Top Shelf Aquatics

How long does it take for a Hammer Coral and Torch Coral to fully extend?

phantoms0084

phantoms0084

I just bought a beautiful bicolor hammer coral and flouerscent tip 5 headed torch coral and received them yesterday morning. After about two hours of drip acclimating them I added the sandbed of my 29 gallon Biocube HQI. Since I added them yesterday morning the hammer coral has had very little progress and the torch coral's tentacles have reached about an inch. I'm getting a bit worried that I should be seeing more progress with the hammer coral by now and probably even the torch coral should be a bit better extended by now. I do filter feed both phyto and zoo plankton and do regular feedings of frozen mysis/brine shrimp. I have tried different currents using my Mp10...I currently keep it at a random moderate flow to accomodate both since the torch generally likes moderate to high and the hammer low to moderate. I have also raised my adjustable HQI lighting a couple inches so it's about 10 inches from the top of the glass...I read some people suggesting to give that a try as the hammers aren't fond off too much lighting. My parameters are as followed:

Lighting: 150w Phoenix 14k DE MH

Current: Random Moderate flow

Salinity: 1.025 (use Reef Crystals)

Temp: 78-80

PH- 8.2-8.3

Alk: 9 DKH

Calc: 380 ppm (working on two part drip system...awating dosing pumps by mail)

Ammonia/Nitrite/Nitrate: 0 (Use Purigen instead of protein skimmer w/ weekly water changes)

Phosphates: 0

Stock: 2 tank bred Ocellaris Clownfish, 1 midas blenny, 1 skunk shrimp, 1 peppermint shrimp, 1 blue tuxedo urchin, pretty average cleanup crew.

Is it pretty normal for these corals too take their time or should I be concerned?

post-78436-0-81489400-1364679699_thumb.jpg

post-78436-0-67280600-1364679702_thumb.jpg

post-78436-0-25636100-1364679706_thumb.jpg

Took my torch a good week or better to fully extend, don't remember my froggy (had it a long time).. +1 to above, give it a bit before worrying.. also, euphyllia will freak you out when it retracts for a few days just out of nowhere but it's normal.

phantoms0084

Thanks for the quick responses...these are my first LPS and they weren't cheap, which I'm sure you all know being in this hobby. I'm so used to polyps and softies opening in just a couple hours that it made me nervous after nearly 36 hours.

Thanks for the quick responses...these are my first LPS and they weren't cheap, which I'm sure you all know being in this hobby. I'm so used to polyps and softies opening in just a couple hours that it made me nervous after nearly 36 hours.

They look healthy. Should be fine once they adjust.

I got a hammer frag for my 5.5 a couple of weeks ago. It opened pretty quickly, but I had to move it around 3 or 4 times before I found a spot where it would fully extend.

phantoms0084

I got a hammer frag for my 5.5 a couple of weeks ago. It opened pretty quickly, but I had to move it around 3 or 4 times before I found a spot where it would fully extend.

I took your advice and simply swapped places betwen the torch and hammer corals just to try something different and literally within 30 minutes the hammer coral started to make progress. It's really amazing that such a small change in placement can make all the difference. I suspect since the hammer is now kind of under the mp10 head that it's getting much less direct flow now. I guess even at a low setting an mp10 in a 29 gallon can still be quite strong.

Archived