joel sandoman

The Innovative Marine Nuvo Index Thread

paradizecityz

Man, all these topics on IM tanks "blowing out" or cracking and such is freaking me out! I just recently purchased and setup a new Nuvo 30 and I really hope this won't happen to me....

drfu

Im a Nuvo owner, have been for only 3 months though and I'm not worried. Yes what happened to Ravin stinks, think all things can have issues at one point or another. Their are over 70 threads to builds on this site alone! I would check out the 6 threads here, chat with these owners and see what they say, they might in fact have issues or they might be happy with their tanks.

joel sandoman

The amount of Nuvos that crack is very low percentage. People need to relax. My transmission went out on my Honda at 100k miles but they are still great cars

Bobyboy

Are you going to update this with a section for the SR and fusion series?

Most of the nuvo's that are cracking are the first gen 24's, as long as your 24g or bigger tank has glass thicker than 6mm you have no reason to worry.

• Like 1

endy0430

Sup guys been absent for awhile but I'm back. Lots of new upgrades will be posting them soon.

drfu

Just seen on IM's website the new micro 30L, havent seen any reviews yet or even pricing. Tempted but 3 sw tanks in 3 months might be a bit much, my gf already thinks i have gone nuts! Looks like all of your 24's but with 3" more depth, no curved glass, but the edges & mesh top of the SR series.

joel sandoman

Are you going to update this with a section for the SR and fusion series?

Most of the nuvo's that are cracking are the first gen 24's, as long as your 24g or bigger tank has glass thicker than 6mm you have no reason to worry.

I will update it as soon as someone posts their link here.

Maniu

What skimmer are you guys running in your IMs. IM16 in particular.

endy0430

What skimmer are you guys running in your IMs. IM16 in particular.

I have the CAD LIGHTS PLS 50 on my Nuvo 30.

• Like 1

D Z

Interesting question for everyone. I recently upgraded my return pump in my Nuvo 8 to the MJ900. I absolutely love the flow it provides with the spinstream over what I was using before(stock return pump/spinstream with a MP10W). My corals, especially my torch coral, seem happier with the new setup. The only problem I am having is it is moving all the sand in the front right corner to the left along the front pane of glass and back along the right pane of glass. It is almost to the point now where I can see bare bottom glass in the corner. Has anyone else dealt with this? Any ideas on what I could do to fix it.

I thought of taking the spin stream off and using 1/4" lockline split into a Y, and I could direct flow where I want it, but then I would lose the alternating/random flow. I think the torch coral is most happier now due to the random flow that the spin stream provides. The MP10 was just too much for it, didn't matter which setting.

drfu
Interesting question for everyone. I recently upgraded my return pump in my Nuvo 8 to the MJ900. I absolutely love the flow it provides with the spinstream over what I was using before(stock return pump/spinstream with a MP10W). My corals, especially my torch coral, seem happier with the new setup. The only problem I am having is it is moving all the sand in the front right corner to the left along the front pane of glass and back along the right pane of glass. It is almost to the point now where I can see bare bottom glass in the corner. Has anyone else dealt with this? Any ideas on what I could do to fix it.

I thought of taking the spin stream off and using 1/4" lockline split into a Y, and I could direct flow where I want it, but then I would lose the alternating/random flow. I think the torch coral is most happier now due to the random flow that the spin stream provides. The MP10 was just too much for it, didn't matter which setting.

When i did the exact same thing i had the issue as well, though not down to the bottom of the glass, i guess results would vary based on how your live rock is positioned. One thing that i did was trim the rubber adaptors thad came with the spin stream down a half inch on each end to get it closer to the back of the tank. The other thing i did was to turn the spin stream so that the nozzle was towards the middle of the tank and not as close to the right side glass, i found that helped as well. I had the same issue when i added my Hydor Nano 240 but again just some tweaking of placement/pointing and it settled down.

• Like 1

Maniu
I have the CAD LIGHTS PLS 50 on my Nuvo 30.

Do you like it and can you compare it to other skimmers in this category ?

I own nano Eshopps skimmer that I could transfer from one of my other setups but if there are better options out there I would like to take a look at those as well.

Maniu

When i did the exact same thing i had the issue as well, though not down to the bottom of the glass, i guess results would vary based on how your live rock is positioned. One thing that i did was trim the rubber adaptors thad came with the spin stream down a half inch on each end to get it closer to the back of the tank. The other thing i did was to turn the spin stream so that the nozzle was towards the middle of the tank and not as close to the right side glass, i found that helped as well. I had the same issue when i added my Hydor Nano 240 but again just some tweaking of placement/pointing and it settled down.

I have my mp10 setup on nutrient transport mode at %50(N) to %70(D) without any sand storm or ill syndromes on any of my corals. I can't speak of torch coral as I don't have those in my collection but from what I saw in fellow reefers tanks, it can take quite a bit of flow. So perhaps it is more of an acclimation issue. When I first introduced mp10 to this setup, half of my livestock got shocked with the amount of flow. However, after slow and gradual increasements of flow, from %10 to present setting over period of 6weeks, stabilized things dramatically. Just my 2c.

D Z

Thanks. I'll give this a shot.

