Premium Aquatics Aquarium Supplies

Justin's Mixed 9G

Justind823

I'm wondering if anyone has seen this before... My nano conchs, or whatever you want to call them, seem to has spider like capabilities. This is the first time I had the camera close enough to get a photo of one in the act. They seem to create some sort of near invisible mucus strand that they slide up and down on. My first thought was they were just suspending on a piece of algae but now that I've seen them do this a few times I'm certain that is not it. This was a small gap but I've seen them suspend down as far as 5" or so to get to the sand bed.

Sorry for the poor photos. I was trying to snap a few before it was over.

22319325466_c65e24e398.jpgIMG_8384 by Justin Desrosiers, on Flickr

22345348255_759bb2cc98.jpgIMG_8385 by Justin Desrosiers, on Flickr

21722571594_380240b205.jpgIMG_8386 by Justin Desrosiers, on Flickr

Me! I have :). Pretty crazy!

I agree...need more photos...with lights on :flower:.

Glad you're back! :) Tank looks great; the red grape looks awesome in that last shot. Mine kind of broke off along the stalks for some reason so now I just have little nubs of it..lol

Also, nano conches!! I've never seen the one I got from you do that though that's way cool. The other one died for some inexplicable reason so.... imma need some more :ninja:

I'm wondering if anyone has seen this before... My nano conchs, or whatever you want to call them, seem to has spider like capabilities. This is the first time I had the camera close enough to get a photo of one in the act. They seem to create some sort of near invisible mucus strand that they slide up and down on. My first thought was they were just suspending on a piece of algae but now that I've seen them do this a few times I'm certain that is not it. This was a small gap but I've seen them suspend down as far as 5" or so to get to the sand bed.

Sorry for the poor photos. I was trying to snap a few before it was over.

22319325466_c65e24e398.jpgIMG_8384 by Justin Desrosiers, on Flickr

22345348255_759bb2cc98.jpgIMG_8385 by Justin Desrosiers, on Flickr

21722571594_380240b205.jpgIMG_8386 by Justin Desrosiers, on Flickr

Have they bred for you yet?

• Like 1

Jedi Conchs!

You really need to update us more, need a proper FTS and some closeups! :)

Haha I think they will be featured in the upcoming movie. Maybe the force has awakened them!

I'll get on it! Been super busy at work but it's slowing down now so time to get back to the aquarium!

• Like 1

Me! I have :). Pretty crazy!

I agree...need more photos...with lights on :flower:.

Cool! I wonder if anyone has ever written an article about it. I'd like to read about what exactly is going on there.

Glad you're back! :) Tank looks great; the red grape looks awesome in that last shot. Mine kind of broke off along the stalks for some reason so now I just have little nubs of it..lol

Also, nano conches!! I've never seen the one I got from you do that though that's way cool. The other one died for some inexplicable reason so.... imma need some more :ninja:

Yea me too! The red grape grows like mad so I'm trimming it pretty much every other water change.

Yea you should watch out for it, pretty crazy to see them dangling like that. It's basically like having a Spider-man in the tank.

They just started laying eggs the other day again so once I start seeing little ones around the tank I'll let yah know

Have they bred for you yet?

Oh yah. They are always laying eggs around the tank. From what I've noticed once one dies of old age then they start laying eggs and I start seeing little babies in a month or so.

• Like 1

Yeah, for sure! i think the algae that's left is starting to grow though. Love for it to get to where yours is at. Also didn't you move further north? :/ it'll be a bit harder to stop by to check things out haha but I definitely need some more conches...

How long do they usually last for you?

I'm just getting my equipment together to start my first reef and have zero experience with conches, but I know that my freshwater snails can "glide" up, down, across and at an angle in the water column by adjusting the air in their bodies. I'm guessing the conches are doing the same.

Cool! I wonder if anyone has ever written an article about it. I'd like to read about what exactly is going on there.

Yea me too! The red grape grows like mad so I'm trimming it pretty much every other water change.

Yea you should watch out for it, pretty crazy to see them dangling like that. It's basically like having a Spider-man in the tank.

They just started laying eggs the other day again so once I start seeing little ones around the tank I'll let yah know

Oh yah. They are always laying eggs around the tank. From what I've noticed once one dies of old age then they start laying eggs and I start seeing little babies in a month or so.

Sharing is caring...show you care GDI, lol

I didn't even know I had that type of snail but it looked the same and would flop around in the current. Seemed to be attached to a web/string to me but not sure I ever actually saw what it was.

So....some news for this tank.

Turns out the small earthquake the other day was just enough to crack the back panel of my tank. I came home to a wet floor and an empty tank at the end of the day. There must have already been some stress on the back of the tank with the plumbing and combined with the thin glass it didn't take mu

I won't be drilling this one. The glass on this tank is thicker but I'm afraid to drill it after this experience. I'll be making a few things to clean up the display.

Anyway, I have today off from work so I've been working on the new stand and other than the inside of it, I'm finished.

