Premium Aquatics Aquarium Supplies

Slay's 16g IM Nuvo! Always Work in Progress.....

slaychild

Hello all. welcome to my Nano page. I hope you like. I have been out of the hobby ever sense I got back from Afghanistan on 2010. Now I talked my wife into getting back in and she bought it, lol!! These are my plains for the tank.

I will go BB. And went with Real reef Live rock.

Equipment

Controller - ReefKeeper LIte

Skimmer - IM SkimMate Nano Protein Skimmer

Media - MiniMax All-In-One Media Reactor

Circulation - EcoTech Marine MP10

Heater - ViaAqua Titanium Aquarium 100w

ATO - Tunze Nano Osmolator 3152

RO/DI Unit - SpectraPure® Maxpure 40 GPD RO/DI

Light - Kessil A150W Ocean Blue along with stock IM lights

Return Pump - MaxiJet 1200

Live Stock - Current

Fish:

False Ocellaris Clownfish

Blue/Green Chromis

Royal Gramma

Blue Mandarin

Coral:

3 Head Hammer

Goniopora

Candycane

Green Pocillopora

Matrix Favites

Blue Tree Gorgonian

Misc. Zoanthids

• Replies 73
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Mainly coral, but I want a Mandarin that is why I want a fuge. But most likely a clown. I am only going to have one to two fish.

are you going to sump it, and the pvc is the hardline drain? i am having trouble telling how that is going to work.

Looking great so far! Are you going to stay with the stock lighting?

For now.

I just did a leak test and guess what? We got a bleeder. On the bottom of the acrylic wall it leaks back into the display and it leaks from the display to the filter. I called Innovative Marine and I have to wait for an email and then fill it out and take pictures before they will send me another one, grrrrrr.

On a brighter side!! I tested the refugium and the plumbing and it work amazingly. I'm a genius, lol. I took video and will post it soon.

Nice job with the plumbing. I'd upgrade those stock lights ASAP. Even the easiest softies get all stretched out under them.

For now.

I just did a leak test and guess what? We got a bleeder. On the bottom of the acrylic wall it leaks back into the display and it leaks from the display to the filter. I called Innovative Marine and I have to wait for an email and then fill it out and take pictures before they will send me another one, grrrrrr.

On a brighter side!! I tested the refugium and the plumbing and it work amazingly. I'm a genius, lol. I took video and will post it soon.

That sucks, I had the exact same problem with the front leaking into the back section. IM's customer service was great though and I didn't have that problem with the replacement tank.

I talked to the boss man over there and he asked if I could fix it. If I did he would send me something free in the mail. So I am going to re-silicone the bottom wall and see if that works. If it doesn't he will send another tank,

I also have an IM 16 and was contemplating adding a sump and realized this would be the best way. I see you have your pvc overflow in the return pump chamber of the nuvo and the return from your sump in the 1st chamber of the nuvo sump. Not that experienced in this, but would that cause a bit of a short cycle? Basically you are circulating the water through your external sump into the nuvo sump and then back into your external sump again without it entering the DT. Would the pvc overflow be better served in the first or second compartments on the opposite side that way it is drawing water from your DT?

The return was moved to the center chamber. The video was just a check to see how things would work. Don't worry about where the water comes from and where it goes, the Nuvo's pump will circulate all the water. I'm not running a sump, but a refugium. Almost the same. Just make sure the return pump has enough power to return the water. I used a Maxijet 900 and didn't need to add a cut off to it. Any more power and you may need one. I still may add one. I used 3/4" pvc to make the overflow because its flow is over 200 gph. Also, make sure your return is out of the water and is pouring in. If there is a power outage the line will suck water back into your fuge/sump. Always!!! After setup do a power outage test (unplug all pumps)!!! Just to make sure there is no overflows!!!!! Good luck

Nice job with the plumbing. I'd upgrade those stock lights ASAP. Even the easiest softies get all stretched out under them.

Stock light have enough PAR for soft corals.

I see. Are you going to put your skimmer and media reactor in the rear chambers? I have the skimmate nano and had it in the rear chamber. Took it out after a few months because of the noise and appearance. Now I got the sps bug and would like to put it back in but was thinking of a better quality skimmer and a sump to hide it. would also be able to move the fuge I have in the rear chamber and make it bigger. I found out the hard way about the return line being above the water when I set up my ATO.... Anyway I will be following this thread to see how it works out. I love the white background good luck!

Im going to see if the skimmer will go into the fuge but if it doesn't I may buy another like a Tunze nano. What ATO are you using?

JBJ with an MJ1200. Works well. Haven't had a problem that wasn't user error. lol. I would recommend putting a ball valve on the discharge line if you are using a larger pump. It allows you to slow the speed at which the water feeds into the tank. There is a a few second delay from when the float switch trips to when the pump is turned off. Found that one out the hard way too! Nothing like having your salinity drop from 1.026 to 1.023 in 10 seconds and running to the LFS at 8PM on a weeknight for premixed water... I probably would have gotten the tunze osmolator if I had done more research.

Stock light have enough PAR for soft corals.

To survive maybe, not to thrive. My corals started coloring up and actually growing after I supplemented the stock lighting. It's always interesting to see how these NUVO build progress, since everyone does something a little different.

I ran the stock lights for about 4 months. I had zoas, mushrooms, a leather, a candycane, frogspawn, a bubble and a torch that all survived fine. zoas and mushrooms were growing and multiplying. Bubble coral was also growing well. Everything else was just surviving, not thriving. I upgraded to a Maxspect Razor R420R 16K and can visibly see the growth and color improvement. I am going to have to get rid of my leather soon, it has almost doubled in size in the last 2 months.

For now.

Is the tank leaking or is the false wall leaking? If it's just the false wall, I wouldn't worry about it. If it's the tank they get it replaced.

I talked to the boss man over there and he asked if you could fix it. If I did he would send me something free in the mail. So I am going to re-silicone the bottom wall and see if that works. If it doesn't he will send another tank,

Have him send you another pair of lights.

It is leaking from the false wall. I re-siliconed it and he is sending me the rotating returns.

This is the light I may go with, dont know yet.

http://www.reefbreeders.com/value_led_fixtures.html

Nice job on fixing it yourself. I'm not sure what your budget is for the light but I would suggest the controllable version. It's only $320 shipped and is a great value for what you get. Full spectrum, controllable via touch interface or remote, 3 control channels, they are linkable and come with nice hanging kits. I'm very happy with mine. It's very well built and feels that way, doesn't feel cheap at all.

Nice job on fixing it yourself. I'm not sure what your budget is for the light but I would suggest the controllable version. It's only $320 shipped and is a great value for what you get. Full spectrum, controllable via touch interface or remote, 3 control channels, they are linkable and come with nice hanging kits. I'm very happy with mine. It's very well built and feels that way, doesn't feel cheap at all.

Yea, I was looking at that one. It looks nice, the only problem is I just spent a lot since i'm starting completely over again, lol

OK, I have siliconed the tank again and again to stop the leaks. I think I have it now and the system is up and running to were I want it. Let's see where it goes now.....

Archived