SaltCritters.com

Slay's 16g IM Nuvo! Always Work in Progress.....

slaychild

• Replies 73
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • 3 weeks later...

What Kessil are you using?

I'm thinking about getting the Sky Blue for the center of my 16g. However, I may try putting the two IM lights on the far left/right of the tank, above each media chamber, instead of in the middle, as yours are. I thought the Kessil would be more than enough for the center, and I don't like the outer spread I get with the lights when they're all in the middle (the skimmer kind of forces you to do that).

Did you try putting the IM lights on the far left/right above the media basket chambers?

What's it look like when the Kessil is on, and only the blue LED's are on the IM lights? Maybe a picture, when you can? :)

I have the Ocean Blue Kessil. I have tried the way you are talking about and it doesn't look good

This is how I have my IM lights now and I like it. Looks cool, HERE YOU GO

20131211_193402.jpg

I am really thinking of building a canopy for it also, I dont know maybe

Thanks for the picture! Did you not like the other light setup because of aesthetics, light spread, something else? I fear too much light would maybe shine outside the tank (on the sides).

Drove a hour and a half to get new family members. Got some good deals to!!!!

20131215_184740.jpg

20131215_184810.jpg

Got this Pocillopora frag for $4.99. The tip's dont look good but it looks better in my tank, will see if it pulls through....

20131215_184818.jpg

20131215_184840.jpg

20131215_184847.jpg

Just thought I would share my Thanksgiving surprise!!!!

http://s598.photobucket.com/user/slaychild/media/IMG_272083161216-1.jpg.html'>IMG_272083161216-1.jpg

Ok, I got my replacement tank and now I have finished restocking. But NOW the IM Protein Skimmer is producing a bunch of micro bubbles!!!! They said that this would go away but it has been running for over 6 months and they look way worse in the black tank. What to do now????

http://s598.photobucket.com/user/slaychild/media/20131217_135929.jpg.html'>20131217_135929.jpg

http://s598.photobucket.com/user/slaychild/media/20131217_135939.jpg.html'>20131217_135939.jpg

http://s598.photobucket.com/user/slaychild/media/20131217_135944.jpg.html'>20131217_135944.jpg

<blockquote class='ipsBlockquote'data-author="slaychild" data-cid="4577729" data-time="1387391801"><p>

Does anyone know of a better skimmer I can use on this tank????</p></blockquote> can u fit the pls-50?

Does anyone know of a better skimmer I can use on this tank????

How long have you had it? All skimmers have break-in/bubble periods for a couple weeks, at least. That said, the IM skimmer seems to have a longer break-in period than most. Check out my thread/experience with the skimmer (link below) - I had all sorts of issues, but now seem to be in a good place with it.

http://www.nano-reef.com/topic/325830-rdck99s-16g-nuvo-reef-first-saltwater-tank;-new-pictures-on-12113/?p=4398714

How long have you had it? All skimmers have break-in/bubble periods for a couple weeks, at least. That said, the IM skimmer seems to have a longer break-in period than most. Check out my thread/experience with the skimmer (link below) - I had all sorts of issues, but now seem to be in a good place with it.

http://www.nano-reef.com/topic/325830-rdck99s-16g-nuvo-reef-first-saltwater-tank;-new-pictures-on-12113/?p=4398714

I have had this skimmer running for 6 months, just a different tank now.

I have had this skimmer running for 6 months, just a different tank now.

I setup my skimmer in May and it began working properly in November. Ridiculous, I know. Considering you've only had fish in the tank a short while, that may have affected the break-in period. If you have a skimmer running in a fish-less tank that's not being fed regularly, the break-in period isn't really occurring. At least that's my understanding. You need to have fish/food byproducts in the tank to help build up a slime-like coating in the inner canister of the skimmer, and once that's established, the break-in period should be over...again, I'm no expert but am just trying to regurgitate what IM has told me in the past. You could try the filter floss trick, like I did...that definitely helped kill my micro bubbles.

• 3 weeks later...
reefernanoman

Hey slay. I have been with my tank for many years(28g nanocube), and have used a skimmer on and off since 2006. I can honestly say that I have not noticed any difference when not using my skimmer on the health of my tank inhabitants. I just do religious water changes(once a week 3 gallons) to keep things in check.

How is the sump/refug working for you? What size tank is under it?

I removed the sump, it kept losing suction.

Hey slay. I have been with my tank for many years(28g nanocube), and have used a skimmer on and off since 2006. I can honestly say that I have not noticed any difference when not using my skimmer on the health of my tank inhabitants. I just do religious water changes(once a week 3 gallons) to keep things in check.

I have head that also. Thanks for the info.

• 3 months later...
  • 1 month later...
Muddy Waters

hope all your issues have been sorted. that yellow sil got me to thinking, years ago I used a freshie med(no clue what, don't ask :) ) and it turned the sil yellow. total noob to saltie systems , did u perhaps add something? the med I used if I recall correctly was the same shade of yellow that the sil turned to.

gave up on the sump? pardon me , the fuge :P

Cameron6796

You say you lost suction? I thought the video says it isn't a siphon though, would it have been catastrophic if u kept it. Would it have over flowed? I was thinking of doing the same thing to an aio, what was it like when it worked was it safe

• 1 year later...

Archived