Pod Your Reef

The Innovative Marine Nuvo Index Thread

joel sandoman

Has anyone made a mesh screen top for their nuvo??? I wanna get some fish that are known to be jumpers. I can't use the glass because of heat issues.

defender.TX

Has anyone made a mesh screen top for their nuvo??? I wanna get some fish that are known to be jumpers. I can't use the glass because of heat issues.

You could use the BRS Screen top kit with the stock plastic lid mounts. I actually plan on doing it for my 24 because I hate cleaning the glass.

You could use the BRS Screen top kit with the stock plastic lid mounts. I actually plan on doing it for my 24 because I hate cleaning the glass.

Please share this when you do. I hate the little clips! Too much water movement and they drip salt down the side of the glass.

-----

May I be added to the list? :-)

Nuvo 4: http://www.nano-reef.com/topic/330270-sangheilis-innovative-marine-nuvo-4/

Nuvo 24: http://www.nano-reef.com/topic/330750-sangheilis-innovative-marine-nuvo-24

• Like 1

Good afternoon Joel, can you please add my Nuvo 24 to your list? Thanks much. This thread has been a great resource thanks for taking the time to put it together.

• 2 weeks later...
Breakthecycle2

Nice tanks. Is the one on the right a 30g or 38g? It looks smaller than the one on the left.

It must be the camera or the angle. It does look smaller, but it is a 38 as well.

My daughter has been asking for a reef tank for almost a year and we are ready to make the purchase. We have decided to go with the Innovative Marine Nuvo 24 so I wanted to ask the community about where to start. First, neither my wife nor I have ever had an aquarium of any sort so we are really starting from scratch. I have read all of the Nuvo 24 threads on the site and quite a few of the 16s as well. It seems like almost everyone has upgraded/added additional components in various ways. Bottom line, we don't know what we need, equipment wise. I thought I would post what we would like in the tank and let all of you chime in on equipment, lights, livestock and coral. We have been visiting an array of LFS and Central FL has quite a few to check out. Here is what we have seen in a few tanks that interest us to start.

Corals-

Torch

Leather

Plate

Zoa

Frogspawn

Hammer

Ricordea Florida

Livestock-

The 2 smallest clowns we can find

Some type of goby

Fire shrimp

Various other snails, crabs, etc. for the CUC (about how many of what should we have here?)

With that in mind, what type of lighting do we need? I plan on getting LEDs but there is several hundred $$s difference in the lights on Marine Depot for an IM 24.

What other equipment would you highly recommend we start out with (and any we should add over time)?

We plan on getting the rotating nozzles (if that helps).

This is quite an adventure for us and we are really excited to get going. After looking at what we want in a tank stand I have decided to build my own. I will post pictures after I get going. Right now all I have is seven 2X4X8s in the garage. :)

Thanks everyone,

Len

• Like 1

My daughter has been asking for a reef tank for almost a year and we are ready to make the purchase. We have decided to go with the Innovative Marine Nuvo 24 so I wanted to ask the community about where to start. First, neither my wife nor I have ever had an aquarium of any sort so we are really starting from scratch. I have read all of the Nuvo 24 threads on the site and quite a few of the 16s as well. It seems like almost everyone has upgraded/added additional components in various ways. Bottom line, we don't know what we need, equipment wise. I thought I would post what we would like in the tank and let all of you chime in on equipment, lights, livestock and coral. We have been visiting an array of LFS and Central FL has quite a few to check out. Here is what we have seen in a few tanks that interest us to start.

Corals-

Torch

Leather

Plate

Zoa

Frogspawn

Hammer

Livestock-

The 2 smallest clowns we can find

Some type of goby

Fire shrimp

Various other snails, crabs, etc. for the CUC (about how many of what should we have here?)

With that in mind, what type of lighting do we need? I plan on getting LEDs but there is several hundred $$s difference in the lights on Marine Depot for an IM 24.

What other equipment would you highly recommend we start out with (and any we should add over time)?

