Cultivated Reef

Justin's Mixed 9G

Justind823

I finally got around to a water change today plus scraping the sides. My neon green toadstool has been on the mend in the sump and is back to it's old self so I moved up to the DT. I trimmed up the macro to give the ducan some more room to breathe and also trimmed up some small spots of gha. With all the cleaning I had to take some glamour shots!

You can see the pistol out in this one :)

19767912808_1a5d607905_b.jpg

19334998083_297b0b754e_b.jpg

• Like 14

I really like the scape in your setup. Almost like a full blown tree in the corner. Does your pistol shrimp try to bury everything?

Thanks! At first I wasn't in love with that island I made but since things have grown in, the island has grown on me.

The pistol shrimp is actually a good aquarium resident. I was skeptical having heard about the nonstop sandstorms and coral burying but since I added I'm very happy I did. They have a main burrow under the rock on the left and a backup under the tree looking rock on the right. It may be the sand I used but I never get any sandstorms and with the coral placement nothing ends up buried (except maybe some green zoas - I have tons of those so no biggie). Their relationship adds a really neat aspect to my tank.

I'm considering adding a small cardinal fish to my tank. What do you guys think? Does anyone have experience adding a peaceful fish to a tank with a watchmen goby and pistol buddy?

Something like this:

p-77867-orange-lined-cardi.jpg

Found HERE

• Like 1

I'm considering adding a small cardinal fish to my tank. What do you guys think? Does anyone have experience adding a peaceful fish to a tank with a watchmen goby and pistol buddy?

Something like this:

Found HERE

That is a pretty fish! I have a pistol in my Spec V, the Yasha goby jumped long time ago sadly. Have not replaced it since then since I have a clown in the Spec and did not have space for another fish. I love my pistol, but if I happen to place something on the sand for a day, he buries it. Little snot.

Something like this:

Found HERE

I had a couple of those guys. They act very much like the bangaii cardinalfish behaviorally. Not sure how they'd be with a watchman and pistol but I'm thinking it'd be just fine. You can't tell from the photo but they have a large mouth like the bangaiis. Mine were fine with two small clownfish.

That is a pretty fish! I have a pistol in my Spec V, the Yasha goby jumped long time ago sadly. Have not replaced it since then since I have a clown in the Spec and did not have space for another fish. I love my pistol, but if I happen to place something on the sand for a day, he buries it. Little snot.

Haha I guess I got lucky with my pistol.

I had a couple of those guys. They act very much like the bangaii cardinalfish behaviorally. Not sure how they'd be with a watchman and pistol but I'm thinking it'd be just fine. You can't tell from the photo but they have a large mouth like the bangaiis. Mine were fine with two small clownfish.

Cool, well that's one for adding the cardinal to my tank! I'll have to google around to see if anyone has had established ywgs get aggressive towards newly added fish.

Very impressive. Keep it up.

Thanks! Will do!

• Like 1

WOW! Very pretty. Your pistol shrimp is so little and cute!!

Yea he's doing a little dance in that FTS. They are a perfect fit for my aquarium. The crabs probably disagree since the get slapped every time they crawl by the burrow.

• 2 weeks later...

great pics!

Thanks!

would love to see a video of the tank and sump sometime :D

Yea yea yea all take and no give! Where are your tank updates huh?! :lol:

I'd like to get a video up soon. I'm using the pulse mode on my Vortech now that I upgraded to the QD. Everything seems to love it

One more close up

20533226580_86799c0186_b.jpg

• Like 2
  • 2 months later...

Great shots!

Thanks!

The lady and I took a trip to Monterey last weekend and of course stopped at the aquarium.

22323671472_1bf97d76d6_b.jpg

22148655270_1b68c54e56_b.jpg

22336697195_4460eed848_b.jpg

22336710775_b2a1c1f0e7_b.jpg

Hey it's the back of my head!

22336714495_421e822e1e_b.jpg

• Like 4

I'm wondering if anyone has seen this before... My nano conchs, or whatever you want to call them, seem to has spider like capabilities. This is the first time I had the camera close enough to get a photo of one in the act. They seem to create some sort of near invisible mucus strand that they slide up and down on. My first thought was they were just suspending on a piece of algae but now that I've seen them do this a few times I'm certain that is not it. This was a small gap but I've seen them suspend down as far as 5" or so to get to the sand bed.

Sorry for the poor photos. I was trying to snap a few before it was over.

22319325466_c65e24e398.jpgIMG_8384 by Justin Desrosiers, on Flickr

22345348255_759bb2cc98.jpgIMG_8385 by Justin Desrosiers, on Flickr

21722571594_380240b205.jpgIMG_8386 by Justin Desrosiers, on Flickr

• Like 4
  • Haha 1