Top Shelf Aquatics

The Innovative Marine Nuvo Index Thread

joel sandoman

I bought some live rock yesterday on craig's list and have started the cycle on my IM 24. I noticed that after putting sand, live rock and water in the tank that it suddenly has a forward tilt to it. It was all level when dry so I am not sure what happened when filling it.

It makes me uneasy so I thought I would hop on and ask for suggestions. It is all too heavy for me to do any simple adjustments. Thoughts?

post-81248-0-72976300-1379887279_thumb.jpg

Is it the acrylic stand or what the entire tank is on top off

My fluval edge leans forward but it's because its on my dresser

It is what the entire tank is on top of. It was level with no tank and level with an empty tank but now tilting forward with a full tank.

I shimmed the desk holding my 16 because I realized my floor is actually uneven left to right so it looked really bad when the water level was half an inch higher on one side. It was pretty heavy and yours will be heavier but if you can get a good grip on the stand it should be reasonable to lift an inch while someone else slides something under.

Thanks. I don't know if I can lift it at this point. My stand is strong enough to put a car jack inside/underneath and lift the counter top/tank (I hope). At least as of now that's how I plan to raise it so I can put another shim underneath.

Just my two cents, you should not move the tank with water in it. One, 20 gallons of water is roughly 200 lbs, the tank and stand another 100, plus any sand and live rock you have in it. It's going to be heavy, and I would be very nervous using a jack.

Honestly, it will be way easier for you to buy 2 ten gallon RubberMaid tubs, siphon most of the water out, fix it, then pump the water back in.

• Like 1

I didn't jack the whole stand, just the counter top which was recessed. I didn't secure it since it was such a snug fit (glad I didn't). I placed a car jack inside my stand on the raised bottom and raised the top about 3/8", slid in three 1/4" plywood shims along the front and then lowered the jack. Whole thing took less than 5 minutes and now it is perfectly level. I will keep an eye on it to make sure it doesn't settle anymore. It's not something I want to do again.

• 1 month later...

Just got a Nuvo 16 and would like to ask a quick question about upgrading the lighting from the stock two LEDs with something better. I love the look of the Maxxspect, but it is a bit pricey in my mind for this small of a tank. However, I was looking at the Kessil A150w and I was wondering if that was my best option other than the Maxxspect? If so, what is the best one to go with (I.E. Sky/Ocean blue, Special blend etc) and also should I just ditch the two stock lights or use them with the Kessil? Any info is greatly appreciated! Love this thread lots of awesome tanks in here.

If money is a concern you can get a great light for the 16 from reefbreeders (value fixture) or I hear great things about buildmyled.com. Those options are both cheaper I think. I don't know anything about kessil lights though I just don't know how well a single light source would cover the 9X24 inch footprint of the display area that well. I also have no experience with that though so hopefully someone else chimes in on that.

Tony

I've set up my new 38G Nuvo Marine and I'm having heat issues. My house is at a steady 76 degrees but the tank is running at 80-82 degrees. I've unplugged the heater and it's not the light. I think it may be the pump. Has anyone else had this issue and if so, what did they do? If there is a cooler running pump out there that fits this tank, I would be grateful for suggestions.

Thanks!

L.

I have a nuvo 24 so perhaps a 38 owner can provide their suggestion. Having said that, I replaced my single pump that my tank came with, which is the same exact pump they include with the 38s. It even says mini 38 on the label of the pump. I replaced in hopes of getting less vibration noise and having some redundancy of using two pumps, but also the added benefit of less power usage/heat. Vibration noise is slightly reduced. Temps reduced but not sure how much as I was running my heater at 80 with old pump.

Ended up replacing with two cobalt aquatics (not marine land maxi jet) mj900 pumps. No longer use the Y-split tubing as each nozzle gets its own tube and pump.

Old pump: 45 watts/476 gph

Two new pumps: 16 watts/460 gph total

I've set up my new 38G Nuvo Marine and I'm having heat issues. My house is at a steady 76 degrees but the tank is running at 80-82 degrees. I've unplugged the heater and it's not the light. I think it may be the pump. Has anyone else had this issue and if so, what did they do? If there is a cooler running pump out there that fits this tank, I would be grateful for suggestions.

Thanks!

L.

I had a heat issue with my JBJ 28. I have LEDs and didn't think they added too much heat. I live in TX and keep my thermostat at the sametemp, 76. I found that it was bc I was running both pumps at the same time. I started using the wave maker and it stopped my heat issue.

i would suggest you go with schaNYC's suggestion and try a lower wattage pump. Also do you have the top glass on? If so, try removing it so it doesn't trap so much heat.

Thanks for the suggestions. I don't have the glass on. So, It must be the pump. I may try a sicce. I found one with more gph and lower wattage. Otherwise, I may go with two smaller pumps. I am not sure if the nuvo pump is a mag drive. It may be.