D Z

I have my mp10 setup on nutrient transport mode at %50(N) to %70(D) without any sand storm or ill syndromes on any of my corals. I can't speak of torch coral as I don't have those in my collection but from what I saw in fellow reefers tanks, it can take quite a bit of flow. So perhaps it is more of an acclimation issue. When I first introduced mp10 to this setup, half of my livestock got shocked with the amount of flow. However, after slow and gradual increasements of flow, from %10 to present setting over period of 6weeks, stabilized things dramatically. Just my 2c.

It may have been my setup, with the somewhat close proximity of the torch to the MP10, but the torch was just not getting the extension that I wanted. It was happy, just not as happy as I felt it could be, if that makes sense. I had a feeling that it was not the amount of flow, but more the steadyness of the flow. While I did have the MP10 set on reefcrest mode at about 25%, in such a small tank that still translated into too much of a steady flow. None-the-less, every tank is different and I am 100% sure that the torch is much happier with the more random flow that the spin stream produces. If it were with the stock return pump, then I would agree that it wasn't getting enough flow, but with the MJ900, it is definitely getting plenty.

Oh, and it did not have anything to do with acclimation, as I had the MP10 in there from day 1. The torch was in the tank for about a month before making the change to the MJ900, and it started to look happier within 1 - 2 days of making the change.

• Like 1

Maniu
It may have been my setup, with the somewhat close proximity of the torch to the MP10, but the torch was just not getting the extension that I wanted. It was happy, just not as happy as I felt it could be, if that makes sense. I had a feeling that it was not the amount of flow, but more the steadyness of the flow. While I did have the MP10 set on reefcrest mode at about 25%, in such a small tank that still translated into too much of a steady flow. None-the-less, every tank is different and I am 100% sure that the torch is much happier with the more random flow that the spin stream produces. If it were with the stock return pump, then I would agree that it wasn't getting enough flow, but with the MJ900, it is definitely getting plenty.

Oh, and it did not have anything to do with acclimation, as I had the MP10 in there from day 1. The torch was in the tank for about a month before making the change to the MJ900, and it started to look happier within 1 - 2 days of making the change.

On the second thought, your Nuvo8 might be a bit small for mp10. I have another 8g aio setup and mp10 was indeed an overkill. And what I did was somewhat similar to your solution. I did upgraded the return pump and install spin stream and that workers for the most part. But it wasn't enough flow for my gorgonians which prefer a LOT of flow. And I agree, all tanks are a little different. Rockwork, placement, livestock, size, all play a role in optimum setup. Perhaps I was referring to my IM16 in my response without taking size restrictions of your tank into account. As far as acclimation goes, it is always the case while introducing new livestock or change in equipment (light, dosing, filtration, flow or lighting). Especially light, flow and water chemistry.

SquishyFishy

O.K. now I'M officially freaked out about the tank failure. I only have a 16...should I be worried? Mine has the rounded corners. Are you saying the glass just failed? I have a Hydor Koralia 240 that I turn off and on a few times a day, are you saying that the wave pumps are causing this.

• Like 1

endy0430
Do you like it and can you compare it to other skimmers in this category ?

I own nano Eshopps skimmer that I could transfer from one of my other setups but if there are better options out there I would like to take a look at those as well.

I can only compare it to the IM skimmer. The IM skimmer is very inconsistent one day it skims really well and other days it doesn't. Also it very sensitive to adjustments.

The Cadlight skimmer so far is a great skimmer. Looks very well made and is easy to adjust. Is still in the breaking in period so I can't tell you how well it skims till then. But there are others on here using it with good reviews.

• Like 1

drfu
O.K. now I'M officially freaked out about the tank failure. I only have a 16...should I be worried? Mine has the rounded corners. Are you saying the glass just failed? I have a Hydor Koralia 240 that I turn off and on a few times a day, are you saying that the wave pumps are causing this.

Freaked out? About what, one very sad and unfortunate tank exploding? I can only say with mine but i have a 240 and upgraded pump and after 4 months no issues, i would say the chances of yours failing ate slim!

Maniu

I can only compare it to the IM skimmer. The IM skimmer is very inconsistent one day it skims really well and other days it doesn't. Also it very sensitive to adjustments.The Cadlight skimmer so far is a great skimmer. Looks very well made and is easy to adjust. Is still in the breaking in period so I can't tell you how well it skims till then. But there are others on here using it with good reviews.

Thanks and I'll put that skimmer on my short list as eshopps is getting on my nerves. It behaves similar to your description of IM skimmer.

D Z

Thanks. I'll give this a shot.

So it looks like you suggestions worked. I need to give it a day or two to be sure, but it looks like I was able to find a sweet spot that doesn't cause the sand to be blown around. Thanks for the advice!

drfu

So it looks like you suggestions worked. I need to give it a day or two to be sure, but it looks like I was able to find a sweet spot that doesn't cause the sand to be blown around. Thanks for the advice!

Glad that worked out, enjoy your Nuvo 8, mine has been up and running for a few months now so if u have questions give me a pm

SquishyFishy

I hope so...I looked at a lot of other tanks and elected to go with IM and I love it so far. They gave me the skimmer, but after hours spent trying to tweak it, I gave up, it's in a box somewhere. I am buying a tunze nano skimmer..

That was a bummer for the guy with the tank failure, but did you see this on national news today this happened:

drfu

Was wondering when someone was gonna get this new tank, looks awesome from what i seen on. IM website. Did you own an IM before this one?