Cultivated Reef

The Innovative Marine Nuvo Index Thread

joel sandoman

HammerheadV13

I have the Eheim Jager 100W and it is too big for the tank. If you want a 100 watt heater go with the Cobalt Aquatics Neotherm. Higher quality and it's short enough to fit in the 24. Also, because it has an integrated digital controller, it is much less likely to break in the "on" position like traditional glass heaters do. You don't want to cook your fish!

I have this same heater, and the plastic part sticks out a little above the water. But all of the glass element is submerged and it sits maybe 1/4" above the bottom of the tank. I thought this was a proper setup, but I am new to this and my freshwater aquarium didn't require a heater. I'll try to get a picture after work.

Has anyone here put the reef octopus ns80 on the nuvo 16? I have heard about it being put in the center chamber but was wondering if it fit in one of the fuge columns.

Thanks

-Tony

Thanks for the heads up. I have no idea why Marine Depot would sell me a heater too long for my tank. :( I will ship it back and get the one you mention.

Hi, TeamIM24. Jeff from Marine Depot here. Did one of our staff recommend the wrong size heater for your tank? Have you already gotten an RMA # to send it back for refund and get the Neo-Therm? I just want to ensure you're getting taken care of. Also, if we made a mistake, we'd be more than happy to cover your return shipping. Feel free to PM me some details so we can get you squared away.

• Like 1

I have this same heater, and the plastic part sticks out a little above the water. But all of the glass element is submerged and it sits maybe 1/4" above the bottom of the tank. I thought this was a proper setup, but I am new to this and my freshwater aquarium didn't require a heater. I'll try to get a picture after work.

Take a look at the top plastic part of the heater - it has a wavy line on it near the top. This is the "fill line". All of the heater under that line needs to be submersed. I don't think you can even put enough water in the Nuvo 24 to cover that line if it isn't on a diagonal.

Hi, TeamIM24. Jeff from Marine Depot here. Did one of our staff recommend the wrong size heater for your tank? Have you already gotten an RMA # to send it back for refund and get the Neo-Therm? I just want to ensure you're getting taken care of. Also, if we made a mistake, we'd be more than happy to cover your return shipping. Feel free to PM me some details so we can get you squared away.

Hi Jeff, Thanks for being proactive on this. The short answer is yes. Based on the feedback here the heater sounds too tall. I haven't unboxed anything yet as I haven't finished making my stand. I will most likely return later this week and get something that will better fit the tank. I will be back in touch shortly. Thank you again.

• Like 1
HammerheadV13

Take a look at the top plastic part of the heater - it has a wavy line on it near the top. This is the "fill line". All of the heater under that line needs to be submersed. I don't think you can even put enough water in the Nuvo 24 to cover that line if it isn't on a diagonal.

You're correct, I never even paid attention to that water line on the top portion. It wasn't even close. New heater for me as well.

• Like 1

You're correct, I never even paid attention to that water line on the top portion. It wasn't even close. New heater for me as well.

I actually still use this heater at a 45 degree angle in the largest sump chamber but I'm going to have to replace it as soon as I want to put in a skimmer. I'm going to move it to my water change bucket to bring my new water up to the right temp.

HammerheadV13

Good idea, I put mine on an angle as well. Which skimmer are you thinking about? I like the Tunze with InTank cup. Overflows will spill water all over my electronics and I like that the cup sits within the dimensions of the rear chambers.

I actually still use this heater at a 45 degree angle in the largest sump chamber but I'm going to have to replace it as soon as I want to put in a skimmer. I'm going to move it to my water change bucket to bring my new water up to the right temp.

Good idea, I put mine on an angle as well. Which skimmer are you thinking about? I like the Tunze with InTank cup. Overflows will spill water all over my electronics and I like that the cup sits within the dimensions of the rear chambers.

Will the Tunze 9002 work on the 16g too and would it have to sit in the main/middle chamber? I have a hard time picturing the the skimmer fitting in the middle chamber with all the return lines. Does anyone have a picture of what it looks like in the sump?