We plan on getting the rotating nozzles (if that helps).

This is quite an adventure for us and we are really excited to get going. After looking at what we want in a tank stand I have decided to build my own. I will post pictures after I get going. Right now all I have is seven 2X4X8s in the garage. :)

Thanks everyone,

Len

Good evening Len,

The Nuvo 24 is a wonderful aquarium with 3 feet of horizontal viewing. It is a shallow tank so many of the lighting options will work for the corals you are planning to add. LED's do come in many options and I would recommend a light that allows you to adjust color and kelvin ratings. There are many 36" options and also lights that hang from the back using hanging kits. If money is not an option, I am a big fan of the Radion Pro by Ecotech, the Maxspect Razor, and Kessil A350 or 360W series lights. Keep in mind that blue led lights will make your corals pop more. Many aquarist will add stunner strips to bring out more vibrant colors in their corals.

Must have:100 watt heater is necessary especially in the winter. You do not want your water to get to cold. There are many brands available so do a little research before buying.

Highly recommended: Quality water test kit. Successful aquariums maintain quality water parameters. A good quality test kit will help you determine what is going on with your aquarium, when it is cycling, and how high or low certain elements are in your aquarium water. Many get away without testing but it is risky.

Highly recommended: A protein skimmer is a must in my opinion. IM makes a desktop skimmer that fits perfectly into the back. Many aquarists on nano reef have been having challenges adjusting the skimmer and breaking it in. The biggest complaint is that it produces too many micro bubbles. I own one that has been running very well. Another popular option is the Tunze 9002. Reviews from the majority is that it works flawlessly from the start. I do not have experience with this skimmer but I'm sure others will give their feedback. There are a few other options but the above 2 protein skimmers are most popular on the Nuvo 24.

Highly recommended: Spin streams are a good investment and a inexpensive way to generate random water flow in your aquarium. I own 2 and have seen very positive results with them. Some aquarist would say they are loud, but my aquarium is in the bedroom 3 feet from where I sleep and I barely hear them. you could also add additional powerheads to generate more flow.

Recommended: RO/DI Unit: This unit will produce clean 0 TDS (Total Dissolved Solids) RO/DI freshwater which can then be added to your aquarium or mixed with your salt mix of choice. The RO/DI unit attaches to a sink, usually a laundry sink and can produce 35 to over100 gallons of purified water per day. By purchasing this unit there will be no more need to travel to and from your local aquarium store which will most likely save you money in the long run. Clean, purified water is the life source of your aquarium and will assist to prevent unwanted algae blooms.

Recommended: Auto Top off device. This piece of equipment will eliminate the need to top off your aquarium with freshwater on a daily basis. You will need to create or install a separate container to hold your freshwater which will then be pumped into the back chambers of your aquarium when the designated level becomes low. There systems utilize probes to detect the change in the level of your aquarium or sump.

Optional: Power heads for additional water flow. If you want to get really fancy, try a vortech mp10ES model. You can customize many different wave and reef environments, can hook up a battery backup in case of power failure, and it can communicate with your Echotech Radion Pro lighting fixture if you went that route.

Optional: Equipment includes some sort of reactor. Adding Minimax reactors from IM will allow you to use active water flow to pass through chemical media of your choice. Some choose biopellets, GFO, carbon, de-nitrate media, and phosphate remover to add in these reactors. The fit perfectly in the back of the chambers and are made for the Nuvo series aquarium.

Optional: Chiller to keep you water parameters stable and cool during the summer months. With a good chiller you will never have to worry about you aquarium overheating.

Optional: Aquarium controller. The one that comes to mind and has excellent reviews in the Neptune Apex series controllers. Can control almost every piece of equipment on your aquarium. Lights, heater, chiller, pumps, and much more. You will be able to control your aquarium from anywhere in the world by just installing a simple app on your phone and having a wireless connection to the internet. How cool is that :)

Optional: Dosing pumps and or Calcium reactor. These devices will dose certain supplements to your aquarium periodically to keep water parameters stable and supply corals, fish and inverts with the necessary elements they need to thrive and survive. These devices will eliminate the need to manually add chemical supplements.

