Cultivated Reef

ID this dongle..pwease ?

ZenFulFinz

i have no idea what this is...a anemone? mushroom of some sort? this is going to sound wrong but when you poke it ....it gets hard? *face palm*..

it hitchhiked in on a rock*? a mushroom was attached to. since the mushroom has left... i moved the tiny green piece into HIGH light area and its loving it. moving tentacles, likes meaty food *shrug*

any ideas ???

in the first pic. its the thing on the very left :P

the last pic is what it looked like when i got it ( i didnt buy "IT"...i bought the mushroom that had attached itself to it)...just a rock. i had no idea it was a coral and now...look...

added 2 more

post-78032-0-78450400-1364449912_thumb.jpg

post-78032-0-98788300-1364451006_thumb.jpg

post-78032-0-06966300-1364454086_thumb.jpg

post-78032-0-63661300-1364525213_thumb.jpg

post-78032-0-04799800-1364525219_thumb.jpg

• Replies 59
  • Created
  • Last Reply

doesnt have any "long sweeper tentacles" that iv seen and man i have just sat there looking at it for hours and hours...it is cool looking

Oh. Is is the one with tentacles in the second pic and those things in the last pic that look closed up? Most probably a LPS. Maybe a pic when it's fully open will help ID it better.

ok maybe im just being a dumb broad LOL... i just looked up pics of em and it looks alot like some of em!...maybe

Nothing wrong with trying to find out exactly what it is. :) I don't know the names of every coral that I have myself. But yeah, a better pic will help in identification.

seniorgreenpants

Looks like an elegance coral. Like posted before. Gets hard when you poke it. :blink: Ha. Does it not stay "inflated" once you poke it? Is it getting hard you feeling the base. Dont rub it, you dont want to tear the flesh. Looks reef friendly thought. What did you pay for the shroom rock w/bonus? Might of snagged something nice.

Get a day light pic.

Gets hard when you poke it. :blink: Ha. Does it not stay "inflated" once you poke it? Is it getting hard you feeling the base. Dont rub it, you dont want to tear the flesh.

And on this episode of "Reef things that sound dirty but there not"

Looks like an elegance coral. Like posted before. Gets hard when you poke it. :blink: Ha. Does it not stay "inflated" once you poke it? Is it getting hard you feeling the base. Dont rub it, you dont want to tear the flesh. Looks reef friendly thought. What did you pay for the shroom rock w/bonus? Might of snagged something nice.

Get a day light pic.

i think they gave it to me for a dollar bec the mushroom was soo tiny he was like go ahea pay for this rock...lol

this is as "fully open" as iv seen . id tell you what it tasted like but i try not to taste things in my tank lol i like to get the full effect lol look...touch...yes..it feels hard..the tentacles shrivel up .im done poking at it ...lol i cant believe how fast its growing tho. what ever it is...it looks somewhat like some pics iv seen of a elegance coral but really unlike alot of em.

it DOES look alot like some duncans ! the tentacles are all the same color i was reading about the elegance the tips are sometimes different collors... it does seem to have multiple "mouths" ?

Well now I am more confused because I haven't seen a mixmatched skeleton like that before. The large portion looks like montipora the bottom skeleton looks like a duncan :blink:

Definitely not an elgance or a duncan though.

I just saw this at my lfs. In over a year I've never seen it before. I asked I it was a "new" coral, or rare. It's not a difficult coral to get at all they said, its just not popular for some reason. I have no recollection of what he said its called. Sorry, I know that's by what you want to hear.

Its a bleached hydnophora.

I'd agree with that!

What's with all the font colors?

Maybe if you keep poking it, blow on it, and taste it we would be able to ID it. Hey, you said it, not me. ;)

The PE makes it look bizarre. They have a nasty sting don't they?

Yes, very aggressive, hardy, and a quick grower. For me anyway.

Archived