I currently use the IM desktop skimmer, but I'm not all that thrilled with it.

HammerheadV13

Will the Tunze 9002 work on the 16g too and would it have to sit in the main/middle chamber? I have a hard time picturing the the skimmer fitting in the middle chamber with all the return lines. Does anyone have a picture of what it looks like in the sump?

I currently use the IM desktop skimmer, but I'm not all that thrilled with it.

I'm not 100% certain of the sump dimensions on the 16, but I sent a message to Stevie at InTank and asked about the Tunze fitting in the 24 with a reactor in the larger sump area and he sent me this pic.

post-80543-0-07544800-1378402202_thumb.jpg

• Like 1

I'm not 100% certain of the sump dimensions on the 16, but I sent a message to Stevie at InTank and asked about the Tunze fitting in the 24 with a reactor in the larger sump area and he sent me this pic.

attachicon.gif20130813_110212.jpg

That'd be fantastic if I could get the 9002 to squeeze in the rear "fuge" chamber of the 16g, but that doesn't look to be possible. The largest of the 4 compartments in the 16g is 3.23" wide (not counting the main/middle area) and the 9002 measures 4.9" across.

The main/middle sump area of the 16g is 10.51" across, so I suppose there's room for the 9002, I just can't picture it in there considering the return "Y" pump lines.

On a side note, I like the design of the 24g sump chambers more than the 16g. The 16g main/middle chamber actually spreads underneath each of the 4 side chambers (as you can kind of see in the below picture), which creates difficult to clean areas.

photo21_zpsc3a801c5.jpg

HammerheadV13

That'd be fantastic if I could get the 9002 to squeeze in the rear "fuge" chamber of the 16g, but that doesn't look to be possible. The largest of the 4 compartments in the 16g is 3.23" wide (not counting the main/middle area) and the 9002 measures 4.9" across.

The main/middle sump area of the 16g is 10.51" across, so I suppose there's room for the 9002, I just can't picture it in there considering the return "Y" pump lines.

On a side note, I like the design of the 24g sump chambers more than the 16g. The 16g main/middle chamber actually spreads underneath each of the 4 side chambers (as you can kind of see in the below picture), which creates difficult to clean areas.

photo21_zpsc3a801c5.jpg

If you could get creative with your Y-pipe I'm sure you could get it to work. Man that bottom sump area does look like a nightmare to clean!

• Like 1

Anyone else experiencing loud noise with the stock nuvo pump? I have the nuvo 24 which comes with the mini 38 476gph pump. Any sort of bandaid fix to reduce vibration noise? I made sure the pump wasn't touching the walls.

I'm torn between the 9002 and the Skimmate. I don't know which one I want yet - honestly, if broken in properly, I've seen the Skimmate working excellent. Also the 9002 is legendary. It's a tough decision. I might get the Skimmate just because it's cheaper and I'm on a budget.

post-81248-0-96723300-1378945455_thumb.jpg

So I finally finished my stand (lousy photo courtesy of iPhone 3G) and decided to go ahead and unpack my tank. I have set it up in the garage on a level plane and filled it up. I plan on letting it sit there for at least three days before moving it inside.

I didn't notice any visible cracks but did notice a bubble on the seam along the back right of the tank. Here is a picture of it.

post-81248-0-32977500-1378945354_thumb.jpg

The back left is perfectly smooth. Do any of my IM Nuvo tank friends have this bubble along the back? Cause for concern?

They wrap the back with a black covering (I have seen it torn off before) so maybe there is space between that and the real material back there which is making the crinkling noise. I don't think this should affect the structure if that's the case, and hey it did pass the water test.

That is my somewhat uninformed guess if it makes sense to you.

Tony

The refugium on the nuvo s is not really big enough to cause any MAJOR difference in nutrients but will make a great spot for pods to grow if thats what your going for. It can't hurt as long as you get e ough flow