Optional: Hang on the back refugium. A refugium will allow you to add beneficial algae which will help consume unwanted nutrients such as phosphate which is produced from leftover food and fish wastes. Aquarists also use refugiums to shelter and assist with copepod reproduction which will help feed corals and certain fish which require this live source of food. Some also place live rock and even add some inverts and corals. a refugium could also be used to acclimate new corals, inverts, and especially fish without being bullied initially while acclimating to aquarium conditions. You will also be adding water volume and extra biological filtration to the main system.

Optional: Inline UV sterilizer. This can be used to control algae outbreaks and break reproductive cycles of parasites. Downside is that it will not distinguish between good and bad bacteria and will kill mostly anything that passes through it. Many reef aquarists take a pass on UV, but some have it in case of emergencies like a parasitic outbreak in their aquariums.

Please keep in mind that these are just a few suggestions and only brief descriptions and examples. Many aquarists have different experiences with various equipment and many others run aquariums with virtually no equipment and regular maintenance plus water changes. Best of luck on your new adventure and just remember we are all here to assist.

• Like 2

Wow very extensive reply Egginis.

Here's mine.

Mandatory:

A sponge bob square pants figurine. While your at it, get Patrick the starfish guy as well. Your daughters gonna love it.

• Like 3

Wow very extensive reply Egginis.

Here's mine.

Mandatory:

A sponge bob square pants figurine. While your at it, get Patrick the starfish guy as well. Your daughters gonna love it.

My boys love Sponge Bob :)

Thank you so much. This is really helpful. We are looking forward to getting our tank all set up and started and being a part of this community.

We ordered the 24 with a Razor yesterday from Marine Depot along with all the other equipment. It should arrive in about a week so I have from now til then to build the stand. We will post pics and updates once we have water in the tank. Thanks again for the advice.

• Like 1

I assume you know the basics like how much sand and live rock to add and let it cycle before you add fish, good luck dying to get this tank

• Like 1

I assume you know the basics like how much sand and live rock to add and let it cycle before you add fish, good luck dying to get this tank

I think it's a pound of live rock per gallon. Is that correct? I don't remember what I have read about how much sand but I know it is on here in multiple places. I think I will buy my LR on craig's list since there are a number of people selling it for $2 a pound.

Yes that's about right some people do more or less but it just general guidelines ,what do you have for a stocking list? Trust me you are going to want to research for hours on end I'wi.l soon be getting my tank and the past months I've been reading, spending time on the forums and talking to people. P.S try to find a good trustworthy fish store ( one that wont upswell you or lie that you "need" this for your tank when you don't) good luck

Pss try some sites like

http://www.aquabuys.com/c/nano-reef-aquarium.html

And

http://www.myfishtank.net/forum/nano-saltwater-discussion/34054-nano-reef-step-step-guide.html

Not the best but just what i had bookmarked

• Like 1

Yes that's about right some people do more or less but it just general guidelines ,what do you have for a stocking list? Trust me you are going to want to research for hours on end I'wi.l soon be getting my tank and the past months I've been reading, spending time on the forums and talking to people. P.S try to find a good trustworthy fish store ( one that wont upswell you or lie that you "need" this for your tank when you don't) good luck Pss try some sites like http://www.aquabuys.com/c/nano-reef-aquarium.html And http://www.myfishtank.net/forum/nano-saltwater-discussion/34054-nano-reef-step-step-guide.html Not the best but just what i had bookmarked

My prelim stocking list is above but it could change since we have quite a bit of time before the tank/equipment arrives and we cycle. I did build the frame for my stand today. I am not sure how I am going to "wrap" it. Right now it's a bunch of 2X4s and a top. It was 110 in the garage today so I am glad to have that behind me.