, he's a good little guy.

• Like 2

Deleted User 4

Well, out he came and into the empty 8G for the night ... LFS can have him back tomorrow. Also took out 4 yellow nudibranchs ...

4 yellow nudi's? Pictures?

pwfletcher

Pulled two more yellow nudis out this morning ... everything is cloud-free. Love the twice daily lightning storms from the Nano ;-)

TheKleinReef

i agree about the lighting.... try and boost the fixture up and then up the percentages, you would get a much better spread that way. i had mine 8" above a standard 10 which is 12" deep and i had my peak at 40W 35B 45RB. nothing was PO'd either.

• Like 1

pwfletcher

It showed up yesterday and I checked my graphs this morning ... it kept my tank within 0.2 deg all night. Good call, thanks ;-)

• Like 1