13295837254_98dd7f0aa4_b.jpg

13295636733_380604c6d0_b.jpg

I really link you stand. I have been search for this for ages. I was looking at play lockers or used hospital furniture but no luck. Where did u find it? Is there a particular name for a cabinet like that?

Yeah, for sure! i think the algae that's left is starting to grow though. Love for it to get to where yours is at. Also didn't you move further north? :/ it'll be a bit harder to stop by to check things out haha but I definitely need some more conches...

How long do they usually last for you?

Yeah I'm up near Sonoma now so not so much of a quick stop anymore. A small USPS box isn't expensive though! I don't know how long they last really, I've had a few disappear on me but I know one of them I've had since the beginning.

I'm just getting my equipment together to start my first reef and have zero experience with conches, but I know that my freshwater snails can "glide" up, down, across and at an angle in the water column by adjusting the air in their bodies. I'm guessing the conches are doing the same.

That's pretty cool! Ill have to check that out. These conchs are definitely hanging on a thread though.

Sharing is caring...show you care GDI, lol

?

I didn't even know I had that type of snail but it looked the same and would flop around in the current. Seemed to be attached to a web/string to me but not sure I ever actually saw what it was.

Yes exactly that. I'm keeping the camera next to the tank from now on in case I catch them again.

So...... I'm gonna need some of those nano conchs :D

Yeah I bet! Once those babies start growing

I really link you stand. I have been search for this for ages. I was looking at play lockers or used hospital furniture but no luck. Where did u find it? Is there a particular name for a cabinet like that?

So the cabinet is originally from Ikea but it doesn't look like they sell it anymore. It was a two door blue locker unit. I used the bottom half for the stand sanding down all the blue paint and then giving it a brushed look. I also cut up an old cutting board and fixed it to the top.

EDIT: Yea IKEA doesn't even have it listed on their site anymore. You can see it here on Amazon at least, you just can't purchase it. http://www.amazon.com/ikea-cabinet-locker-turquoise-locking/dp/b00fmytquo

• Like 2
  • 2 weeks later...

I'm curious, did you end up adding a yellow-striped cardinal to keep the goby and pistol company?

No never got around to it. The goby is actually noticeably bigger now so I'm not sure I'll end up getting the cardinal at all. We'll see though! I might come across something I can't live without at the LFS

I'm leaving for Zion tomorrow morning! omgomgomg Headed out for our annual backpacking trip, I'm just finishing up packing. Should be a blast.

I'll have lots of pictures from the trip when I get back. I'm also going to try and post up an FTS tonight as long as the tank is looking good.

In other news I replaced my ato (it crapped out on me a month or so ago) with one from autotopoff.com. My previous ato was from there but I realized I've had that since I got into the hobby about ten years ago. That right there is the reason I went with them again. I'd say that's a pretty good run! This time I went with the double float switch which gives me a lot more peace of mind than the single one I've had all these years.

• Like 2

Well I never got around to taking that FTS last night. Too much double checking I had everything for the trip and lazing around. I'm on a flight down to long beach right now to meet the lady who was already down in LA for work and then we're driving off to meet the other trailblazers in Vegas!

• Like 1
  • 2 months later...

No time like the present :P

Haha! I've been waiting on a shiny new updated NBR unit from Dave. Looks like it's on its way now so next wth I'll have some shots for you guys. The CFL I have above it now doesn't do the tank justice.

• Like 3
  • 3 weeks later...

Justin, I went through your entire journal. Wow what a nice trip. I hope my Eheim 9 gallon turns out half as nice as yours. Ammonia part of my cycle is just starting. Once my tank has cycled would love to get a couple of those nano conch's. I'll be happy to take care of the shipping charges. I have a bunch of Zoas, Ric's and shrooms sitting in my 45 gallon ready to go.

Justin, I went through your entire journal. Wow what a nice trip. I hope my Eheim 9 gallon turns out half as nice as yours. Ammonia part of my cycle is just starting. Once my tank has cycled would love to get a couple of those nano conch's. I'll be happy to take care of the shipping charges. I have a bunch of Zoas, Ric's and shrooms sitting in my 45 gallon ready to go.

Nice! You'll have no problem making that tank look wonderful.

My nano conch population seems to be down. Once it's back up I'll let you know. I just have one or two left and I haven't seen babies in a long time.

24907148335_867a82a2db_h.jpg

Here's the tank at the moment! I added a small rock from a long ago reef cleaners order to mount the growing hammer on. Unfortunately I lost my pom pom crab that I had for almost three years. Looked like he went through a bad molt...but the pistol shrimp thought he made a tasty meal. Such is life under the sea! Also, my fox coral is on the decline. Really not sure what the problem is since I thought it was supposed to be an easy coral.

I'm planning on picking up a dosing system for this tank. The water changes and kalk in the ATO don't seem to be keeping up anymore. Something simple for just dosing two part.

Oh! Dave at NanoBox was kind enough to upgrade my Tide fixture! It's amazing how small the fixture even compared to the old model the quality is even better than before.

• Like 8
  • 2 weeks later...