Cultivated Reef

The Innovative Marine Nuvo Index Thread

joel sandoman

• 3 weeks later...

Hi to everyone, I am in yorkshire, UK. Looking to return to the hobby after many many years. I had a 6x2x2 invert tank with under gravel filtration and natural sea water from a marine life centre. After moving 20 plus years ago I didn't have time or room to continue. But the bug has bitten again and it's time for a more modern outlook. I have started looking at the IM tanks first the 16 then the 24 and now leaning to the mini38 which is probably the one I will go for. I know it has been superseded by the fusion40 but that is twice the cost and cannot see that it's twice as good. So that's where I am at the moment, your thoughts are welcome.

RIP Sebastian

Hi to everyone, I am in yorkshire, UK. Looking to return to the hobby after many many years. I had a 6x2x2 invert tank with under gravel filtration and natural sea water from a marine life centre. After moving 20 plus years ago I didn't have time or room to continue. But the bug has bitten again and it's time for a more modern outlook. I have started looking at the IM tanks first the 16 then the 24 and now leaning to the mini38 which is probably the one I will go for. I know it has been superseded by the fusion40 but that is twice the cost and cannot see that it's twice as good. So that's where I am at the moment, your thoughts are welcome.

IM 4,8,16,24, and 38 are no longer made. They were prone to cracking. My 24 cracked. If you want the 38, go with the 40.

Thank you for the reply, much appreciated. I cannot get to see the tank close up as their are no stockists nearby and I will import. The 38 is obviously old stock. I notice the 40 is low iron glass. I just wondered if it was worth paying double for it, that's why I came on here as I value people's advice.

RIP Sebastian

Thank you for the reply, much appreciated. I cannot get to see the tank close up as their are no stockists nearby and I will import. The 38 is obviously old stock. I notice the 40 is low iron glass. I just wondered if it was worth paying double for it, that's why I came on here as I value people's advice.

I'd go with the 40.

• 4 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Hey guys I'm having trouble trying to swap out the return pump on my IM 20. A have a Rio and an MJ pump. The outputs on them don't match the stock tubing (tubing is too small). How are you doing this? Is there an adapter to buy? Couldn't find the right one at Lowe's 

How much to small is the tubing? I upgraded the stock IM 20 pump with a Sicce and used a hairdryer to heat up the tubing then pushed it on the fittings. 

• Like 1
HighCurrent

When I changed mine to a Sicce it was close enough that it went together without any problems.

Odds are if the tubing is very close but not close enough, you will not find an adapter for it. Maybe you could use a bigger replacement tube? Then leave a smaller section of the original tube on the bulkhead. Then just jam it over?

• Like 1
On 4/19/2017 at 10:26 PM, Jaredgib said:

How much to small is the tubing? I upgraded the stock IM 20 pump with a Sicce and used a hairdryer to heat up the tubing then pushed it on the fittings. 

i used hot water to try to expand it but not a hairdryer. maybe I'll give that a shot. thanks

On 4/20/2017 at 5:42 AM, HighCurrent said:

When I changed mine to a Sicce it was close enough that it went together without any problems.

Odds are if the tubing is very close but not close enough, you will not find an adapter for it. Maybe you could use a bigger replacement tube? Then leave a smaller section of the original tube on the bulkhead. Then just jam it over?

i'll try that if the hairdryer doesn't work. thanks

• 2 months later...
6 hours ago, Ezrunner23 said:

I haven't bought my IM tank yet...funds and indecision (LOL), but in my reading, the Sicce Syncra Silent are very popular as a replacement in the Nuvo's. there's a # of options, each capable of different gph. it would be best to get something more powerful than what it came with as that gives you more leeway in the future.

13 hours ago, Friendly said:

I haven't bought my IM tank yet...funds and indecision (LOL), but in my reading, the Sicce Syncra Silent are very popular as a replacement in the Nuvo's. there's a # of options, each capable of different gph. it would be best to get something more powerful than what it came with as that gives you more leeway in the future.

yeah I just don't want to put a powerhead inside the display so I'm really thinking about getting the tunze since it will give me 210gph. I'm only going to put LPS and maybe a soft coral or two. I really lucked out when I got mine I got it on a moving sale for $20 they only had it running for 8-9 months!

hey EZ, the Sicce is a replacement pump, it would go in the back AIO chamber and connects to the flow nozzle. it's not something you would put in the fishes living space.  :) 

in fact, if you get a powerful enough Syncra pump, you could get the spin stream nozzle upgrade and not have to worry about a powerhead.

Mckinney0171

I use the Sicce 1.0 pump along with the spin stream nozzle.  Works great.

Anyone using an MP10 in theirs?  Just wondering what is a good percentage to run at.  Those things are hard to judge what is too much and too little flow.  I have mine maxed out.  But, I am afraid it may be too much.

hey McK...any particular reason you're using both the nozzle and a powerhead? Isn't the spin stream supposed to remove the need of a powerhead?

Mckinney0171
20 minutes ago, Friendly said:

hey McK...any particular reason you're using both the nozzle and a powerhead? Isn't the spin stream supposed to remove the need of a powerhead?

The spin stream doesn't provide any flow.  It is just a piece of plastic (nozzle)on a bearing that spins when water flows through it and creates random turbulance.  In my case the Sicce 1.0 was a larger output than the stock pump.  My thought was to use the spin stream to account for the extra flow since the spin stream causes a little reduction in flow when you use it.  Too much flow in such a little tank can be problematic for the inhabitants.

hey McK, it is powered by the flow of your return pump...so not self-powered, but powered non-the-less. that's why the product description says it creates 'ocean currents' in your tank.

if you're looking for more flow, that makes sense...was just curious because the spin stream does something similar to the MP10.  :D